Jones Golf Stand Bag Review

Hawk

Master Painter
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of you that have been around the game long enough may recognize the brand Jones Golf. They were the makers of the original single strap carry bag that was (as the company puts it), "arguably the most successful and iconic carry bag in the history of the game."

The brand is being reinvented with modern materials and some new designs. The original Jones Bag is available, but I'll be reviewing the Jones Stand Bag, which incorporates some modern features with the retro theme.

Features:
-The Jones single strap for ambidextrous carry
-Signature fur top club divider
-Signature twisted handle
-Signature two zippered ball pouch
-Full length club dividers
-Original Jones Bottom Mold
-Updated stand mechanism
-Two Full length outerwear pockets
-Two Valuables valour lined pouches
-Two Mesh Exterior pockets
-Two Exterior umbrella sleeves
-Clear owner ID sleeve
-Includes rain hood

Specs
-Top: 7.75 x 8” / 3 way divider
-Pockets: 3 (2) front (1) back
-Single strap
-Made with MTL Nylon
-Weight: 5.4 lbs

Haven't done much more than check it out and put some clubs in it at this point, but a few things stood out to me. First of all, it's very light at appx 5.5lbs. Second, the two zipper ball pouch is pretty cool. One zipper opens a smaller compartment that fits just golf balls, while the other zipper opens a larger chamber than can fit everything else you choose to carry.

Three full length dividers is a little different, but the clubs fit in there just fine. The single strap is definitely interesting. Walking around with the loaded bag in the yard was pretty natural. I'll be interested to see how it works out for a full walking round, which I'll be doing very soon.

There are four color options in this line and custom embroidery is available. Here are some pics to check out:

DSCN3017-L.jpg

DSCN3019-L.jpg

DSCN3020-L.jpg

DSCN3018-L.jpg

DSCN3016-L.jpg

DSCN3027-L.jpg

DSCN3024-L.jpg

DSCN3025-L.jpg

DSCN3026-L.jpg

I don't have the time to read it all, but I want to say thank you Hawk for getting this out. I've followed Jones bags for a long time and have not heard any reviews on the stand bag. Looking forward to it all. They are a truly original classic.

Thanks again buddy :)

Formerly known as California92

I really like the look of that bag! If only I was a walker.

While not what I'm looking for in a bag, it certainly is different fir someone looking for an old school feel

• Staff
While not what I'm looking for in a bag, it certainly is different fir someone looking for an old school feel

It's different for sure. My limited experience carrying is with double strap bags, so my first thought was that it would be more cumbersome. Again, this is just yard testing, but it was very natural and easy to grab the strap and throw it over my shoulder. Quicker than putting on a double strap bag for sure. How that translates to hoofing it on the course remains to be seen, but I'll definitely find out soon.

As I read the description I wasn't so sure that I would like the bag, but when I saw the pictures I was pleasantly surprised. It is really a great retro looking bag with everything you would expect to find in a modern stand bag. Pretty cool.

Tapatalk 2: The sequel is even better than the original.

Love the looks of the original Jones bag. This one is a little stranger to meet, it looks like it has some modern features but then has the single strap when screams throwback to me. I'll be eager to read your feedback on walking with this bag.

I thought these would be right up my alley but they don't have my interest. I remember using a single strap and walking the course. At the 15th hole I felt like I was walking on a tilt I like the equal weight of the dual strap.

Looks like it has some decent features but I just can't really like it.

Color/design is just really blah to me. Perhaps cause I like a more modern flavor with more color, etc. don't like the fur stuff on the club dividers either.

To each their own, definitely a classic look.

I thought these would be right up my alley but they don't have my interest. I remember using a single strap and walking the course. At the 15th hole I felt like I was walking on a tilt I like the equal weight of the dual strap.

I did wonder about that a bit. The only thing that I wonder is if the light weight will make that less of an issue. I'll find out this weekend hopefully.

Looks like it has some decent features but I just can't really like it.

Color/design is just really blah to me. Perhaps cause I like a more modern flavor with more color, etc. don't like the fur stuff on the club dividers either.

To each their own, definitely a classic look.

I can see that for sure Cookie. I'm a fan of simple, understated, retro, whatever you want to call it, but I know that there will be many people out there that feel the same way you do. I think I'd prefer a different color combo if I was picking out my own, but that's beside the point.

I love this look.

Jones_Waxed-Canvas_Bag_216x128_pod.jpg

Certainly a classic look to it. I like the full length dividers and I love that fur around the top as well. Sounds like a solid bag but I'm not crazy about the look myself. I do look forward to hearing more though, have fun with the review Hawk.

Looks like the bag is one of the first stand bags with the expendable legs. From the 70s or whenever they came out.

The orginal Jones bag came out in the 70's I believe Thainer.

The nostalgia lover in me is so dang excited to take this out to the course. I'm going to do a little solo golfing early morning this weekend and it will be a perfect way to break it in. The company's tag line is #enjoyyourwalk and it's got me feeling all peaceful-ish already.

Hoping for two things.

1 - it's not uncortable to hoof with one strap.
2 - three way divider is easy to work with on a stand bag.

Either way, I'll know soon.

The nostalgia lover in me is so dang excited to take this out to the course. I'm going to do a little solo golfing early morning this weekend and it will be a perfect way to break it in. The company's tag line is #enjoyyourwalk and it's got me feeling all peaceful-ish already.

Hoping for two things.

1 - it's not uncortable to hoof with one strap.
2 - three way divider is easy to work with on a stand bag.

Either way, I'll know soon.

If you are playing 18 I bet your shoulder will be wore slap out.

looks like an old style golf bag with a stand bag twist. Not too bad looking. Oh and I love the way that plaid headcover looks in it.

If you are playing 18 I bet your shoulder will be wore slap out.

Only one way to find out! I'm not planning on loading it up with extra junk just in case.

Only one way to find out! I'm not planning on loading it up with extra junk just in case.

I do like one strap for rounds at short tracks, but after a round it gets tiresome. I hope you enjoy it

I grew up with single strap bags. I prefer them. You just use your other arm to hold the bottom of the bag and that takes the pressure/weight off the shoulder with the strap. And alternate which shoulder you put the strap over.

It was good for the range today. Don't have a lot of stuff in it yet, but some balls, tees, and all my clubs. Seems pretty light and is easy pick up and sling over the shoulder. Not 100% sold on the three dividers at the moment. Have been used to 6 here for a bit.

Shoulder is fine :D

Actually, it wasn't even a small concern for me. I had a dozen balls, water bottle, misc crap, range finder, and clubs, so everything I'd normally have in tow. The strap has a good inch or more of padding, so that helps. I honestly think it's easier to just pick up and go with than a double strap. Plus, the right arm rests on the bag, which stops all the swaying and chatter. Is it better or worse? Probably neither. Just different.

Only complaint I can come up with is the 3-way divider system. It's full length, but everything still feels a little crammed in and there were times I had issues getting clubs in or out when the legs were extended. What I found out was that it was easiest to just pick the bag up, sling it over my shoulder, and pop the club in. Worked much better that way.

The ball pocket was handy and easy to reach with my right hand while walking, as were all the pockets on the side away from my body. One thing that would be nice would be a water bottle pocket. Just easier to have it right there on the outside of the bag instead of having to open a pocket and grab it.

In all, neat little bag. I felt good carrying it.

Had a chance to put this on a cart tonight and it did really well. Not much of that awkwardness you get from some stand bags on carts when it comes to sitting square. I'll reiterate that the 3 way divider is not my favorite. Still feels light and easy to grab from the vehicle.

Wrapping this one up soon.

Neat bag and it has some things that I really like. I'm a retro fan and this is about as retro as you can get, while still maintaining some of things that we've become accustomed to with modern bags. Also has some things that I think it needs to compete with its peers (assuming that's what they are trying to do).

Got one of these in black. I love it. Single strap lets me carry it over either shoulder. Love the compact design. Plenty of room for everything I need including rain gear if it's in the forecast. It's interesting how bloated golf bags have gotten over the years, much like me.

Very cool Haggis. Now you need a Seamus headcover or two.

Back