Jump on it, or lay off?

Six4three5

Tour Star...Layin' Up!
Reaction score
Handicap
2.5 GHIN
Interested in seeing what is easier for you guys when you're in between distances and why. Is it easier for you to jump on a club and put a little extra in the swing to get it there or lay off on one club higher? For me I always find it easier to take an extra club up and put on a smooth swing. Problem with that is as we know sometimes you can hit it "to good" and still get to much distance.

Last edited:
I'd much rather smooth a longer club. I tend to hook it when I step on an iron.

I usually go up/smooth pending being short and allow for roll, unless there is a carry involved.

For the most part I'll club up and swing easy. Trying to squeeze extra yards out of a club usually ends badly for me.

I'm with you guys. When I try and jump on it usually causes bad habits which means standing up and out and going way right.

I'd rather swing hard. Swinging soft isn't something I normally do with anything outside of 100 yards, so I tend to get out of rhythm and bad things happen.

Interested in seeing what is easier for you guys when you're in between distances and why. Is it easier for you to jump on a club and put a little extra in the swing to get it there or lay off on one club higher? For me I always find it easier to take an extra club up and put on a smooth swing. Probably with that is as we know sometimes you can hit it "to good" and still get to much distance.

I find it easier to hit an easy club by clubbing up one and swinging nice and easy and smooth, I'd rather do that the. Try to hit the crap out of an iron that is sjorter

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

Most of the time I will take the next club up and choke up an inch or so, then swing normally. If there is trouble long I will occasionally take the shorter club and swing a little harder.

I will always take the shorter club and give 'er. My swing seems to respond better when I get after it. The course I play most being long is simply never an option either.

never ever for never ever forever... EVER. try to kill a club. way easier just to club up and swing smooth. much more reliable too.

I would prefer to step on it, but with the current shafts in my irons I end up ballooning the ball when I step on it. When I swing easy my misses tend to get bigger, it brings a BIG hook into play.

I find that taking a longer club and then choking down a bit with a normal full swing is best for me.
That way, I don't "baby" the swing.

I find that taking a longer club and then choking down a bit with a normal full swing is best for me.

That is what I have been doing lately, with positive results.

It really depends on how wide the gap is between distances. If there is no trouble and the club in hand will still get me on the green, ill swing hard and take what I am given. If the conditions call for a smooth increase with trouble to carry then I am clubbing up, choking down and taking a normal swing.

This is the way to go. Of course, I don't think about this (dummy me) on the course. But, I'll certainly try to remember.

Only bad things happen when I try to "jump on it". I always take more club than I need.

Stand on it. My 'full swing' is not close to 100% so I have some left in the tank. Has always been easier for me to give it a little more than try to take some off. Not saying that is the right way to do it, just the way I approach it.

I'd much rather smooth a longer club. I tend to hook it when I step on an iron.

+1....I've learned to smooth easy with a longer club rather than step on a shorter club. Much better results and the mistakes aren't as bad

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I like to step on it and try to smash it.

I take one club longer and make a nice easy swing. Works best for me.

lay off, no doubt

Depends on what the best miss is.

Back