pumbaa

Teem Tour Edge 2024!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So my son is starting to outgrow his 54" UL stuff from US Kids. I wanted to do the trade up program but they are offering 4 dollars a club, why even freaking bother 🙄.

So 57 is the next step on most companies but I feel like his game is getting to the point where I want to get a little better gear. Anyone have experience with flynn, some of the TS gear from us kids, or custom making stuff?

I see some saying grab a light head from a major oem and throw a cut down light shaft in it, and I will say he swung 3 full size drivers on Saturday and hit them all fairly well (definitely too big but actually hit the ball well) myself, @Nick Kane, and another guys which were an m1 with attas3 shaft, ping g425 with a stiff alta shaft, and my c722 with ventus blue.

Help! I'm researching myself into a rabbit hole of crazy

USKG TS - great set of junior irons. Stronger shafts for decently strong juniors but still flexible enough to create feel. My son played these until his coaches said they were too soft. I think these clubs helped create a good foundation for his swing because they were designed for junior golfers within a height range.

Flynn Golf - they weren’t in the club making business when I was in the market but their VT Maxx shafts were great. They were able to make a shaft with the right flex for a similar height junior swinging about 70-74mph at order time. Most junior shafts were too flexible and most adult shafts were too firm. Really like them for a driver shaft in an adult (women’s) driver head. Shafts were good to over 200 yards, probably close to 220 before we switched to adult shafts. If the clubs are anything like the shafts they’ll be top notch.

Lightweight OEM adult heads - my son played women’s heads for a few years. They were a little lighter than the men’s heads. The problem was the rabbit hole of shaft EI profiles and having to guess at how butt trimming would affect the feel. It’s a ton of work to do as close to right as I could get. The change in effective lie angle led to some swing issues that really got bad later. Mainly due to correcting flight by swinging further right which caused overdrawing the ball when he got taller. I’d probably try to steer you away from this until he’s in the 60 inch set range. At that point women’s clubs should need minimal trimming.

Driver is where we saw the biggest improvement. The tech difference is unreal and resulted in immediate gains. Wedges are second but if he can learn to spin junior wedges it’s ridiculous what he’ll be able to do down the road. There’s a visible difference around the greens and the lie angle is offset by the loft. I’d try to stay in a junior set in woods through irons for as long as you can.

If there were stiffer shaft options it’s the road I wish I could’ve taken. My son’s swing issues made getting him on the course harder and I think the effective lie angle played a very big role in that. Not only that but repeating the process to find shafts that would play well every time he had a growth spurt took so much time and energy. Having an all in one option was so nice.

USKG TS - great set of junior irons. Stronger shafts for decently strong juniors but still flexible enough to create feel. My son played these until his coaches said they were too soft. I think these clubs helped create a good foundation for his swing because they were designed for junior golfers within a height range.

Flynn Golf - they weren’t in the club making business when I was in the market but their VT Maxx shafts were great. They were able to make a shaft with the right flex for a similar height junior swinging about 70-74mph at order time. Most junior shafts were too flexible and most adult shafts were too firm. Really like them for a driver shaft in an adult (women’s) driver head. Shafts were good to over 200 yards, probably close to 220 before we switched to adult shafts. If the clubs are anything like the shafts they’ll be top notch.

Lightweight OEM adult heads - my son played women’s heads for a few years. They were a little lighter than the men’s heads. The problem was the rabbit hole of shaft EI profiles and having to guess at how butt trimming would affect the feel. It’s a ton of work to do as close to right as I could get. The change in effective lie angle led to some swing issues that really got bad later. Mainly due to correcting flight by swinging further right which caused overdrawing the ball when he got taller. I’d probably try to steer you away from this until he’s in the 60 inch set range. At that point women’s clubs should need minimal trimming.

Driver is where we saw the biggest improvement. The tech difference is unreal and resulted in immediate gains. Wedges are second but if he can learn to spin junior wedges it’s ridiculous what he’ll be able to do down the road. There’s a visible difference around the greens and the lie angle is offset by the loft. I’d try to stay in a junior set in woods through irons for as long as you can.

If there were stiffer shaft options it’s the road I wish I could’ve taken. My son’s swing issues made getting him on the course harder and I think the effective lie angle played a very big role in that. Not only that but repeating the process to find shafts that would play well every time he had a growth spurt took so much time and energy. Having an all in one option was so nice.
Appreciate the feedback and info. I've also thought possibly about women's petit line from reva or similar from Cleveland. Figure they put technology in them and they are forgiving.

Appreciate the feedback and info. I've also thought possibly about women's petit line from reva or similar from Cleveland. Figure they put technology in them and they are forgiving.
The biggest issue I saw was the change in lie angles. If you can hold off until there’s minimal trimming needed it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s nothing that can’t be fixed but just a heads up. You should be able to look at the USKG site to find the lengths to compare.

I started my son out in Adam’s Idea OS clubs. They were way more forgiving than his junior clubs. He’s still playing so the issues didn’t hurt him too bad. Good luck in whatever choice you make. It’s a ton of fun seeing my son’s love for the game grow and having him ask to spend time with me on the course.

The biggest issue I saw was the change in lie angles. If you can hold off until there’s minimal trimming needed it shouldn’t be too bad. It’s nothing that can’t be fixed but just a heads up. You should be able to look at the USKG site to find the lengths to compare.

I started my son out in Adam’s Idea OS clubs. They were way more forgiving than his junior clubs. He’s still playing so the issues didn’t hurt him too bad. Good luck in whatever choice you make. It’s a ton of fun seeing my son’s love for the game grow and having him ask to spend time with me on the course.
I have been looking at lengths on the flynn sight and they have a great sale on the vtmax stuff since alto is the new stuff so I've got those in the cart. They make custom ust shaft with adapters for heads so I'm going to try it and jack the loft up on it. Just need to find a cheaper lightweight head.

Went with epec. Can change weights and shafts when needed for growth. May still go with a custom Flynn shaft and driver head from an OEM but these seem really well built and even has face milling on the putter

Also thanks to @baylrballa for answering my questions on epec

PXL_20230616_141353415.jpgPXL_20230616_141357655.jpgPXL_20230616_141325924.jpgPXL_20230616_141320356.jpgPXL_20230616_141312259.jpgPXL_20230616_141308361.jpgPXL_20230616_141302906.jpgPXL_20230616_141254137.jpgPXL_20230616_141249232.jpgPXL_20230616_141247196.jpg

And now my son has outgrown the EPEC and back to the Flynn vs US Kids.

He is playing a Flynn 3w and a Flynn shaft in a c721 head

Might snag the ts3 line from US KIDS in their outlet section can get hybrid through 56* for like 200 bucks.

There can be great deals on new ladies clubs when they close them out at the end of the season.
I got a ladies Stealth driver for just $125, including tax and shipping!

There can be great deals on used ladies clubs as well. They don't show up often as women don't buy and sell clubs like men, but the clubs that do show up are usually in great condition. Except for the grips, which often need to be replaced.

My son is still in the US Kids irons but we use Flynn shafts for his driver and hybrid. The larger face of a lightweight adult head gives him more forgiveness. Hes 7 so he’s not hitting the center of the club but the Titleist TS2 driver head give him a larger, more forgiving face. He uses a cut down Scotty Cameron as his putter.

I have one kid in the US Kids Tour Series and one in the UL.

The TS are really nice, pretty much a “players distance” profile for a kid. If your kid doesn’t need the added forgiveness of the UL, I have nothing but good things to say about their TS series.

Back