AndyL0711

I Need To Play Some Golf!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
i am having knee replacement surgery next tuesday. i am nervous but very excited. i have not picked up a golf club in nearly 1.5 years, just can't swing through anymore, hoping this will help that. must importantly is being able to run around with my daughter, which i can not do right now.

just looking for some helpful tips on do's and don'ts from those that have had it or know someone who has. things you did that helped and things you wish you would have done or should not have done.

weird to think that i only have 5 more days of work then i am done for the year. lots of THP'ing coming up :love:

Have not had knee replacement surgery myself, but just stopping by to say good luck with the surgery and recovery! Happy you'll be able to spend more time with your daughter and hopefully be able to pick that club up again!

i am having knee replacement surgery next tuesday. i am nervous but very excited. i have not picked up a golf club in nearly 1.5 years, just can't swing through anymore, hoping this will help that. must importantly is being able to run around with my daughter, which i can not do right now.

just looking for some helpful tips on do's and don'ts from those that have had it or know someone who has. things you did that helped and things you wish you would have done or should not have done.

weird to think that i only have 5 more days of work then i am done for the year. lots of THP'ing coming up :love:
Good Luck. That is sooo long not to pick up a club!!

I had my right knee replaced 15 months ago. Walked in that morning and "walked" out that afternoon.

When the blocks were off, you're going to have pain. Don't wait for it, take your pain meds as prescribed. Getting behind pain and trying to play catch up with it is terrible and can affect your recovery big time. Take the stool softener and stay hydrated. That is massively important.

Do exactly what the PT says, every time. Do the home exercises but don't over do it.

Finally, remember that it's a year long process. You're going to have good days, bad days and going half mad days. If I can help or lend an ear, don't hesitate to reach out.

Good luck to ya. From all the people that I know that have had knee replacement, they said the key is FOLLOWING THE DOCTORS instructions when it comes to PT and after PT. If ya cop out and do less, your knee will not heal properly and the impacts can be life changing and could even require another surgery.

First, best wishes and prayers for a great outcome. I’ve had two replacements. Did them about ten years ago and about three months between each surgery.
day of surgery things will go fast. They will get you walking and moving as quickly as possible. Once you’re home they will start in home rehab. attack physical therapy like an athlete. I tell people if you don’t want to rehab then don’t do the rehab. Also, be very careful with the opioids. They are very powerful and give a false sense of wellness.
You’ll lose some weight and the first four or five days kind of stink but I hit the ball better than ever. Good luck

I have had some major knee surgeries in the past but not a replacement. Best of luck to you in your surgery and recovery. My only suggestion would be is to find a really good place for your rehab. I went to a really good sports injury rehabilitation center.

I had my right knee replaced 15 months ago. Walked in that morning and "walked" out that afternoon.

When the blocks were off, you're going to have pain. Don't wait for it, take your pain meds as prescribed. Getting behind pain and trying to play catch up with it is terrible and can affect your recovery big time. Take the stool softener and stay hydrated. That is massively important.

Do exactly what the PT says, every time. Do the home exercises but don't over do it.

Finally, remember that it's a year long process. You're going to have good days, bad days and going half mad days. If I can help or lend an ear, don't hesitate to reach out.
i am going to push to try and go home the same day. right now they want to keep me overnight. i HATE staying in the hospital. i know a few people who went in for common'ish things and never left. 2 got viruses in the hospital and never left

I had my left knee replaced in 2018? I think it was. Final of 5 knee surgeries.

Your leg will not work as it has for a while, so be careful of swinging doors, things that stick out etc it'll get hit; it'll just happen. Keep up on your pain meds, ice and elevate. I had a lot of tension in my lower leg so my wife did need to massage my calf / foot for the first 6 weeks rather frequently, it would get very knotted up just from protecting the surgery location more than anything else.

I gave some of my PT exercises from this past year to another thread that someone started in the past couple of days, those were from this past year not my post surgery ones - but just to work and strengthen it back up as I let it slack a bit.

Do - take your meds and be careful, keep it raised.
Don't - try to overdo it when it feels good there's a reason why you only have so much to do each day / session.

it's funny, i had to go to a "class" that they had on what is going to happen etc. the funny part was that i was the youngest person there by probably 20 years. they tell me they don't do many of these on people under 60 let alone under 50, i am 49.

boy you guys are going to have to deal with me posting like 3000000000 times a day here. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

hopefully while i'm all drugged up i don't tell anyone on here that i love them :love:

Good luck! After two shoulders, my dad finally had his knee done this year. The recovery was a b*tch and he said it was worse than both shoulders. The difference to me is night and day. He’s so much more mobile and pain-free now and I’m really glad he had it done.

I had my left knee replaced in 2011 and the left hip in 2012. My best advice - be faithful in your rehab! The only people I know who have problems after knee replacements are the ones who did not finish the rehab.
First, best wishes and prayers for a great outcome. I’ve had two replacements. Did them about ten years ago and about three months between each surgery.
day of surgery things will go fast. They will get you walking and moving as quickly as possible. Once you’re home they will start in home rehab. attack physical therapy like an athlete. I tell people if you don’t want to rehab then don’t do the rehab. Also, be very careful with the opioids. They are very powerful and give a false sense of wellness.
You’ll lose some weight and the first four or five days kind of stink but I hit the ball better than ever. Good luck
I had my left knee replaced in 2018? I think it was. Final of 5 knee surgeries.

Your leg will not work as it has for a while, so be careful of swinging doors, things that stick out etc it'll get hit; it'll just happen. Keep up on your pain meds, ice and elevate. I had a lot of tension in my lower leg so my wife did need to massage my calf / foot for the first 6 weeks rather frequently, it would get very knotted up just from protecting the surgery location more than anything else.

I gave some of my PT exercises from this past year to another thread that someone started in the past couple of days, those were from this past year not my post surgery ones - but just to work and strengthen it back up as I let it slack a bit.

Do - take your meds and be careful, keep it raised.
Don't - try to overdo it when it feels good there's a reason why you only have so much to do each day / session.
when did all of you go back to work? i am scheduled to go back in 4 weeks after

While I have not had done, I have two golfing friends that have had it done.
I remember one using CBD ointment to help with the pain afterwards until it went away.
I remember both of them commenting how their knee after the replacement always felt "Warm"
I was told by one of them that he was told it was the body rushing blood to the area to try to heal it.
Hope it goes well and it works out for you!

Hah, honestly I went back to work after 4 days. I got it done on a Thursday and went back in on the following Monday. I was not 100%, but I also get really bored really fast so my advice isn't always what I did.

Here's the deal though, I was working in a different place where I was the HRD and I had a big private office with a private bathroom and fridge and stuff so I never actually needed to leave unless I wanted to.

I offered to take off 6 weeks and just lounge around and enjoy my time but our COO was like "I'll do whatever you want" so I got some fun out of it.

I was also pretty good friends with the EVS supervisor so she told me she would get her staff to bring ice every couple of hours. They bought me a little stool to prop up my knee and I took time away to do PT (we had a PT facility in our building, so I just hobbled down there 2 birds with 1 stone since I was already at work).

Best of luck to you with the procedure and your recovery. I haven’t had it done but I am a candidate for at least one and possibly both in the future.

Hah, honestly I went back to work after 4 days. I got it done on a Thursday and went back in on the following Monday. I was not 100%, but I also get really bored really fast so my advice isn't always what I did.

Here's the deal though, I was working in a different place where I was the HRD and I had a big private office with a private bathroom and fridge and stuff so I never actually needed to leave unless I wanted to.

I offered to take off 6 weeks and just lounge around and enjoy my time but our COO was like "I'll do whatever you want" so I got some fun out of it.

I was also pretty good friends with the EVS supervisor so she told me she would get her staff to bring ice every couple of hours. They bought me a little stool to prop up my knee and I took time away to do PT (we had a PT facility in our building, so I just hobbled down there 2 birds with 1 stone since I was already at work).
4 days!!!!!!!!

My buddy had his done this summer. As he was changing jobs he had to move it up and it was the week before our annual friends' outing which he was hosting. Life sometimes...

He's doing pretty well. He had ACL surgery back in 1994, I think after a bad Ultimate Frisbee accident. At 48, fairly young for knee replacement.

It depends on what you do. I'm a lawyer and kill trees all day. I'm sedentary mainly. I went back to work when I was done with the opioids and the doc cleared me to drive. 10 days, maybe.

Good luck!

Lots of good advice here. I would add, don't be afraid to make a change in your care team if things aren't going as well as you would like.

I had one PT after a nasty car accident that made me feel great while I was there, and for about an hour after. Then I felt like crap until the next visit, no matter how faithful I was in the stretching and pain management. Found another PT, who got me right as rain in a few weeks. The first guy was good for the older, less active crowd but couldn't figure out how to treat an aging, ex high-level athlete. The second guy was amazing and understood how to push me and when to pull me back. I drive over an hour to see him when I need something worked out now.

Best of luck. Hope the surgery and the PT go well and you can get out on the course and run around with your daughter.

So, my very limited knowledge to share. My mother had this done 3 times - once both knees at the same time - mistake. Also mistake not doing the PT.
Finally, based on what I witnessed at PT (for my hip replacement) it's gonna hurt - a lot - BUT that will pass, so understand that it's part of the process - the hip (oddly) did not (and does not) hurt as one might think. So, take the meds - stay ahead of the pain - and get off the meds as soon as you are able. Do the PT, and you will likely fine way WAY better than before - and once that pain is gone and you are feeling good - you will think why the f**k did I wait so long to get this done.

Good luck - look forward to reading about your progress.

Best wishes for a successfull surgery.

So I suffered from a full tear of the patellar tendon about 5 years ago and I remember finally being able to walk with a cane after about 3 months and a guy was walking into PT at the same time as me and we looked like we were in about the same place on our journey. Come to find out, he had a knee replacement the week prior, I was so jealous.

Like others have said, do exactly what your Dr. and PT folks tell you to do, and try to wean yourself off the opiods as soon as you can. I got off after 4-5 days as I hated the way they made me feel and I was ok with a bit of pain. My Dad went through a knee replacement and they had him walking day 1, so you're going to be jumping right into it, good luck on your journey!

Do your therapy. Take your time. Yes this will be a b*tch to go through, but the results will definitely be better than how you are now. Good Luck.

Back