Kraft-Nabisco Championship [spoilers]

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
The first major for the LPGA is this week. The Kraft-Nabisco Championship Dinah Shore Golf Tournament begins this Thursday, April 2nd and I was setting my DVR when I realized that the first three rounds are being shown on ESPN2.

Crap.

I've made my feelings on ESPN's broadcasts of the LPGA well known, but for those of you who are new, here's a quick summary:

1. Only 2 hours of coverage. For a major. They couldn't even expand to 3 hours, which is the standard for any non-major PGA event.

2. ESPN's aspect ratio, graphics, and non-HD. ESPN likes to broadcast the LPGA in non-HD, 3:2 aspect ratio, and then eat up the screen with ridiculous graphics that often obscure the players and the ball.

For example:

ESPN2.jpg

(for comparison, here is how TGC's typical coverage looks:)

ESPN.jpg

Although my on-screen guide has crushed my hopes that the first LPGA major would be given additional coverage time this year, I still have hope that ESPN will remedy its past transgressions by broadcasting in full screen HD.

In any event, I'm looking forward to the tournament.

Here is the TV broadcast schedule:

Apr 02 : ESPN2 5:00-7:00 PM ET
Apr 03 : ESPN2 5:00-7:00 PM ET
Apr 04 : ESPN2 6:00-8:00 PM ET
Apr 05 : CBS 3:00-6:00 PM ET

This is typical. The LPGA always gets kicked under the bus. :arrogant:

I was hoping young Vicky Hurst would qualify for the Kraft Nabisco with a top 10 finish in Phoenix, but she missed the cut. I still predict she will contend at an LPGA event this season.
I noticed that there were only 2 Americans in the top 14 in Phoenix... T-9 and T-11. That does not help the TV ratings. The LPGA certainly needs more American players to step it up to create more interest in the game.

I dont know. THey just need more recognizable names. Suzanne is not American but has a huge following.

We'll be atttending this one. We're on our way tomorrow. I'll post here as time permits. Spouse will follow Lorena. I'll likely follow Grace Park, catch of a little of Patricia M-L, and Sophie G., then Angela Stanford. Anything/anyone you want me to follow?

We'll be atttending this one. We're on our way tomorrow. I'll post here as time permits. Spouse will follow Lorena. I'll likely follow Grace Park, catch of a little of Patricia M-L, and Sophie G., then Angela Stanford. Anything/anyone you want me to follow?

Yani Tseng continues to get my vote as the Next Big Thing. She can bomb her drives like you wouldn't believe--you'll WANT to follow her a bit.

I still think Wie is the "Next Big Thing". But I guess her being a bigger star than anyone in the LPGA right now, kind of disqualifies her from that discussion.

I will tell you one thing, the Asian community out there put in a lot, and I mean A LOT of time on the putting green. 3-4 hours. While I was out there last week, the Americans spent half that time, putting. This might be the reason there are so few Americans on the top for the leader board.

M2c

Yani Tseng continues to get my vote as the Next Big Thing. She can bomb her drives like you wouldn't believe--you'll WANT to follow her a bit.

Yes, I'll catch a bit of her play. Very even tempered player - both she and her caddie - nice folks.

I still think Wie is the "Next Big Thing". But I guess her being a bigger star than anyone in the LPGA right now, kind of disqualifies her from that discussion.

There are tremendous crowds that follow her, which I don't care to deal with. (Same with L.O. - but the crowds don't bother him.) I volunteer enough that I get to see MW up close. Her drives are awesome.

I got a chance to hang out with her for 36 holes last year and chat a bit. Very nice girl once you get to know her.

The first major for the LPGA is this week. The Kraft-Nabisco Championship Dinah Shore Golf Tournament begins this Thursday, April 2nd and I was setting my DVR when I realized that the first three rounds are being shown on ESPN2.

Here is the TV broadcast schedule:

Apr 02 : ESPN2 5:00-7:00 PM ET
Apr 03 : ESPN2 5:00-7:00 PM ET
Apr 04 : ESPN2 6:00-8:00 PM ET
Apr 05 : CBS 3:00-6:00 PM ET

I think that will mean that we'll have Judy Rankin assigned to the booth for this event. That's a good thing, IMHO. And I'm with you on the Dinah Shore reference. :clapp:

I went poking around on the LPGA site earlier today to look at the field, and it's not even on their moving storyboard. Meanwhile, Augusta's been all over the place for weeks.

Even I can market better than that.

I think that will mean that we'll have Judy Rankin assigned to the booth for this event. That's a good thing!:clapp:

Excellent point, it will be fantastic to have Judy Rankin on the broadcast! Welcome to the 2009 season Judy!

I went poking around on the LPGA site earlier today to look at the field, and it's not even on their moving storyboard. Meanwhile, Augusta's been all over the place for weeks.

Even I can market better than that.

The LPGA's playing a major this week? You wouldn't have known it.

I'm right there with the criticisms of ESPN's coverage. They know how to do golf better; I just don't see why they won't. Even The Golf Channel's fake HD works better.

Hi All - We are excited to be here - this place just doesn't dissappoint. Warm weather, beautiful snow capped mountains in the background, great food, friends, and golf! We found that very few folks were traveling, though - let's hope that crowds materialize during the event.

We arrived at Mission Hills just prior to noon. We dawdled at the practice area a bit to see some our favorites, then on to the courses to catch some play. The pro-ams are Tuesday and Wednesday on both courses - the Palmer (6,189 yds.) course and the Dinah Shore (Tournment) course which measures 6,600 yds. Usually, groups are made up of 4 ams and the pro, but not this year - just foursomes. We met up with friends and settled in to see groups tee off of Palmer #1 including Grace Park, Katie Futcher, Jennifer Rosales (and family), and Moira Dunn. We wondered through the clubhouse, grabbed lunch, then sat at the 18th green on the Dinah Shore to watch some groups coming in. Yikes! That green is fearsome! Later, we began walking backwards starting on the Palmer #18. We saw Brittany Lincicome, Cristie, In-Bee, Song-Hee, Paula, Julieta (and her mom), Birdie, then LO and her legions - just kidding - it was actually terrifically easy to walk with her group - but the legions will arrive later.

Picked up some nuggets of info while talking with friends.

- Who's your caddie? One might have thought that Terry McNamera (Annika's caddie) would retire - not so fast. I'm told he's now working for Momoka Ueda.

- We had a David Leadbetter sighting - actually it was hard to miss him - he was wearing an orange shirt, walking along to catch up with Suzann's group.

- Saw no media types yet, but I do have a SKORT REPORT. Only 1 skort in evidence - and I was surprised to see it on this player. Who? Hall of Famer. Californian. Ok it was Inkster. Black skort, white top.

Out for dinner now. We expect to spend all of Wednesday at Mission Hills. Should be more fans gathered. I'll try to post a bit each night. There's a buzz about Alexis, so I'll be on the lookout.

If you get a chance to talk to Angela Stanford, tell her that we're cheering for her here in Fort Worth!

Thanks Rice. We should have had you in a THP shirt. hehe

Sounds like a great time Rice. I would love to see some pictures, or hear about Alexis if you get the chance to follow her. A few comments from her would be nice as well if you could get them :D

Great report, thanks Rice. There are so many players I'd love to get the inside the ropes scoop on. Interesting news about Momoka's new caddy. I really like her, such a dynamo. Any impressions about Rosales from being in the mix there? For a few years she was such the big thing, but ever since her injury she's really faded from view.

- Saw no media types yet, but I do have a SKORT REPORT. Only 1 skort in evidence - and I was surprised to see it on this player. Who? Hall of Famer. Californian. Ok it was Inkster. Black skort, white top.

"Skort Report"!

Ricey, you.are.my.hero.

If you get a chance to talk to Angela Stanford, tell her that we're cheering for her here in Fort Worth!

I'll do my best, Gummi - she played today, and I missed her. If she's practicing tomorrow, I'll try to speak with her.

Any impressions about Rosales from being in the mix there? For a few years she was such the big thing, but ever since her injury she's really faded from view.

Agreed - I only saw her once today - teeing off on 1 on the Palmer course. Hooked the drive, I hate to say. On the plus side, she looked fit, seemed upbeat, and there were no ciggies in site. We'll see what the tournament brings.

Ok - Here's a brief Wednesday report -

We arrived at about 9am, lingered at the practice area a bit (btw equipment companies on display were Callaway, Taylormade and Fourteen - all with an array of woods to try, also Golf Pride grips) then we went our separate ways. I'm happy to say there were more fans present today, but moving around was still very easy. Spouse faithfully followed LO, while I spent time watching groups tee off on 1 and finish at 9. I was able to see Juli finish at 9, then get mobbed by fans - ugh. The next crowd scene that occured was when the Christie Kerr group came though with Ben Roethlisberger. He was a big crowd pleaser. He's a big guy, and a big ball hitter. He reminded me of John Elway in size and with the pigeon-toes. Ha! I then went to 1 and walked with Suzann's group for several holes. Her drives were so pure - long and strait. She looked great. Wanting to meet up with friends for lunch, I hurried along and walked 2 groups ahead to catch up with Minnie Blomqvist and - bonus - Alexis Thompson. She's tall - I had no idea. I only saw her make a few shots, so I can't really say much about her game. She did have family in tow. A young brother and Mom and Dad. There was chat about brother Curt and his recent success, and there was a buzz among the small gallery about Alexis prospects - future Michelle Wie is what I heard. If so, sh'e got an exciting future. I finished the day watching groups come through 18. Alfie, Creamer, Lang, - fun. All of the pros and the scant stars that were playing were applauded by the crowds at 18. Crowds in the stands had bulked up there too.

Before I forget - SKORT REPORT - is this fashion back for good? I spied 4 today - Grace Park, Candie Kung, Alexis, Minnie. Okay, they play for real tomorrrow. Hope to pipe in again.

Nike has assured us that there will be skorts this weekend.

Back