LASIK....Who's had it? Who wants? Experiences?

I had it when I was 40. Was the best thing I ever did ... until it wore off ~ 15 years later. Still great for that 15, though. If you're a candidate, I say 100% do it.

I’m too scared to do it :/

I want it, but have heard rosacea is a rule out, so haven't really looked into it.

Isn't the latest thing "lens replacement" instead of LASIK? That would be the same as what they do for cataracts, correct?

I want it, but have heard rosacea is a rule out, so haven't really looked into it.
The people I went to do prelim testing and if you're not a candidate for what they can offer they can see if you are a candidate for something else.

Reactions: Bus
I had lasik 15 years ago to correct nearsightedness(-1.5 diopters). My distance vision since is better than 20/20 but I started wearing reading glasses at about age 52. My recovery was complicated by the fact that I went on a ski trip a couple days after my surgery and dried out my corneas a bit. It took me a few days of being sensible after my ski trip for my eyes to recover fully.

Some of the best money I ever spent.

I’d really like to get mine done, sick of wearing glasses almost my whole life.
This is the first year (2024) that we have not had huge IVF / child birth / emergency surgery expenses - and I've been wearing glasses or contacts for what is 30+ years.

I just decided to schedule it and bite the bullet. Still happy I did, there is literally no downside yet for me.

Drops in the eyes are not a big deal, but one of my eyes still has a broken blood vessel and it looks odd, but doesn't impact my vision at all.

• Appreciation
This is the first year (2024) that we have not had huge IVF / child birth / emergency surgery expenses - and I've been wearing glasses or contacts for what is 30+ years.

I just decided to schedule it and bite the bullet. Still happy I did, there is literally no downside yet for me.

Drops in the eyes are not a big deal, but one of my eyes still has a broken blood vessel and it looks odd, but doesn't impact my vision at all.
If you don't mind my asking, about how much did it set you back?

If you don't mind my asking, about how much did it set you back?
$3722.

I'm already sensing I'm going to be going in for another 100 bucks of drops. I got 4 bottles from them, that I need to take 1-2 hours (I'm doing hourly due to computer work) and I've burned through half of them and I need to do it for 6 weeks.

Rounding the total price I'll be right about 4 grand total cost when all is said and done.

• Appreciation
$3722.

I'm already sensing I'm going to be going in for another 100 bucks of drops. I got 4 bottles from them, that I need to take 1-2 hours (I'm doing hourly due to computer work) and I've burned through half of them and I need to do it for 6 weeks.

Rounding the total price I'll be right about 4 grand total cost when all is said and done.
Totally worth it

Totally worth it
Yeah, even if I do glasses every other year I'll be at half that cost by the time I assume I'll need them again. Not to mention the cost savings of contact solution, wipes, cases etc the small stuff adds up over a decade or more.

So happy with it I'm already convincing my wife to do it, she wanted to see how I did with it before she tried, but in 2025 I'm already planning on it for her.

Yeah, even if I do glasses every other year I'll be at half that cost by the time I assume I'll need them again. Not to mention the cost savings of contact solution, wipes, cases etc the small stuff adds up over a decade or more.

So happy with it I'm already convincing my wife to do it, she wanted to see how I did with it before she tried, but in 2025 I'm already planning on it for her.
Even aside from all of that, just the convenience would be worth it to me.

For those that have had it done - did it impact your ability to follow the golf ball at all?

Played my first round at a course where I would need to pay attention and I found that while it didn't impact my game at all - I could not follow them in the air like I used to be able to? I know I still have a few months of healing to do before they finalize and I'm not at all concerned about performance just the snap up and following.

Going on 24 years since I had it done and it was the best money I've ever spent!

Back