Launch angle: Does it matter? When is too low or high?

jonathanliewys

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all. I know of THPers get fitted for your new gear and I would like to tap on your experiences as to this new area which I am exploring.

In 2018/2019, I was using rogue x irons paired with the project x catalyst shafts (50 5.0). It had a good launch 28-30 for the pw.

In 2019/2020, l swapped to the epic forged while keeping the project x catalyst shafts as I was more confident with my swing and found that I got a good dispersion and consistent distance. However, ever so often I get the comment that your balls don't launch or should launch higher etc.

I put it to test with the launch monitors and found the following. My swing would be more in to out now and I've gained about 10-12mph over the last year.

e5e314e3a6898f58b55e9c38e489f058.jpg

2a23bf9fe9fda4e5c9d5c5c34e373de4.jpg

7cf9915c2d69542ee32f604d7531b771.jpg

2a85cf3aa25bae0f201b4b79f63dca2d.jpg

Based on the data above and comaparing to trackman 2019 data, some have said it is alright.

506d59352cff4fcbddd8e7656c4dca91.jpg

f01d6e1fa1f9a0243ba4ac0b7b26bde2.jpg

At the moment, I am pondering the following

1. Could the nature of the head paired with the shaft be the reason why I'm seeing lower launches? It seems like the mavrik irons and hybrids are currently paired with the same shaft of mine, they launch higher.

2. Should I change shaft to something that is mid/high launch to get the increase in launch angle? Or is it actually acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no expert with ball flight and I’d be fine with the height if the spin was present. That very low for PW in my experience. I would think 30-35 meters would be closer to ideal. I hit it higher and would prefer a lower more piercing flight. If you want a higher flight maybe get fit and find a shaft that fits. If your playing well the way it is, play it.

Sounds like a game improvement style head versus more of a players set? Is that right?
The center of gravity is pushed back via the head design, along with some added offset to the design, to provide a higher launch, generally with game improvement clubs versus lesser offset styles.

Sounds like a game improvement style head versus more of a players set? Is that right?
The center of gravity is pushed back via the head design, along with some added offset to the design, to provide a higher launch, generally with game improvement clubs versus lesser offset styles.

So the rogue is classified as super game improvement iron. The epic forged is between game improvement and players distance I would say.

Speaking of cg, here is the dissection of both
5d2d1b761fc91fc19e26ba9c10846eae.jpg

10fc233a375f96a3f3fb369bd9cf1bb8.jpg

OK I think I recognize the forged Callys as something like Henrik Stenson used to play on tour?
The rogue looks like there is more weight back and away from the face. Further back will produce higher flight.
Offset is probably a little more with the rogue, and before all the multi-materials, they used to use offset to achieve a center of gravity that was further from the hosel, which gave them higher flight. Like my Ping i3's back in the day came in "blade" with less offset, and "O-size" or slightly larger with more offset.
I went with the latter for ease of use. I think I was like 20 years old at the time? :unsure: Always wanted a set of the blades though too when my game improved.

OK I think I recognize the forged Callys as something like Henrik Stenson used to play on tour?
The rogue looks like there is more weight back and away from the face. Further back will produce higher flight.
Offset is probably a little more with the rogue, and before all the multi-materials, they used to use offset to achieve a center of gravity that was further from the hosel, which gave them higher flight. Like my Ping i3's back in the day came in "blade" with less offset, and "O-size" or slightly larger with more offset.
I went with the latter for ease of use. I think I was like 20 years old at the time? :unsure: Always wanted a set of the blades though too when my game improved.

Yes. In the beginning of one's game, it is often easier to use larger size or game improvement irons. But over time I shifted to a more blade style irons due to comfort and getting more confident with hits. Seems like I need to find the right pairing with these irons

When I was fitted the focus was on adding height, but it was mainly the descent angle that the fitter was judging by. Obviously the higher the flight, the greater the descent angle and the better the stopping power next to the pin. I was told they try to achieve a minimum of 45 degrees. I was barely getting there, but hopefully the new combination of shaft and club head will solve that for me.
At 20m (60ish feet) with a pitching wedge I think they would consider that on the low side - they'd be looking to get you another 10m or so.

Yes. In the beginning of one's game, it is often easier to use larger size or game improvement irons. But over time I shifted to a more blade style irons due to comfort and getting more confident with hits. Seems like I need to find the right pairing with these irons

This may be true for some, yet I think it is not so much the beginning golfers as it is what works best for the golfer at whatever stage their game is at. If a seasoned golfer plays better with GI irons, then that would be the best way to go.

I have played with some very seasoned golfers that in my opinion would be better with GI irons or maybe something in between GI and the stronger blades. Not everyone has that dialed in accuracy that allows them constant almost perfect ball strikes on every shot.

This may be true for some, yet I think it is not so much the beginning golfers as it is what works best for the golfer at whatever stage their game is at. If a seasoned golfer plays better with GI irons, then that would be the best way to go.

I have played with some very seasoned golfers that in my opinion would be better with GI irons or maybe something in between GI and the stronger blades. Not everyone has that dialed in accuracy that allows them constant almost perfect ball strikes on every shot.

I agree with your later statement. I think once confidence and season comes in, gi and cb irons are the reference. You can see how much diem.imrove with them.

When I was fitted the focus was on adding height, but it was mainly the descent angle that the fitter was judging by. Obviously the higher the flight, the greater the descent angle and the better the stopping power next to the pin. I was told they try to achieve a minimum of 45 degrees. I was barely getting there, but hopefully the new combination of shaft and club head will solve that for me.
At 20m (60ish feet) with a pitching wedge I think they would consider that on the low side - they'd be looking to get you another 10m or so.

This seems to be a very subjective thing. Well the pw is like an 9 iron in reality due to stronger lofts. So I don't what I should target.

Questions are ...
  1. Do they still go the same distance or even more?
  2. Does it stop on the green? Or does it roll out?
If the answer is Yes to both of those, then I wouldn't worry about launch angle. ;)

I'm no Professional, so get the numbers looked at by a PGA Professional, not the guys at Dicks. :eek:

Question for the OP.
Do you struggle being steep with all clubs and/or over the top? -11+ degrees AOA is pretty steep and it leads to it being much less of a club or shaft thing.

I feel like it matters to optimize distance. If you trajectory is low but there is spin the ball will stop on the greens. Low launch angle with not enough spin will impact distance and the ability for the ball to stop when it hits.

Question for the OP.
Do you struggle being steep with all clubs and/or over the top? -11+ degrees AOA is pretty steep and it leads to it being much less of a club or shaft thing.

Frankly the aoa I believe is a bit skewed. I suspect my real aoa is about minus 3-4 degrees.

No, most of the time I hit the clubs flush with a nice straight or draw.

Questions are ...
  1. Do they still go the same distance or even more?
  2. Does it stop on the green? Or does it roll out?
If the answer is Yes to both of those, then I wouldn't worry about launch angle. ;)

I'm no Professional, so get the numbers looked at by a PGA Professional, not the guys at Dicks. :eek:

1. They go further.

2. It rolls 3-5 yards. Not pin stop.

Frankly the aoa I believe is a bit skewed. I suspect my real aoa is about minus 3-4 degrees.

You can still flush a ball with negative AOA :D

If the AOA is skewed, I would recommend checking numbers again, because a lot of the other items may be a bit off. Seeing some quite low peak heights, would suggest a bit steep at times, but overall just generalizing.

1. They go further.

2. It rolls 3-5 yards. Not pin stop.

Then it might be the ball if it doesn't stop

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Something about my swing must be weird, and I haven't spent enough time in a computerized booth to understand why.

I've tried drivers with lofts from 8* up to 12*. I've never been able to see a difference in my trajectories, but lower lofts around 9* with heavier movable weights forward produce drives about 10 yards longer on average. I've just left things alone since I discovered that.

Contrary to all the information proving people who play at my level should use a higher loft, it just doesn't seem to work for me.

Then it might be the ball if it doesn't stop

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

To be fair it was range balls.

You can still flush a ball with negative AOA :D

If the AOA is skewed, I would recommend checking numbers again, because a lot of the other items may be a bit off. Seeing some quite low peak heights, would suggest a bit steep at times, but overall just generalizing.

Hmmm. I agree some of it seems low. I might have to try again.

I’ve a question. What are your 6i values ?

If that's the case, don't worrying about the irons and practice other parts of the bag. If you want to score lower.

5200 is not much spin for a pitching wedge. That would be my biggest concern, particularly given that you have good speed. Is this data with your gamer ball?

Dave

I’ve a question. What are your 6i values ?

You’d have to ask it. I’d like to think it’s a good Christian 6i but sometimes it has a little devil in it......

Back