Limited Edition Phil Mickelson Odyssey

Can someone remind me if Phil is actually using an insert putter of this shape now. I thought his putter has this shape but is not an insert or at least wasn’t an insert at the beginning.

I can’t deal with the shape and the transition from shaft to head. Funny though I always thought it looked really odd even in Phil’s hand’s until he got into address and there at least with him it looks much more natural. That is not to see that it is a good looking putter at that point but it at least seems to fit his address position and putting style and looks like a natural extension of his arms at that pont.

Like I said though I don’t remember his putter being an insert. I guess insert or no I don’t think it would change whether or not I would own one or want one.

Yes, Phil uses an insert. In fact in one of our THP Radio shows, Sean talks about Phil testing inserts and how he changes and works with the polymers.

the shape leaves a lot to be desired. but it's such a personal choice.

I think the picture or angle must be making this putter look a bit odd. I checked several 8802's out and they look ok. This picture makes the shaft angle look very laid back or flat.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

That was not the same Putter Phil used at Augusta. His didn't have an insert on it. Plus that line on the top and back could be a problem. I drew a line on my old 8802 way back when and the the two levels create a weird break in the line. I've held this Limited edition putter and the same thing occurs if your eyes arn't in the correct place.

Either way that's way too much money, pretty very pretty putter though.

That was not the same Putter Phil used at Augusta. His didn't have an insert on it. Plus that line on the top and back could be a problem. I drew a line on my old 8802 way back when and the the two levels create a weird break in the line. I've held this Limited edition putter and the same thing occurs if your eyes arn't in the correct place.

Either way that's way too much money, pretty very pretty putter though.

Switched to the White Hot/White Ice shortly thereafter. He dabbles in both sides, but most of this year (going strictly off of Darrell Survey) he has used an insert.

I'd never pay $349 for an Odyssey.

actually, I think it is the same putter. zimbio has great day three images of it.

i'm pretty sure it's the same putter too. again, i find that most people either like the 8802 style or they don't. if you don't like it, then you probably wouldn't pony up the money to buy this one. i love it, unfortunately i don't have the money to buy it anyway.

Here are some pictures

Putt-Like-Phil-1-04-10.jpg

pgax.jpg

april15_mickelson_299x398.jpg

It's an Odyssey.... :D

I'd have to pass on this one. Just doesn't look that great.

Switched to the White Hot/White Ice shortly thereafter. He dabbles in both sides, but most of this year (going strictly off of Darrell Survey) he has used an insert.

actually, I think it is the same putter. zimbio has great day three images of it.

i'm pretty sure it's the same putter too. again, i find that most people either like the 8802 style or they don't. if you don't like it, then you probably wouldn't pony up the money to buy this one. i love it, unfortunately i don't have the money to buy it anyway.

I stand corrected..... my apologies.

However I would not spend $349 on a 8802 clone even if it is an Odyssey and Designed by Phil. At that kind of money I'ld problably get a scotty cameron. Not a fan or anything just isn't that what you're supposed to buy if you got $300 to $infinity to spend?

He says it just looks like its unfinished. Theres something left out. And he said the bottom just looks wrong.

Hmmm. Obviously opinions and everybody has one. I could see if someone did not like the shape (meaning 8802). Then of course they would not like this one. But I guess I just dont see the unfinished thing and the bottom looks pretty normal to me. Oh well.

Saw one of these at a shop the other day. Really set up for a gated stroke putter and that is my stroke. Really did putt nicely. I will give it that. I did not even take the time to see if it was a 3:00, a 4:30 or a 6:00 putter. I do think that a SBST guy would have a real hard time with this. I am not even sure you could get into a SBST address position with this putter. Definitely did not see anything about it that made it worth $349.00.

Its a nice looking putter, but at that price its out of what Id be willing to spend. Then again I enjoy my cheap Cleveland Classic #2.

I like Phil and all, but I would not use this putter. I hate the shape of it. I guess I like a little more meat on my putter. $349 is pretty steep for a putter too.

not a fan of the hockey stick look. also a bit surprised it is a Phil putter as his short game strength is not about putting, especially the short ones. He ranks around 30th in PPR (we know that is a flawed stat due to GIR) but his stroke average for both GIR and PPR are around the tour average I believe.

I have to admit Id love to add one to my collection but not at that price. And looking at it, makes me wonder if Phil would putt better if he used something else. It has to be one of the most unforgiving putters there is.

Dude.....$350????

I mean I'd love to play with it, but seriously $350?!?!?!? That's brand spanking new driver territory there!

So what does the price need to be before people would snag one of these? They are limited. Id say $250 and Id probably get one.

So what does the price need to be before people would snag one of these? They are limited. Id say $250 and Id probably get one.

Between the looks and 3000 of them out there I don't think I'd spend anything on it.

Back