LIV is happening, What does the PGA Tour do now?

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If a similar thread has already started, sorry, please merge, I haven't seen one.

Liv has begun, several players have already gone and it seems more will follow. We know who has gone so far, and more likely will, if you are running the tour, what do you do?

For me,

Step 1: I don't know that the bans will do much, but you threatened them, so I think you have to follow through.

Step 2: Talk to the OWGR and the majors and hope you can sway the majors to disregard the points from the LIV events

Step 3: Overhaul the tournament schedule. To me I would push to make it more of an 8 month tour and avoid the NFL at at all costs. Start Late January, finish the season by late august, early September.

Step 4: Create a fall series, likely in conjunction with the DP World tour that would let players earn their status onto the Tour. Move it around to various locations, play it during the week with golf in exotic locations in Prime time (Hawaii I am looking at you for a lot of this). More of what I would do with this series in step 5.

Step 5: LEAN INTO TV/STREAMING. Make your stars STARS. Several of the top players are very interesting guys and could generate a lot of mainstream endorsements if given a bigger platform. Look what drive to survive has done for F1, and tell me the PGA tour doesn't have more interesting figures/drama? Have a series on the fall with up and comers, guys trying to regain/keep status.. .that to me is as dramatic as it comes. Generate revenue and gives these guys more opportunities to get on screen (IE get more in sponsorship money). Don't be afraid of how far these guys hit, show how much work all of these guys put in to do it, dive into the gear, get OEMs on board to sponsor this stuff and showcase the tech involved.

Step 6: Find out who did the Masters app and pay them a ton of money to rehaul/reinvent the PGA tour app.

I am sure there are a lot more, but this is what I thought about on my commute in this morning.

If I ran PGAT, I would do the following

1. Stop the pension funding and cash out to everyone. These guys are more than capable of getting a financial advisor and investing their winnings for post retirement
2. Drop the wrap around schedule. Those sponsors would be tied into the Korn Ferry tour
3. Not ban or sanction any of the players. I would fine them for "conduct detrimental" (not sure that would fly) or something similar as a show of force since you opened that can or worms
4. Work with LIV golf, so their field expands, their money gets added to PGA purses, and allow the players to play where ever they want.
5. Get whomever created the Masters App to revamp the PGAT app and monetize that.

At the end of the day, it's clear there is an appetite for an alternative to the PGAT & I think you can have that without gutting the tour or taking away from it's legacy.

I said this in another thread, but its my honest take:

1. Change the bylaws to include a mandatory three year waiting period of reapplication after resignation.
2. Talk to each and every sponsor and approach them with long term and fairly priced contracts in exchange for exclusivity.
3. Use back channels, media outlets, and the public to sow seeds of doubt and foster the narrative that the LIV tour is morally questionable, and thus so are those who support it.
4. Secure long term exclusive streaming rights with a company like Apple or Amazon.

Have Mic Foley win the heavyweight world championship on Monday night.

(that's a wrestling reference related to the WCW/WWE competition in the late 90s early 2000s)

I said this in another thread, but its my honest take:

1. Change the bylaws to include a mandatory three year waiting period of reapplication after resignation.
2. Talk to each and every sponsor and approach them with long term and fairly priced contracts in exchange for exclusivity.
3. Use back channels, media outlets, and the public to sow seeds of doubt and foster the narrative that the LIV tour is morally questionable, and thus so are those who support it.
4. Secure long term exclusive streaming rights with a company like Apple or Amazon.

I like 1, 2 and 4, I would be very hesitant to throw stones while living in a glass house. I would focus on how long the PGA tour has been around, and how they will continue on for decades to come, how long will a sovereign nation continue to payout this amount of money?

I like 1, 2 and 4, I would be very hesitant to throw stones while living in a glass house. I would focus on how long the PGA tour has been around, and how they will continue on for decades to come, how long will a sovereign nation continue to payout this amount of money?
Any sovereign nation? Depends. This one? For as long as it wants to have shiny things, which seems like an indefinite period of time.

I think the Tour is going to have to compromise and realize that they are going to be loing a certain degree of power and control over professional golf and its players. Also, I am in agreement with those who think the season should be shortened. In addition I believe the Tour needs to build the narrative that the PGA Tour is and will remain the best Tour for professional golf. And build upon what Rory said : "I want to play on the PGA Tour against the best players in the world. "

Last edited:
Have Mic Foley win the heavyweight world championship on Monday night.

(that's a wrestling reference related to the WCW/WWE competition in the late 90s early 2000s)
I was sitting in an airport one night, and I see Mick Foley walking past at a bit of a distance, and out of somewhere comes a loud "Mankind!!" He smiled and waved as he kept walking.

I think the pga tour, at some point, is going to have to reevaluate their stance against the Saudi product. They're going to have to loosen up their restrictions. Especially if more top tier players leave.

I may be wrong, hut it could be possible that some, if not all of their media contracts call for them to produce star quality platers. I think I remember reading something like that back when they required their players to play a minimum number of tournaments during the year.

I might also wonder how the pga tour's stance effects the FedEx play. Are they not partners? Does the FedEx lose something if several star players are not involved?

I have no idea what the PGA Tour can do, at this point. The vague answer is that in order to survive, they need to provide the best product for fans. In the past, that has simply meant having the best players but as players leave for more money than the Tour can ever offer, they obviously need to come up with different ideas.

I think the pga tour, at some point, is going to have to reevaluate their stance against the Saudi product. They're going to have to loosen up their restrictions. Especially if more top tier players leave.

I may be wrong, hut it could be possible that some, if not all of their media contracts call for them to produce star quality platers. I think I remember reading something like that back when they required their players to play a minimum number of tournaments during the year.

I might also wonder how the pga tour's stance effects the FedEx play. Are they not partners? Does the FedEx lose something if several star players are not involved?

I believe there is something with quality of fields and involves world ranking for the television contracts. But I don't really know specifics.

In regards to OWGR, I can't imagine that LIV is left out of the equation. You can't say so&so is #1 with an asterisk.

In regards to OWGR, I can't imagine that LIV is left out of the equation. You can't say so&so is #1 with an asterisk.
It wouldn't be tough because LIV is team format. OWGR could easily say they can't give points to ONLY team events like this.

Strength of fields has a lot to do with it, but I also don't know how they take into account the different format(s) and the fact that it is only 54 holes vs 72.

Strength of fields has a lot to do with it, but I also don't know how they take into account the different format(s) and the fact that it is only 54 holes vs 72.
I guess all I mean is that if amateurs are considered, you can't ignore professional events. JAT.

Are there any no-cut events that receive OGWR points?

It wouldn't be tough because LIV is team format. OWGR could easily say they can't give points to ONLY team events like this.

LIV is not just a team competition. There is an individual competition going simultaneously. That is what makes the format more interesting.

Last edited:
I think the PGA Tour should just wait and see how successful the new LIV Tour is. If it turns out to be successful, then go about trying to make some changes. If the LIV Tour falls on it's face, just go about business as usual.

I think the PGA Tour should just wait and see how successful the new LIV Tour is. If it turns out to be successful, then go about trying to make some changes. If the LIV Tour falls on it's face, just go about business as usual.

That is something, but I think LIV is bringing to light issues the tour has glossed over for a long time, I am hoping it uses this as the impetus to improve the tour... but I am skeptical they do much of anything.

That is something, but I think LIV is bringing to light issues the tour has glossed over for a long time, I am hoping it uses this as the impetus to improve the tour... but I am skeptical they do much of anything.
I also hope the tour makes improvements but one issue is the tour can't just burn money and throw 9 figure bonuses to players so I don't see how they navigate that particular issue

The tour has got to make improvements to support a player playing where they want and not obligated

Well with $400 + billion in investment monies by the Saudis, it might never fail, all to make a point and promote golf in their region.

OWGR could easily decide to not give them points. I can easily believe that the PGA and R&A have a lot of heavy sway on what is recognized. Virtually every tour that earns points is affiliated with the PGA Tour. They don't see where they have to honor them as a valid tour any more than a Tuesday night golf league.

If I ran the PGA Tour, I’d do nothing for the time being. I don’t believe that the LIV will continue to provide huge payouts over the long haul. Once they prove to be a viable tour for more than a year or two, then make the necessary changes

Back