Looking for a good cheap colored distance ball

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm heading on vacation next week looking for a good cheap distance ball to help me out since I'm a bit rusty.

I'm intrigued by the Maxfli Straightfli but I've never hit it. The flight correction is something I'm interested in. The Softfli is probably a good backup option and I've heard good things about the TM Distance+

Thoughts or experience with these balls? I was playing the Srixon Q Star Divide and Vice Pro Soft before my hiatus but I've found Urethane balls spin too much for my liking. For reference, I was getting upper 9K on my 425 Power Spec loft PW according to the practice bay at PGASS and well over 3K off the driver. I definitely want lower spin and trying to not spray the balls everywhere with side spin. The monitor was giving me well over 1k RPM and 20 yards difference off of my driver between a Chrome Soft and Softfli I was practicing with. Distance seems to be a bigger problem for me than spin right now.

have you got the TaylorMade distance + those were stupid long, but don't expect much around the green

have you got the TaylorMade distance + those were stupid long, but don't expect much around the green
Those are highy recommended by a friend in NC who plays way more than I do. He hits farther than me and is really happy with them. They are 2 for 35 right now and I have 30 in rewards bucks to use.

I'll second the Supersport and add Wilson Duo optix. Very bright, matte colors

Duo Optic user here - great for those of us sub 100mph with the driver.. Very soft around the greens as well and my latest box was just over $1 each.

A

How about Srixon Soft Feel? Good, cheaper, great yellow and distance. The bonus is better feel than a straightfli, in my opinion.

Add decent availability DSG, GG, Academy.

Another vote for super soft.

Those are highy recommended by a friend in NC who plays way more than I do. He hits farther than me and is really happy with them. They are 2 for 35 right now and I have 30 in rewards bucks to use.
bright and super long

Screenshot_20230328-072828.png

Wilson Duo

Callaway Super Soft!

I have played the Cally SS, Duo, and Softfli, Pinnacle Rush, and like you, found the the TM Tour Response(urethane) spins too much for me off the tee. All are good in there own right, with the Rush being the long ball in the bunch, and no manners at all around the green. All the others were decent around the green, but hard to stop roll out. Currently playing the TopFlite Hammer Control Yellow, about a 70ish compression, dimple in dimple cover, good distance, and will check really good when struck well on a pitch, or chip. My CBX2 wedges seem to work with this ball on greenside chips, with hard checks, and some roll out. Left myself a lot of putts in the 6-10 foot range a lot last year, with some even closer. I am a high capper, lose a few still, but have found this ball to work fairly well for my game, and don't seem to lose as many, as compared to when I play a more expensive 3-piece ball, where I can lose a dozen in 4-5 rounds. 15 balls in a box, only at Dicks, with 2fer specials that can be had. Started playing this ball last year, and it will be my gamer for this season. If you remember the TF D2 Feel, the Hammer Control is the reincarnation. Has a pretty sturdy cover, and will take a cart path strike with no problem. This ball has good feel off the driver, and putting is smooth. I have a golf partner that plays the TM Distance +, and he likes it. It is a 77 compression, so distance is not a problem. When we tee off, we are usually within 10-15 yards of each other on the fairway, and we seem to switch back and forth as to who is longer off the tee. My swing speed is 80 mph, and his is about 90 mph. A good strike on either ball will get you out on the fairway. Good luck in your search...

Last edited:
How about Srixon Soft Feel? Good, cheaper, great yellow and distance. The bonus is better feel than a straightfli, in my opinion.

Add decent availability DSG, GG, Academy.
This^^^
My "go to" in the budget friendly ball category.

in the non summer months when the leaves are out or balls plug etc, I switch from urethane to either a Callaway Supersoft or Srixon Soft Feel. Both perform well, nice high flight and lower spin.
If you are a really high swing speed guy though these are lower compression and you may lose a little distance over a higher compression ball.

Another option is the Srixon Trispeed Tour. its an older ball, 3pc surlyn but Budget Golf still stocks them. They are $29.99 or 2 for $50 or 3 for $60. I stocked up over the winter and bought the 3/$60 deal in yellow. At $20 per box it's a solid value.

I'm heading on vacation next week looking for a good cheap distance ball to help me out since I'm a bit rusty.

I'm intrigued by the Maxfli Straightfli but I've never hit it. The flight correction is something I'm interested in. The Softfli is probably a good backup option and I've heard good things about the TM Distance+

Thoughts or experience with these balls? I was playing the Srixon Q Star Divide and Vice Pro Soft before my hiatus but I've found Urethane balls spin too much for my liking. For reference, I was getting upper 9K on my 425 Power Spec loft PW according to the practice bay at PGASS and well over 3K off the driver. I definitely want lower spin and trying to not spray the balls everywhere with side spin. The monitor was giving me well over 1k RPM and 20 yards difference off of my driver between a Chrome Soft and Softfli I was practicing with. Distance seems to be a bigger problem for me than spin right now.
I played the Divides all last year But I am also a big fan of the Maxfli Straight fli early in the year. They are a great value ball when they are on sale.
Still Love the Q Star Tour and a great value when they are buy 2 get 1 free around fathers day.

I have played the Maxfli Straightfli in bright orange as a winter ball many times. It is straight off the tee and is better around the greens for me than I expected. I have tried the Srixon Soft Feel and Bridgestone e6 and thought both were good, but I prefer the Straightfli. I usually have a few in my bag and have found myself pulling them out of my bag on non winter rounds when I'm struggling off the tee. It's definitely straight.

Another Srixon Soft Feel vote. You described it perfectly... “distance and cheap.” If it were a little better at short game spin it would likely be my gamer.

Can't go wrong with the MAXFLI SOFT ball. I like the white gloss color.

Good Golfing

If "cheap" is of primary importance, look for those Nitro Balls. They come in 5 different colors.

Walmart was selling them for like $0.65 a ball in a box of 12 at one time. Not sure what they are selling for now.

I use to buy them to practice with. I wanted new golf balls.

I even played a couple of rounds with them. They played well enough.

Another possibility might be the "Cut Red" balls. I purchased some of these for $22 for a box of 2 dozen. Again, at Walmart. These balls played quite well for me.

IMO, Supersoft is the king of budget balls. Straight, great feel, and still decent enough short game performance.

If "cheap" is of primary importance, look for those Nitro Balls. They come in 5 different colors.

Walmart was selling them for like $0.65 a ball in a box of 12 at one time. Not sure what they are selling for now.
I won a couple dozen Nitros as a raffle prize from a charity scramble. Hit one of them on the course, put it back in the box, and gave them all to a friend who was new to golf and still losing a lot of balls. One of the most horrible feeling balls I've ever hit, even worse than the old Top Flite "rocks" from the '80s.

If you were in the military or first responder, TM offers a 15% discount...same goes for Callaway

IMO, Supersoft is the king of budget balls. Straight, great feel, and still decent enough short game performance.

I won a couple dozen Nitros as a raffle prize from a charity scramble. Hit one of them on the course, put it back in the box, and gave them all to a friend who was new to golf and still losing a lot of balls. One of the most horrible feeling balls I've ever hit, even worse than the old Top Flite "rocks" from the '80s.
I've heard this about Nitro Balls before. I wanted news ball to practice with. I was playing Bridgestone e7s at the time.

I found them to be playable from the tee, and fairways. Even gave me few extra yards than my regular game balls.

My problem with them was putting. On missed putts the ball would go an extra couple of feet past the hole than I was use to.

I too remember those old "Rock Flites".

Bridgestone lady yellows

Haven't seen any mentions for Titleist TruFeels. Those are my favorite ball in this category. Compared with the usually suggested balls in this category (SuperSoft, SoftFeel, e6, SoftFli, etc), TruFeels have a less "mushy" feel than the rest. Think of them as a "poor man's AVX." The compression, feel, and launch characteristics are pretty similar to the AVX. Obviously the AVX's urethane cover gives it a big advantage over the TruFeel around the green, but the TruFeel is an awesome ball for the price. Comes in a gloss yellow and a very bright matte red.

Back