Luggage - Soft sided or Hard Sided?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm not talking golf travel bag I'm talking regular luggage. There are lots of hard sided and soft sided which is better or do you prefer?

I'm not talking golf travel bag I'm talking regular luggage. There are lots of hard sided and soft sided which is better or do you prefer?
I prefer the hard sided.
We bought a set of bright orange that nests into one another when not in use. It cleans up nicely too.
The soft sided is better for overstuffing, but even relatively new it looked beat up and frayed after a few trips through the baggage handlers. They are brutal.

Hard sided with 4 wheels.
I agree with this.
I've had too much damaged with soft-sided.

Plus my wife says hard-sided cases are better :LOL:

Hard sided w/ 4 wheels.

Never had hard-sided. We’ve had the same soft-sided luggage for 7 years and it’s still going strong after trips to Ireland, the Philippines, Hawaii, Mexico, and probably a dozen domestic trips. As others have suggested, gotta have 4 wheels!

I have essentially soft sided with structure. I have a Travel Pro with two wheels and it has traveled with me for more than a hundred trips.

Soft sided - I’ve got no issues if it gets squished a bit and to be fair - I’m mostly carrying onboard and rarely check it anyway

Soft sided with structure. I have a hard case as well but hate the fact it has no external pockets.

4 wheels is also a must these days

Soft sided with structure. I have a hard case as well but hate the fact it has no external pockets.

4 wheels is also a must these days
What do you even put in external pockets?

We have soft side with structure.

Debating picking up something new with the swivel wheels on them, under the assumption they make them easier to move around.

Soft. One can always squeeze a little extra in there. I got this before a 15 day trip to Europe. (Not sure if I have the 30 or 36 inch model, I have the largest permitted on domestic flights)

Currently soft but going hard next time

For checked bags we have hard side, for carry-on we have both soft and hard side (don't mind soft side here as we are the only ones who handle the bag).

Hard sided with 4 wheels is the way to go

Solo travel I use soft, family we use hard

What do you even put in external pockets?

great place for slippers, flip flops and extra laundry bags. Also if you pack up and realize you missed something you can quickly throw it in without opening the entire bag

I pack light and use a soft carry on size exclusively. It's a small-ish duffel bag made from recycled sail cloth (Dacron) from a company called Re-Sails and it works great for me. I can fit plenty of clothing, shaving accessories and whatnot in there to last at least a week.

Checked hard sided with wheels. Carry on is the dealers choice. It all depends on when I’m going.

My carry on is soft sided. It's great and easy to use. I have no reason to change.

Back