Macgregor Persimmon Woods

mcash7709

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum, and new(ish) to the world of vintage golf clubs.

I’m on here seeking advice/info about these old clubs.

I found a set of very nice Macgregor Tourney custom persimmons. They have the 4 screw sole “H looking” plate and 6 screw face insert. All they say is Macgregor in the center with custom above and tourney below with the club number in bold block to the right. No mention of model number or “oil hardened”. Tourney stiff steel shafts.

Could someone date these clubs or give me some more information on them? I’m interested in them but would like to know more about them before purchasing.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd guess 1950's based on your description and not actually seeing them.

bbf82ef3a948f826ee0bcf0564609f87.jpg

9d22b5b77289e6d128610dd0836545ba.jpg

645e711fcecd89cbcdee7ec32fdb3466.jpg

Here are some pics

OK, now seeing them i change my opinion. They look much more modern than 50's; probably 80's.

OK, now seeing them i change my opinion. They look much more modern than 50's; probably 80's.

From what I’ve been able to dig up in comparison to other Macgregors, I’m assuming they might be late 70’s to mid/late 80’s. I’m basing this mostly off of the face grooves.

The simple-ness of the face insert and the font of the imprint on the bottom say 80's to me.

That sole plate would have 5 screws in it if it was from the 50s or 60s. Definitely an 80s model.

macgregor-tommy-armour-super-eye_1_4c8db57bb3ee0e42dec09e270935987f.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. We’re MacGregors still good woods in the 1980’s or are there other brands in that decade that “outperformed” them?

They were still top notch woods but the really nice cuts of persimmon were harder to find. 80s woods tended to have plainer grain than the 50s woods. Cleveland, Hogan, Bert Dargie, Woods Brothers and Tony Penna were other manufacturers that made top of the line persimmon woods in the 80s but none of the would be any better than the MacGregors.

Last edited:
They were still top notch woods but the really nice cuts of persimmon were harder to find. 80s woods tended to have plainer grain than the 50s woods. Cleveland, Hogan, Bert Dargie, Woods Brothers and Tony Penna were other manufacturers that made top of the line persimmon woods in the 80s but none of the would be any better than the MacGregors.

Thanks the input. I was aware that the “gold standards” for persimmons were the ones made during the 50’s and 60’s because of the old growth wood used and maybe slight quality differences etc. That makes me feel better that I wouldn’t be buying “junk” or less than desirable clubs.

Ah, brings back memories!

Following up on this thread. I did in fact get these woods. They were beautiful in new condition, and an absolute treat to game. I felt bad hitting them to be honest lol.

Every golfer should play a persimmon driver at least once in their life.

Every golfer should play a persimmon driver at least once in their life.

When you smack a perfect tee shot with the driver there is nothing like it in golf in my opinion. Might rival a pure strike off some buttery forged irons.

The driver I hit in the 70s & 80s, an early 40s MacGregor Tommy Armour. I'd be scared to hit it today but man what a hard piece of persimmon. You can tell by the face I've taken some loft off of it. You used to do it with a file.

20220518_113117.jpg20220518_113133.jpg20220518_113125.jpg

When I first strated golfing and got my first set of clubs, they were wooden heads. I think they were maple, hagen internationals. I,2,4 woods, irons 3 thru pw. Had to buy your own SW.

Hi guys. Like you I really loved my old persimmon woods. My favorite set for playing, in the early 80s, were my cherished, beautiful Nicklaus Muirfield Macgregors 1-3-5. But hey, I found this in my garage full of old clubs. I can't seem to place this club (iron shaft) with this unique face. It says "First Lady" and 4200 above the metal plate. thoughts? thanks, Doug

Attachments

• IMG_5395.JPG
    IMG_5395.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5396.JPG
    IMG_5396.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5397.JPG
    IMG_5397.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 9
First Lady indicates that they were Ladies Model clubs. Can’t find anything on that face scoring pattern yet.

The scoring pattern says late 30s but the MacGregor trademark on the bottom says 40s. I believe MacGregor started using that trademark around WW2. Notice my old Armour driver above which I believe was made in 1941. It still has the block letter trademark. I'll go with mid 40s.

Some cool looking old clubs. I used to play a golf course that had mounted above the double doors of the clubhouse a glass fronted, walnut presentation case, containing a new set of MacGregor clubs. It bore a brass placquard that read "Presented to Jack Nicklaus on the occasion of his third Masters victory." I asked the guy behind the counter how they came to have it, and he said that he didn't know, it belonged to the owner of the course.

OMG, were those clubs gorgeous! They gleamed like jewels!

B8F9E36C-6685-4629-B681-8102BE7DE833.jpeg
Here’s my collection. I take them to a par 64 course a couple of times a year with some ‘69 W/S Bullet Backs.

Ooooohhhhh those Hogans!!!

Hi, new to the forum, and new(ish) to the world of vintage golf clubs.

I’m on here seeking advice/info about these old clubs.

I found a set of very nice Macgregor Tourney custom persimmons. They have the 4 screw sole “H looking” plate and 6 screw face insert. All they say is Macgregor in the center with custom above and tourney below with the club number in bold block to the right. No mention of model number or “oil hardened”. Tourney stiff steel shafts.

Could someone date these clubs or give me some more information on them? I’m interested in them but would like to know more about them before purchasing.

Thank you.

Not sure if u ever bought these. Hopefully not unless they were very cheap. Here are some cool facts to know moving forward looking at persimmons woods.

-Anything after 1960 is new growth and is not honestly comparable to original growth wood. The persimmons planted in the 1920s wont produce equivalent woods to the 1950s until 2035-2045.

-Custom and Tourny are not words u want to see on macgregor woods, not a death sentence but they tell alot. They are an common indicator that the woods are 1970-1985 produced as homages to the original 1950s persimmons woods of legends. If your macgregor has "Tourny" or "Custom" written on it but DOES NOT have a Oil Hardened Stamp, it is a 1980s reproduction.

-Oil hardened is the best stamp you can find to date woods on average, oil hardened process stopped due to cost/time in 1958-1965. After that most woods are air dried and hardened most of the time, not always. The process doesn't produce a less capable wood, the are just more susceptible to elements and are usually refinished a couple times by the time u would find them now.

-Check your top stamps. You cant fake an OG painted stamp (the paint used is no longer available and will show completely differently). 1980 Tourny macgregors came with "Tourny" written in cursive on the top of the club head. The fact that is missing means the clubs have been completely refurbished or refinished at least once.

-Insert color/condition. Inserts switched to plastics and plastic compounds in the 1970s-1980s. If an insert looks clean but faded in color, then most likely the insert has been replaced or you have a circa 1980 wood.

-Learn your versions! :D
There are many prized clubs out there. 945, 693, m85, those are the most common desired clubs and will guarantee you are getting the right wood produced and finished the correct way before bottom lines became the game of golf companies. I play my 1950s and wont hit anything but them, been thru 3 sets of macgregors now, play em till they break and then frame em up.

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
That sole plate would have 5 screws in it if it was from the 50s or 60s. Definitely an 80s model.

View attachment 9085858
im sorry but this is not true. the butterfly designed sole plate usually indicates a newer model for woods. (1955-1960 it began to become popular) A Sweepback sole plate with 4 screws is significantly more an indication of 1950-1953 production. Your 1954 or 1955 945w (not sure how far into production yours was made) does have a butterfly sole plate however the 1953 945w actually have a traditional sweepback sole plate still. So even your clubs are available in 1 year earlier production with 4 screws.

Last edited:
Back