Review Maltby Max Milled Wedges

Achilles515

Reaction score
Handicap
So I've been in the market for some wedges and honestly didn't want to spend a ton of money. So I went to Golfworks.com to see what they had to offer. Always liked Maltby stuff and Golfworks usually has good prices.

Upon searching their site I came across a "Pak" option which let's you pick the head and whether you want a steel or graphite shaft. You pick the length, they put a basic grip on it and ship it to you.

After looking I really liked the look of the Maltby Max Milled Wedges. They're full faced, forged and milled. The soles look like a TaylorMade with the grooves for turf interaction. There are no grind options and the bounce options were overall low in degrees. Highest they had was 10 or 12 and most options were 6 or 8. I contacted them directly inquiring their reasoning for that. They simply said that the combinations they offer they've tested extensively and they feel what's available is what will work the best for the general consumer. Fair enough.

So I pulled the trigger and went with a 54 and a 60 with Kuro Kage graphite shafts. Price per club was $64.99 which you cannot beat. You'd be lucky to find the shaft for that price.

Range Testing (no ball data just real world interaction)

Looks - Love the look of the entire club. The head is simple but appealing. The black shaft sets it off nice.

Feel - I was nervous about the graphite shaft in a wedge, it was a first for me. However, I'll say that I will never go back to a steel wedge shaft lol. These heads are a little heavier and combining that with a graphite shaft I felt like I had crazy good control and feel of the head. Balls felt good off the club face, even with range balls.

Distance Control - Very consistent. I've never been a great half swing kind of player but I felt like I was able to do it better than normal. On full swings distance was consistent, no hot spots or anything like that. Good flight.

Spin - What you'd expect for a club like this. I was using range balls on a chipping green which is lightning fast. To clarify, I like using range balls for testing because they're probably the worst balls to use and if they can perform solid anything above will be that much better. I was chipping about 10 yards, over a bunker with about a 10 ft landing area before the hole. I hit about 20 shots. Had 6 within within a foot of the hole, another 8 within 3-5 ft away and the rest within 5-10 ft of the hole. With range balls, in that situation, with fast greens I liked what I saw. I found them comparable to the MG2s that I had a while back.

Value/Final thought: These are direct to consumer so you won't find them in stores. But at $64.99 or less I honestly dont think you'll find a better value. Getting 2 for the price of a name brand is a steal every time. I'll be keeping them in the bag for the foreseeable future and will be hard pressed to take them out. If you're looking for a wedge set or a specific wedge check them out.

Attachments

• 20220629_200605.jpg
    20220629_200605.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 20220629_200556.jpg
    20220629_200556.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 105
These are some nice looking wedges! Very strong price point.

That might be the prettiest Maltby club I've seen. I had a 56* Maltby wedge that worked great for me, but I changed out wedge lofts with CBX2 and haven't looked back. They need to up their LH club game asap for me to come back and dabble

I liked your review. I'd love to see those type of results myself. Might have to check them out.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm shocked how nice those wedges look. I was just looking at some new ones and these don't seem like a bag one to check out. Thanks for the review!

I have the 56 degree with the MPF shaft. Very easy to use on short chips from the rough.
I'm a train wreck out of the sand with any club so cannot provide a fair review for this club.
Still experimenting on pitch shots.
Great feel off face.

Great looking club! I just checked Golfworks; the 58* assembled (also with Kuro Kage shaft) is about $75.00! For that price its hard not to pull the trigger.

Sharp looking wedge.

Just a quick follow up on these. Played 18 yesterday and used both the 54 and 60 every chance I got on actual course greens. The spin on these in shirt chips and pitches is great. I live in the south so greens are usually faster/harder but I was getting the E12 Contact to check up like crazy. Did some full swings with the 60 and maxed out about 77 yards. Great feel and control. Overall extremely pleased.

I ordered a 58 to try. If I like it, a 52 will be coming as well.

I ordered a 58 to try. If I like it, a 52 will be coming as well.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised overall. Let us know your thoughts after you get it.

Nice review. Glad they are working out for you.

Wow. I hadn't seen these. Kind of the edel concept of moveable weights in the wedges. This is pretty darn appealing with the grip and shaft selections. I'm not in the market for wedges but at half the price this is pretty darn appealing.

Wow. I hadn't seen these. Kind of the edel concept of moveable weights in the wedges. This is pretty darn appealing with the grip and shaft selections. I'm not in the market for wedges but at half the price this is pretty darn appealing.
Really different. This would be closer to something akin to PXG with the size of weights and placement than it would be Edel.

The Edel seems to be much more adjustable in terms of changing ball flight characteristics with the weights than the Maltby.

I just pulled the trigger on a 58* with a Kura Kage shaft and GP CP2 wrap grips.

Thoughts by anyone else who recently purchased one?

Only two shots with it tonight. One over a tall tree 85 yards to the green, first swing with the club in course, nailed the green, missed the putt. Felt sweet.

Second was short sided over a bunker. Maybe 15 yards to carry, and it checked up rather nicely maybe 8 feet past the pin. Again, missed the putt.

Thank God my new putter is coming Saturday....

Those arent bad looking, but something doesnt jive with my eye. Cant quite place it. Maybe they would look better in hand. Glad you guys are liking them, not a bad price for them.

Only two shots with it tonight. One over a tall tree 85 yards to the green, first swing with the club in course, nailed the green, missed the putt. Felt sweet.

Second was short sided over a bunker. Maybe 15 yards to carry, and it checked up rather nicely maybe 8 feet past the pin. Again, missed the putt.

Thank God my new putter is coming Saturday....

The spin on these is something I was pleasantly surprised with. Didn't expect them to get balls to check like they do.

Back