I have a 5 iron and unlike some of the guys here paid full price....Get lessons...Its not terrible, but not the greatest..

I picked up a Medicus 7 iron off the Bay and started practicing with it last night. I find it useful. The benefit of the tool is that it gives immediate feedback. For me at least, this feedback seems valuable. During previous lessons my instructor commented / instructed / guided me to get into certain positions. But it is very hard to know if you are in the proper position if you are hitting balls or doing drills. You have to go on feel and often times things feel different from what you are actually doing. With the Medicus when I get to my challenge position the thing breaks if my position is wrong. I can then understand that I'm off, how I'm off, make adjustments and correlate feel to positions. Also, you can do numerous repititions and feedback helps instill new muscle memory. I think this is going to be a helpful tool.

That said, I do see limitations to the tool:
1. It comes with minimal written instructions
2. It can be hard to understand why the club is breaking - if you are a person who wants to know "why", not just work to fix it, this tool might frustrate you.
3. Because of 1 and 2 this may not be the best tool for a beginner.
4. Because the hinge is sensitive it can be hard to swing the club w/out breaking the hinge. Using it requires some patience.

Conclusion...I wouldn't pay full price for this tool (but I am prone to frugality) but at the right price it can be a helpful aid.

I used the Medicus 7 iron for about 30ish swings at home the last two nights. I went and hit balls this morning. Wow, big impact. I definitely had some of the swing flaws going and when I made those mistakes things were actually uglier than usual. However, when I executed the swing I'd been practicing - which was more often than not - my dispersion was way tighter, ball flight was high and the swing was very repeatable. I have no idea if the Medicus driver works or not but based on my whopping 2 days with the 7i I am definitely continuing with this training aid. More repetitions should equal more muscle memory. Good stuff so far.

Back