Mevo+ challenges with driver and woods.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
I got my new Mevo+ a couple days ago and since I don't have an iPad setup it was challenging, but I finally got things going. I have done a lot of research on the Mevo+ device which is why I went in that direction, but I am having some of the issues that others have had with woods and driver and I need the device for my driver which is my winter project this year. I loaded the FS Golf app and using that first. I did read that FS Golf was not very good.

I have played on course round an average of 3 to 5 times a week this year so I know my on course yardages with my woods and driver and I am fully aware of the "inside swing syndrome" that folks talk about, but I actually swing faster in my practice bay than on course. The irons are pretty much on the money with the Mevo+ which shows that somehow the irons are getting proper reads. There is no way my 5 iron yardages would be the same or better than my 4 wood or driver - Mevo seems to think so :ROFLMAO:

My 4 wood carry is about 225 give or take and my driver is about 235 carry. Rarely do I get below these numbers unless it is a bad ball strike. My 4 wood is my "money" club, driver not so much. My swing speed on my 4 wood is about 97/98 and my driver is a tad over 100. Actually I am more SS reserved on the course than I am in my practice area and Mevo is showing accurate swing speeds. Swing speed charts show around 250 with a driver SS at 100 with a decent ball strike.

I plan on getting a projector and impact screen, but I currently hit into a net and have 7-9 feet behind and 8-10 (can increase to 12) in front of the ball and have done the Mevo alignment stuff, move things to see if any interference, no fluorescent lights (all LED), shop is wood frame, use the stickers, and a number of different ways to see if that makes a difference. The thing is irons are very close to my on course normal. It is just the woods and driver that is whacked.

In two days of sessions with the Mevo+ and about 150 shots I had maybe two shots that carried over 200 yards with the driver or 4 wood and I think one made it to 212. The rest were around 160-190. Even when I hit it solid and knew it was good, there was no decent yardage on the Mevo+. To give you an example I had some shots with my 5 iron on Mevo+ that carried 195.

I know they are doing an upgrade to Fusion tracking in a couple months - wished it were sooner. For those of you that have one if you can share anything that might be helpful to get better readings let me know. I do have an iPad coming later today so I can load some of the other software to work with. I admit I did not think it would give me the greatest readings with the driver or wood, but I was not expecting it to be this far off.

For now, try maxing out your flight distance to 12 feet and keep using stickers.

This week, Titleist is going to release ProV1 balls they designed for Trackman, the RCT. There is one early user who got a sample pack that swears they are able to be read by Mevo+. I’m going to order them. They’re going to be available for purchase at Titleist.com

@Luchnia It sounds like you're doing everything right.

Don't know if you are aware, but you want to watch the spin metric to see if it reads in italics, which means spin on the shot was estimated. If the numbers are not italicized, it means the unit got a good spin measurement. Also, when using camera alignment, make sure you also calibrate the settings distances (unit to ball and difference in height between unit and ball).

I'm using MEVO+ indoor at my local sim, with stickers and short indoor. My MEVO shows my driver averages as 93mph club speed, 210 yards carry, and spin 3000 rpm. (Maybe make sure your measurement units are set to Imperial, not metric?)

I'm truly a MEVO+ fan. It's amazing, and the upcoming changes are exciting. But, honestly, I don't see anything that will provide relief for higher swing speed guys aside from the Titleist balls. Henri Johnson, President of FlightScope, implied this from comments made this week as they did a QA as part of the rollout of the new Pro Package and Fusion Tracking. (I don't think Fusion Tracking will help the spin-read issues faced by the higher speed users.)

@Luchnia It sounds like you're doing everything right.

Don't know if you are aware, but you want to watch the spin metric to see if it reads in italics, which means spin on the shot was estimated. If the numbers are not italicized, it means the unit got a good spin measurement. Also, when using camera alignment, make sure you also calibrate the settings distances (unit to ball and difference in height between unit and ball).

I'm using MEVO+ indoor at my local sim, with stickers and short indoor. My MEVO shows my driver averages as 93mph club speed, 210 yards carry, and spin 3000 rpm. (Maybe make sure your measurement units are set to Imperial, not metric?)

I'm truly a MEVO+ fan. It's amazing, and the upcoming changes are exciting. But, honestly, I don't see anything that will provide relief for higher swing speed guys aside from the Titleist balls. Henri Johnson, President of FlightScope, implied this from comments made this week as they did a QA as part of the rollout of the new Pro Package and Fusion Tracking. (I don't think Fusion Tracking will help the spin-read issues faced by the higher speed users.)
Thanks for the info! Is your driver swing speed and distance provided by Mevo+ accurate, or have you checked it with other sources?

I looked at the logs and my average spin on driver was 3184 and my 4 wood was 3752 which is a bit high for me, but I could live with that being off some. My average carry with my 4 wood was 173 and my average carry with my 6 iron was 170 even with two bad ball strikes of 161 and 139. So from Mevo+ perspective I was only 3 yards longer carry average with my 4 wood. Iron numbers seem really good with Mevo+.

I was reading on a forum last night and one guy said he messed around with the distance behind the ball and what was amazing was that his worked best at around 7' and a few inches for him and everywhere else he put it gave bad readings. I also read one guy used two metallic dots in the pattern of the number 8 on the ball and it helped his readings. This makes me think the RCT balls will be promising.

I cannot imagine having to do these type of dialed in things to find the "sweet spot" for Mevo+ to work right for me, but I plan to work with it and see what to do to at least get it the best for my purposes. Another person told me to see if I can get a bit more distance in front of the ball because he hit paydirt when he did that. I will add some more today, but I don't have a ton more I can give it in my current setup due to my backdrop until I get an impact screen set up.

I'm confident it's measuring my metrics accurately. That's why there's something else, maybe even specific to your unit that is off. I've heard other reports that "less is more" when it comes to unit to ball distance. If you can move your mat back toward the unit, and give yourself more flight distance too, you might find something. Don't ignore differences in height between unit and impact spot on the mat.

One thing I always wondered was if the higher speed guys just make more noise at impact, and that throws off the radar read for spin. I use my unit at either the local sim bay or in my basement. Both really have nothing more than drywall and impact screen around. We've been told fluorescent lights throw off sound that interferes, so could the louder strike of a 110 mph swing do same? I wonder if guys who try to quiet their drivers with cotton balls or hot melt find any difference...

I have one too. Driver numbers never seem right, so I don't use it much for driver work other than DTL video recording when I was checking to see if I was too flat at the top. I do use it a lot for short game practice like 20-100yds. Also, lots of the updates have definitely improved it's ability to pick up shots like a bump and run.

Also I bought an iPad just for the mevo. It's the only apple product I have. I do like the E6 app more than fliggtscope apps. Plus E6 added Bay Hill to the courses. But driver is no better on E6.

I too am hoping those new RCT balls help. I'll be trying them out when I find them too.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this thread! I got motivated to try adding a strip of lead tape to a ball. First 5 shots are without dots or tape and the rest were with a strip of tape. All the spin rates over 3000 were estimated by the Mevo +. On my IPad they were in italics.

I also tried adding 2 strips of lead tape 90* apart. Took the mevo a long time to render those shots and they were all estimated spin rates. I'm guessing it got too much data since it was taking so long. I did that after I downloaded the table below, so they aren't included.

Down sides to the lead tape is it started coming off by the 10th shot and got pretty gnarly where it came off. Luckily it didn't put any gashes in my screen. However on closer inspection I can see some light marks on my screen that the lead tape left behind. Those issues would both be remedied with the RCT ball. Could potentially try lining up 7 or 8 of the dots too.

Attachments

• FSGolf-Shared-Shot.png
    FSGolf-Shared-Shot.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20211031_151850.jpg
    20211031_151850.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
Moved my net another foot further away from the ball and put two dots on a ball to look like the number 8. I only hit a few irons and a couple wood shots, but the numbers looked much better.

My iPad came in so I started working on that and it is almost setup. Installed FS Golf and FS Skills app and now downloading E6 Connect. Hopefully I can test things out further tomorrow evening and give an update.

FYI, the RCT balls are available for ordering off of Titleist.com. Both ProV1 and ProV1x versions.

Ok, I have got my numbers much better. They are still off, but a lot better. I got my iPad set up with FS Golf, FS Skills, and E6 Connect that came with Mevo+. Right now I have it all connected to a 65" TV until I get my impact screen and projector ordered and setup.

Here is what I did - not sure what is making the most difference because I basically did all these before testing:
1. Set the Mevo+ about 7' and listed 8' in the software.
2. Moved my net out another foot further in front of the ball - it is probably 9.5 feet now.
3. Used two metallic dots in position on the ball like the number 8. I think it helps reduce the times Mevo+ cannot pick up the shot as I did not have many that did not pick up.

Amazing how my numbers have changed from the driver carry from 160-190 to now around 210-230. Driver swing speed (101.2) is basically the same as it was when I first got the unit and tested, but since I have messed with all the things above, smash is better (still a little low), spin is better, etc.

My testing does shows me I cannot fully trust the device with driver or woods, yet. It might be possible once I find out where it works the best. I will continue to try to get this tweaked for best performance.

It is still off about 10-20 yards, but no doubt way better and I can deal with it now. I was really discouraged at first because it requires a lot of finagling to get something satisfactory and I will admit for 2 grand I was thinking it would not be this much of an issue.

One other thing I noticed is that the ball height with the driver is not equal to what I get on course and I am guessing this affects the yardage that Mevo+ is showing. Average was only 46' which is closer to a wood. Maybe this requires some tilting of the unit one way or the other to get those numbers closer?

At least I am getting closer to some numbers that I can at least work with.

I think the default display of height in MEVO+ is yards. Are you hitting 46' in the air or 46 yards?

46.5'

3. Used two metallic dots in position on the ball like the number 8. I think it helps reduce the times Mevo+ cannot pick up the shot as I did not have many that did not pick up.

Can you post a picture of this? I don't understand how 2 dots make an "8" and I am having the same issues with driver hitting 150 mph ball speed and carrying around 200 yards.

Sort of like an infiniti symbol, but overlap them a tiny bit more. It seems to help some.
Inf.png

I did get some time to work with mine some more today and I found that FS Golf simply doesn't get the right yardages no matter how well the ball is struck or how fast the swing is. At my average today of 100.6 SS with the driver the best I could get was 195 yard average.

Ball height is only averaging 42 feet with the driver and no matter what just cannot get any decent height numbers with FS Golf. I suppose when I get my impact screen and get more distance between the ball and screen maybe that will be better. I would think FS would work on getting this better somehow in the future.

I loaded E6 and started using it and it was night and day difference. Yardages were very close to what my on course is. Driver was good, woods were good, irons were good. That was a plus and I was able to use E6 for practice and played some sim rounds just to get used to it.

The only thing about E6 was that chipping seemed a bit off to me. I don't see that as a big deal for me. The FS Skills app is probably ok for chipping practice.

Try to uninstall and reinstall FS Golf if you haven’t done so. Odd that e6 is good but FS Golf is wonky.

Sort of like an infiniti symbol, but overlap them a tiny bit more. It seems to help some.
View attachment 9041161

I did get some time to work with mine some more today and I found that FS Golf simply doesn't get the right yardages no matter how well the ball is struck or how fast the swing is. At my average today of 100.6 SS with the driver the best I could get was 195 yard average.

Ball height is only averaging 42 feet with the driver and no matter what just cannot get any decent height numbers with FS Golf. I suppose when I get my impact screen and get more distance between the ball and screen maybe that will be better. I would think FS would work on getting this better somehow in the future.

I loaded E6 and started using it and it was night and day difference. Yardages were very close to what my on course is. Driver was good, woods were good, irons were good. That was a plus and I was able to use E6 for practice and played some sim rounds just to get used to it.

The only thing about E6 was that chipping seemed a bit off to me. I don't see that as a big deal for me. The FS Skills app is probably ok for chipping practice.

Thanks for info, I will give E6 a try with driver. I have been using the 40 yard chipping range in there and it seems good other than excessive roll out even with medium firmness.

A user from a MEVO+ FB group received his order of Titleist RCT balls yesterday. He is reporting the balls have eliminated his spin issues with driver altogether! He reps to being 105-110mph swing speed.

A user from a MEVO+ FB group received his order of Titleist RCT balls yesterday. He is reporting the balls have eliminated his spin issues with driver altogether! He reps to being 105-110mph swing speed.
This is great news!

I was able to work with mine again today for a few hours and so far I am finding the FS Golf app way short, but here is what is wild. - the E6 Connect appears long on my irons. I did not notice it yesterday. For example I was hitting 8 iron 150-160+ which that is my 140-150 club. I know I can hit a bit different given the day and that could be some of it. I also had a number of misreads today whereas yesterday I hardly had any. Most of the misreads were with my 5 or 6 iron. Everything else picked up.

I will have to get some of the RCT balls and try them out. I have a projector and impact screen ordered and on the way. When I get that I will have at least 11 feet from ball to screen which I am hoping will help the numbers as well. That will be roughly 2 foot further out. I want to get the numbers close enough that my actual hits will be allow a purpose driven practice. Especially with my longer clubs.

I have one too. Driver numbers never seem right, so I don't use it much for driver work other than DTL video recording when I was checking to see if I was too flat at the top. I do use it a lot for short game practice like 20-100yds. Also, lots of the updates have definitely improved it's ability to pick up shots like a bump and run.

Also I bought an iPad just for the mevo. It's the only apple product I have. I do like the E6 app more than fliggtscope apps. Plus E6 added Bay Hill to the courses. But driver is no better on E6.

I too am hoping those new RCT balls help. I'll be trying them out when I find them too.

I still don't have Bay Hill on e6. I wonder why I still have the original 5, when I've seen a lot of people have Bay Hill now. Did your e6 update recently?

E6 worked better for driver on the range compared to FS Golf. Regardless of spin improvements, I feel the RCT balls would be worth the money to avoid having to align the metal dot on every shot.

My ProV1x RCT will be here Monday. Did a bit more reading, and it sounds like 10' of flight seems to be a magic number, regardless of dots or RCT balls. Henri Johnson said the faster the ball, the more flight is needed to measure spin. I think we just have to get used to the idea of 10' of flight as the minimum for driver.

My ProV1x RCT will be here Monday. Did a bit more reading, and it sounds like 10' of flight seems to be a magic number, regardless of dots or RCT balls. Henri Johnson said the faster the ball, the more flight is needed to measure spin. I think we just have to get used to the idea of 10' of flight as the minimum for driver.
Let us know how the RCT balls do.

This is good to know as I will be experimenting with the distance from ball to screen. I can go up to possible 12-13 foot if needed, but I prefer my setup to be around 10-11 foot for the way my area is laid out.

My projector came but my impact screen did not arrive last week as it was supposedly damaged by UPS (got a message from UPS that said package was damaged and all contents missing). Go figure. I contacted the seller and he immediately sent out another one which should be here Tuesday.

My projector is right at 10' now, but I can also move that to about any distance front or back needed to get the best screen size. I have that finished and built me a cage around it.

It will probably be Wednesday before I can get the impact screen up and get everything completed. I will update on how the Mevo+ does after I get in a position to test things out more.

I still don't have Bay Hill on e6. I wonder why I still have the original 5, when I've seen a lot of people have Bay Hill now. Did your e6 update recently?
Some time back in the spring an update made my E6 have a blank screen when I went to the flghtscope setup screen (left/right alignment). I got the alignment screen back and the Bay Hill option at the same time. I'm using an iPad btw.

BH is now my least favorite E6 course. Which is same status the one it replaced had. Lol

Some time back in the spring an update made my E6 have a blank screen when I went to the flghtscope setup screen (left/right alignment). I got the alignment screen back and the Bay Hill option at the same time. I'm using an iPad btw.

BH is now my least favorite E6 course. Which is same status the one it replaced had. Lol

Thanks I'll see if I get that update sometime with Bay Hill. I've read that it isn't a favorite course among many that have the update, so I must not be missing much.

Any updates with the RCT ball and Mevo+?

Back