Michigan hackers, check in here

Need a course within 1 hour of Cadillac MI. Not playing my FIL muni anymore need a nice spot.
Exactly one hour away and worth three times the drive. Arcadia Bluffs. Thank me later.

Exactly one hour away and worth three times the drive. Arcadia Bluffs. Thank me later.
Sold out for months and months in advance. I did get a tee time for July, back in Feb.

Yeah and tree tops ain't too far either

Yeah and tree tops ain't too far either
And you’re about an hour from the Shanty Creek Resort. The Legend there is a beautiful Arnie Palmer layout.

Sold out for months and months in advance. I did get a tee time for July, back in Feb.
There are limited times available for 1-2 players, and twilight rates available in the summer. That course would be awesome at twilight.

There are limited times available for 1-2 players, and twilight rates available in the summer. That course would be awesome at twilight.
I just saw that, I was going to correct myself that twilights were available. We have 8 guys going there, then we will hit the Shanty Creek courses, I really like The Legend there. Not the Bluffs, but sweet in its own right. I really enjoy Twin Birch in Kalkaska as well. Nothing exceptional but it tickles my fancy.

I just saw that, I was going to correct myself that twilights were available. We have 8 guys going there, then we will hit the Shanty Creek courses, I really like The Legend there. Not the Bluffs, but sweet in its own right. I really enjoy Twin Birch in Kalkaska as well. Nothing exceptional but it tickles my fancy.
Yes the Legend is one of the prettiest courses I’ve ever played. Another favorite up there is much farther from Cadillac, Dunmaglas. Great fun. And in Cadillac, you have to stop by El Dorado, just to see the clubhouse with the two old Caddy El Dorado convertibles in the lobby!

Yes the Legend is one of the prettiest courses I’ve ever played. Another favorite up there is much farther from Cadillac, Dunmaglas. Great fun. And in Cadillac, you have to stop by El Dorado, just to see the clubhouse with the two old Caddy El Dorado convertibles in the lobby!
Have you played The Chief at Shanty Creek? Thats 7 minutes from the end of my driveway up there.

You’re also about an hour from St. Ives and Tullymore.
Pick Tullymore over St. Ives if you can. St Ives is elevated tees down to the fairway back up to elevated greens. It gets tiring after the first half-dozen times.

Also Forest Dunes/The Loop is only an hour fifteen. Traverse City has some good options as well.

Have you played The Chief at Shanty Creek? Thats 7 minutes from the end of my driveway up there.
I have not. Maybe some day in a visit “back home”.

Need a course within 1 hour of Cadillac MI. Not playing my FIL muni anymore need a nice spot.
In Cadillac:
Lakewood on the Green. Difficult course but well-maintained.
Eldorado. Long, fun course that's in good shape. Maybe a little over-priced without any kind of discount
Caberfae Resort. Tough 9 hole course in the middle of nowhere. Cheap unlimited yearly membership ($99) but a bit over-priced for the crowded weekend tee times.

Within 30 mins:
Antioch Hills. This is my home course in Mesick. Reasonable rates. It only tops out at just over 5800 yards, but the new owners have turned it into a very decent course.
Emerald Vale in Manton. One of my favorite course designs. Usually in good shape though I have seen the rough get a little long. Never seen this course over-crowded.
Missaukee Golf Club in Lake City. Very easy course but nothing to write home about. Rates are a little high.
Within an hour:
Crystal Mountain Resort. Two very nice courses. I’d recommend the Mountain Course but the Betsie Valley course is also beautiful. Maybe a little bit more expensive but worth it, IMO.

There are also a lot of decent courses in the Traverse City area. Grand Traverse Resort maybe a bit more than an hour, but they have 3 very nice courses (I haven't played any of them). @lil'mike or @dthogey may be able to provide better information on courses up that way.

Edit: My mistake. @MGoBlue is correct... this is only an hour to the west of Cadillac right on Lake Michigan is Arcadia Bluffs - a top 100 public course. Too pricey for me and not my type of course anyway (I received a free pass years ago), but the Bluffs course is the nicest course I will probably ever play in this lifetime.

Last edited:
In Cadillac:
Lakewood on the Green. Difficult course but well-maintained.
Eldorado. Long, fun course that's in good shape. Maybe a little over-priced without any kind of discount
Caberfae Resort. Tough 9 hole course in the middle of nowhere. Cheap unlimited yearly membership ($99) but a bit over-priced for the crowded weekend tee times.

Within 30 mins:
Antioch Hills. This is my home course in Mesick. Reasonable rates. It only tops out at just over 5800 yards, but the new owners have turned it into a very decent course.
Emerald Vale in Manton. One of my favorite course designs. Usually in good shape though I have seen the rough get a little long. Never seen this course over-crowded.
Missaukee Golf Club in Lake City. Very easy course but nothing to write home about. Rates are a little high.
Within an hour:
Crystal Mountain Resort. Two very nice courses. I’d recommend the Mountain Course but the Betsie Valley course is also beautiful. Maybe a little bit more expensive but worth it, IMO.

There are also a lot of decent courses in the Traverse City area. Grand Traverse Resort maybe a bit more than an hour, but they have 3 very nice courses (I haven't played any of them). @lil'mike or @dthogey may be able to provide better information on courses up that way.

Edit: My mistake. @MGoBlue is correct... this is only an hour to the west of Cadillac right on Lake Michigan is Arcadia Bluffs - a top 100 public course. Too pricey for me and not my type of course anyway (I received a free pass years ago), but the Bluffs course is the nicest course I will probably ever play in this lifetime.
I'll bother my father in law about taking me to 1 of these. He always takes me to Tustin trails and it's cool and all but damn can I play something nice? 😂

I'll bother my father in law about taking me to 1 of these. He always takes me to Tustin trails and it's cool and all but damn can I play something nice? 😂
I haven’t played Tustin Hills but it looks a lot like Caberfae Peaks. I’m probably more like your FIL in that I don’t mind a course like that as long as it isn’t a total dump and it isn’t packed all the time. At the same time, I need some variety - especially when on vacation.

1. Arcadia Bluffs (bluffs course is the more scenic of the 2 options) if the cost isn’t an issue.

2. Crystal Mountain - Mountain Ridge course is my 2nd suggestion. They’ve held some high level amateur events on that course.

Wherever you end up, I hope you enjoy the golf.

I haven’t played Tustin Hills but it looks a lot like Caberfae Peaks. I’m probably more like your FIL in that I don’t mind a course like that as long as it isn’t a total dump and it isn’t packed all the time. At the same time, I need some variety - especially when on vacation.

1. Arcadia Bluffs (bluffs course is the more scenic of the 2 options) if the cost isn’t an issue.

2. Crystal Mountain - Mountain Ridge course is my 2nd suggestion. They’ve held some high level amateur events on that course.

Wherever you end up, I hope you enjoy the golf.
He always wears tree tops, Arcadia bluffs, and a couple other course logo hats and shirts and then some how I never get to go 😂. Now that my son is playing with us he is like hey maybe we can play something else...finally!

Tustin is always in good condition, always pretty quick to play, and he is a member. Plays every Wednesday with his brother and 2 best friends. Been doing it for 20 years now.

Playing missaukee how is it?

Looks like a PGA Superstore is opening in Novi on July 27th. That's awesome! Some real competition to Carl's???

1000010040.jpg

Back