Missing Putts - Why?

I blame the equipment!!
Seriously, although not a regular player over the last few years when I do play I struggle on the short game, this is mainly down to lack of playing (which also comes under the lack of practice category). Normally my putts are short and I dont read the line too good. Every now and again I will race on past. But they rarely go on line!
Read an article recently that says golfers should focus less on the putting stroke mechanics and more on where they are trying to hit the ball. Rather like, to use their analogy, a hunter. He naturally pulls the spear back but takes great care in where it is aimed.
I took this out onto a putting green and tried it, and I did find my accuracy was better. I also made sure I was aligned.
Out on the course earlier this week I had 4 3 putts but all were on line, just very short (left 30 foot putts around 10 foot short). Didnt miss any under 8 foot. Holed one from 20ft. Made a couple of other one putts. My average putts was down but there is still room for improvement. I would add that the greens were very very wet (one 9 iron approach plugged on the green so that the top of the ball was below the surface of the green!).
So I would say the main reasons for my missed putts are:
Lack of practice
Poor read of speed required

The only reason I miss putts is because the ball didn't go in the hole :act-up:

Can you really say that you really misread the line? As long as the put isn't dead straight, doesn't it all depend on the speed of your putt in combination with the line you chose?

2 people from the exact same spot can putt the ball on 2 slightly different lines and both may make the putt depending on the speed of the putt.

Yes. You think it breaks right and it stays straight. You think it breaks right and it moves left. You think its straight and it breaks.

You hit it out too far for it to ever come back, and you never give it enough break no matter how hard you hit it.

Can you really say that you really misread the line? As long as the put isn't dead straight, doesn't it all depend on the speed of your putt in combination with the line you chose?

2 people from the exact same spot can putt the ball on 2 slightly different lines and both may make the putt depending on the speed of the putt.

Last edited:

I do agree on your second statement. My league partner and I putt differently. To the point where he doesn't watch my first one for line when we're playing in a scramble. I like to die the ball into the hole and he likes to jam it by a foot or two. On the same break, my ball hits the hole more on the high side than his does.

My big three:

Keep my head down during the complete stroke
Completing the correct follow through (club to also follow line) without breaking the wrist (pull/push).
Leaving it juuuuust short or graze the lip on the high side. Either way it's usually a tap, but frustrating.

Regardless of which process fails, I can almost tell before the putt if I have that gut confidence that says it's going in. If it's not there, I'm just hoping..not good.

I agree with this completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the worst putter there is. I practice quite often, and do pretty good while practicing. But when I get the the course and have a make able put, I can't get it done. I don't understand that problem. Not sure if I am tensing up or not committing to the putt when on the course.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reading greens. It's an art

I am the worst putter there is. I practice quite often, and do pretty good while practicing. But when I get the the course and have a make able put, I can't get it done. I don't understand that problem. Not sure if I am tensing up or not committing to the putt when on the course.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

You just get jerky? My FIL was the same way. Great practice putter, but stunk it up on the course. Used to jab at the ball. He tried a bunch of stuff to fight it, including going to the belly. Ended up with a large super stroke grip, but I think the key for him is focusing on a low smooth follow through. Golf is such a mental game and putting is no exception! Hope you get it worked out.

I personally think most amateurs under read break in place for speed. They don't see the bend required to actually make the putt in a safe enough manner for a two putt. They barely miss but run it 6 feet by.

More break, less speed means more 1putts and less 3putts!

It's not often I agree with Thain, but I'm in total agreement here and it isn't based on personal experience. I constantly see playing partners hammer a putt past the hole when they break was subtly taking more control of the ball. It might sound dumb, but anything outside of 10 feet and I'm just trying to get it close enough to tap in. Yet from here I'll see folks knock the damn ball off the green or woefully misjudge the break and left it several feet outside. We all do it from time to time. Just ask Trout, I missed one by a country mile Tuesday lol.

True, but that won't really translate to a putt with some length on it. Physics has to take over at some point. If you allow for too much it will never come back, and viceversa.

Speed control wasn't on the initial list, but I believe that is the primary reason that I, and the rest of us who practice at their putting, routinely miss putts.

I know I will get better. I go through streaks were my putting isnt to bad. I am thinking of going out and finding an SPI and see if they can help me out. I have come to really like some of the SeeMore putters out there and reading about their putting technique has really peaked my interest.

Speed control wasn't on the initial list, but I believe that is the primary reason that I, and the rest of us who practice at their putting, routinely miss putts.

I agree with this statement. I am also really bad at reading putts. I dont practice my putting so my swing is not very repeatable. Another factor is switching balls all the time. The balls make a difference in how the face reacts to it. So many factors.

im not sure if anyones mentioned this but a huge thing is confidence in your putting and just how big the hole feels when your over the ball. when you've built some momentum from making a few bombs you generally dont start lipping out 3 footers on your way back to the club house

Back