Mission Inn - El Campeon

It's a pretty simple course, actually.

Just dont miss left or right off the tee. Watch out for the water. Judge the elevation correctly, and dont hit it in the rough.

So my occasional miss down the middle will work?

You guys are really worrying me now............ I'm not exactly known to be the most accurate off the tee. "That way somewhere" pretty much describes my tee game right now. Guess it's time to get to the range and work on the tee shots.

You guys are really worrying me now............ I'm not exactly known to be the most accurate off the tee. "That way somewhere" pretty much describes my tee game right now. Guess it's time to get to the range and work on the tee shots.

yeah you got time to iron it out, tee game is pivotal here.

yeah you got time to iron it out, tee game is pivotal here.

I foresee a lot of hybrids off the tee then... I'd rather be 210 and in play on a course like this as long as the tees are reasonable.

I foresee a lot of hybrids off the tee then... I'd rather be 210 and in play on a course like this as long as the tees are reasonable.

I think the Blue were 6600 and whites were 6300 so lots of options available

As well as not getting caught up by the views

And the trees. There were many of them.

Depends on the tee length you're playing. Some holes for example are straight up hill so you might be looking more at 230 to an uphill green if you're not careful. Just hit it and worry about it later haha

I thought the scariest hole was on the back nine. It was the one down the hill with water right. Par 5. I believe number 14? Or 15? It's a narrow landing area from the tee and not much room on either side due to the trees

I thought the scariest hole was on the back nine. It was the one down the hill with water right. Par 5. I believe number 14? Or 15? It's a narrow landing area from the tee and not much room on either side due to the trees

This one?

e5eparuv.jpg

That's the hole. I think it was 14.

It never set up well for me either, I kept thinking that water was in play with a well poked drive. Pretty sure I went left both times I played it which was a disaster all in itself.

I dont even want to talk about trees

RIP Callaway prototype balls

I dont even want to talk about trees

RIP Callaway prototype balls

I was walking to the pro shop Sunday morning and I found one of them up near the restaurant in a plant on 17, scuff free. All I kept thinking is what in the world, how is that even possible?!

I was walking to the pro shop Sunday morning and I found one of them up near the restaurant in a plant on 17, scuff free. All I kept thinking is what in the world, how is that even possible?!

I kind of remember someone in a group I was in losing one over there Saturday. Like past the walled off part near the water?

I kind of remember someone in a group I was in losing one over there Saturday. Like past the walled off part near the water?

Kinda? A quick google earth distance check put it about 120yds right of the green. It was past the restaurant patio and in the bushes next to the concrete walkway that would put you at that patio.

Ok, you're talking about a completely different area. This one was lost maybe 10 yards right of the edge of the green.

Wait. 17 isn't near the proshop, its near the hotel.

Ok, you're talking about a completely different area. This one was lost maybe 10 yards right of the edge of the green.

Hrm. I probably should have tried to find that one for research and education purposes.

My experience with 7 sticks out more than any as a tough hole. A 448yd par 4, this hole ate up both groups I played with. Downhill to the fairway, where if you are left, you're blocked by the pine trees at best, or in the drink at worst. Catching the slope of the fairway down to the right requires a cut/fade due to trees along the right side of the fairway. Can't carry the creek at all, even on the short left side it's 280+. The only play to leave you a shot to the green is about a 15 yard window down the center/right side 270+ yds. Anything less and you're looking 3w or just laying up.

Saturday I hid a pretty decent drive, but down the left and right behind the pine trees and had to punch out back in the fairway, still short of the creek, and I think I was left with like 170, uphill. Beautiful hole, but a real PITA. Can't wait to play it again!

pg_campeon17.jpg

golf_banner.jpg

Last edited:
The voice of El Campeon says...

"THPers were my biotches this weekend".

A lot of those holes were a challenge. Of course, no track plays easy when I swing like I was today.

I saw quite a few U-Turn putts today and ended up with a downhill putt on 17 that had 20ft of break.

She was a *****, but the pretty kind.

Effing tree

Bringing a chainsaw next time.

Tough course, so challenging and demands perfection off the tees and with the Sunday pin placements on the greens as well.

Those greens...ugh

Some of the greens weren't a problem. GETTING to the greens was always the problem. Hole 13 made me feel stupid both days. I could never get to my left side going through the ball and would catch it thin and bound through the green. You're working hard to make double if you're over the green. By over the green, I mean through the trees past the green haha

Back