Mizuno MP-69 Irons Preview

They are sexy looking, but well outside of where my game is at.

Those are sweet, but no way could I game them. Not nearly a good enough ball striker

Those are some really nice looking irons, they are also very easy to hit.

Just got to do another post on this thread, sorry.

I have been playing blades since the dawn of time and can say that yes there are several blades out there, but then there are MIZUNO blades.

Mid 90s I had a dabble with Titleist blades, but that lasted all of 12 months. Nothing like the feel of the Mizuno gear. If you treat a blade well, and put a reasonably good consistent swing on them they will reward you with the sweetest feeling ever. Misshits though are another story.

Distance wise they are generally not quite as long as some of the modern, stronger lofted cavity backs but whereas some on here have commented about the occaisional boomer from the likes of the TM Burner 2s that flies 10+yds more than expected, I have not found any of that with the blades I have owned through the years.

Hitting blades is not as difficult as some of the magazines will have you believe as the modern blade is certainly more forgiving that the old ones from 30yrs ago. It is more a state of mind, and if you 'think' a good swing with them that will certainly help.

If you have never used blades before, it is one of those MUST DO things before you die. You will not regret it.

A friend has the MP-68s and compared to my MP-33s they are really far easier to get the ball in the air, so these MP-69s should be an absolute dream.

Wow. These be amazing looking irons! Mizuno irons always seem great, I've got to hit them some time.

Real classic look. Too much club for me but gorgeous to stare at.

Love these irons as they have been in my bag for about a week now. They are so sweet and feel amazing. I don't think there is a club out there that feels this good from what I have hit. These things are WAY more forgiving than you would expect which is very nice. I have played only 1 round with these irons but it was they best round of my career hitting a new record 16 GIRs and shooting a 64. I promote most of this to getting fully fitted for these and getting the right shaft. I went from a stiff flex to X-Stiff and from a dynalite shaft to a DG XP shaft. They look stunning and feel amazing. The sweet spot is very easy to find and they have good workability.

You said "WAY more forgiving".
What do you think attributes to any more forgiveness compared to any other muscleback?

That video took me back to my first set of MP 14s. Those irons look very noice...playas play!

Kongfrontation

You said "WAY more forgiving".
What do you think attributes to any more forgiveness compared to any other muscleback?

Maybe I worded it wrong but i'll give it a shot. First I want to say I have never played a muscle back before, but I feel I am a VERY good ball striker(but I will still hit a shot or two REALLY bad every now and again). Originally blades weren't even on my list of irons to hit when I was shopping around but my head pro recommended them based on my skill. I haven't had them long just a week but I have had multiple range sessions and played a round with them. Based on my mishits with these during the round and range session I think the mishits are very similar to my past iron set(Nike CCI). I didn't lose much distance and it wasn't that fair off target. Based on reviews on different blades and the way people react when they hear people have blades who are a bit higher handicaps I figured it would be much worse on mishits. I would say that the weight mass distribution in the head contributes to the forgiveness. They spread the weight out evenly and it produces a great iron. Lastly they just feel amazing. You don't feel a thing when you flush them and they fly so high and far. As everyone knows sound and feel are directly correlated and they sound beautiful.

I probably picked bad words or shouldn't of capped way since I haven't played with them much but just based on first impressions I am very happy and impressed. I feel it will only get better which is already hard to believe.

played my second round with these and shot a 74. Wasn't as good as my first round but thru 2 rounds of golf with these I am hitting 84% of Greens.

blades aren't as hard to play as most people have been lead to believe. I'm still a high handicapper, 24.5 but using Mizuno MP-32's went from a 36 to my current handicap. If I was able to play more often, I could be close to 18 by now. The thing with blades, or forged heads, is that you get feedback from each shot and you can tell when and why you hit it poorly. Most of you are familiar with the Score4161 clubs, Terry Koehler who developed those clubs has a blog on another site that details why more of us should play blades. I highly recommend it. Just google "The Wedge Guy" if you are interested.

Larry

This isn't really a place for that debate, but remember two things.

You don't need a forged blade to get feedback and Terry sells the clubs that he says are better for your game.

blades aren't as hard to play as most people have been lead to believe. I'm still a high handicapper, 24.5 but using Mizuno MP-32's went from a 36 to my current handicap. If I was able to play more often, I could be close to 18 by now. The thing with blades, or forged heads, is that you get feedback from each shot and you can tell when and why you hit it poorly. Most of you are familiar with the Score4161 clubs, Terry Koehler who developed those clubs has a blog on another site that details why more of us should play blades. I highly recommend it. Just google "The Wedge Guy" if you are interested.

Larry

Wrong. Wrong. Another wrong. A little more wrong. Can I get a side of wrong with that?

Its cool that you dropped 11.5 points by using blades. You got better. Cool. Are you sure the clubs didnt limit your progression? Youd probably be at a 15 by now if you played clubs that suited your game. Your ego wouldnt be so awesome though.

Good looking iron.

I don't think there's any reason to be condescending about it. Some people play better with a blade than others. I've seen it first hand. However, I do think that there are some cliche's about blades that aren't true at all (like the added feedback).

have the 68's but these and the 59's are some sweet looking irons. But then again, I say that about every "new" iron, wedge, driver, fairway wood, hybrid, bag and shoe I see... I think I have a problem.... Haha

I need to figure out where I can hit these to try them out. They look awesome.

iOS using Tapatalk

Wrong. Wrong. Another wrong. A little more wrong. Can I get a side of wrong with that?

Its cool that you dropped 11.5 points by using blades. You got better. Cool. Are you sure the clubs didnt limit your progression? Youd probably be at a 15 by now if you played clubs that suited your game. Your ego wouldnt be so awesome though.

Wow, thanks for helping the new guy to feel welcome. So happy I joined this group............If my ego were as big as some people's, I'd have just lied about my handicap.

Those are awesome! They look so sleek.

Wow, thanks for helping the new guy to feel welcome. So happy I joined this group............If my ego were as big as some people's, I'd have just lied about my handicap.

While I dont necessarily disagree with Thainer's message, please do understand that not everybody here will handle that the same way. Welcome to THP and we are glad to have you.

Wow Thainer, are you on Canadian attack mode? :D Maybe these clubs are the perfect fit for him?

I've never even tried to hit a blade yet, but these things are gorgeous looking and would love a chance to put a swing on them.

While I dont necessarily disagree with Thainer's message, please do understand that not everybody here will handle that the same way. Welcome to THP and we are glad to have you.

Wow Thainer, are you on Canadian attack mode? :D Maybe these clubs are the perfect fit for him?

I've never even tried to hit a blade yet, but these things are gorgeous looking and would love a chance to put a swing on them.

I am truly unsure of how that came out like THAT. I have sent him multiple apologies, of which I hope he accepts.

Sorry dude. The tone that my post projected was completely unintentional.

I agree with Larry to an extent. I think people don't even give blades a chance which could prevent them from advancing their game. I was guilty of this for a bit but changed it a few months ago. Honestly blades aren't as hard to hit as people think. Yes it takes a bit more consistent ball striker to play blades but I'm sure more of you could play them then you think. I do think you get a little bit more feedback but not as much as some would describe. There isn't huge stingers(or at least I haven't felt one yet). I think blades could improve a lot of peoples games as some have stated they concentrate more on their striking.

I think more people should try blades out and figure out if there for their game or not and not make generalizations about them. That is the biggest thing in the equipment of golf is generalizations when there is so many different factors and things that contribute to your own game. These clubs are fantastic and I didn't think I was fully ready for blades but I hit these better than any iron I have played to date.

Back