Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I am really starting to get into physical conditioning to be ready for the 36 hole Saturday. I ran 3 miles yesterday after I got back home from Georgia. I also took full swings in the apartment with a driver after I got done with the run. I also worked on the course with not trying to reach out for a few extra yards and I really tried to play within myself.

I have really started to work on my back swing and keeping it a bit slower to make sure that I don't go quite to parallel. I have a big natural shoulder turn that I am constantly fighting because it feels so natural to go past parallel, but that contorts my hips and my body has to adjust mid swing to allow myself to make good contact with the ball. When I am on video, I am always amazed that, what feels like a 3/4 swing is actually a full swing.

I have been working on a checklist as a part of my pre-shot routine so it will become something I just do without thinking about it.
*Practice swing directly behind the ball (3 seconds)
*lineup/visualize shot (3-5 seconds)
*setup over shot remembering to keep the belt buckle down and weight over the balls of my feet (1 second)
*waggle and get comfortable (2-4 seconds usually)
*nice tempo on takeaway and focus on keeping my hands even with my shoulders on the back swing to avoid going too far back

The longer the club, the more natural it is for me to go to parallel or just past. This has been my bane and will continue to be till I get it trained out of myself. It will happen, but I will have to keep an eye on it very closely.

Assuming the rain stays away, I will be teeing it up today with fellow MC'er Howzat. My goal today is to finish figuring out which shape putter I am going to go with and I think I should be able to get that done. We will probably play Match Play as to continue with the trend and I have a few other things I am working on with my short game shape up that I am going to incorporate into today's round to continue to the practice.

you are a short game mad man, you really struggling to find THAT putter? Or you just struggling to find that PERFECT putter?

Played 9 again yesterday. Overall a pretty decent round, not as good as my last two rounds this weekend. Anyhow, everything is going nice and straight, just caught a few irons heavy today, which could partly be due to how wet the course is. Lots of spots are pretty mushy from all the rain we have gotten. Played match play with my brother in law and it came down to the last hole all square and I won with a par

Nice win bro! I hate playing in mushy stuff. First of all, it is just nasty on the clubs and having to constantly clean them, and I do the same as you, chunkers....or thinned because I am trying to pick

I am really starting to get into physical conditioning to be ready for the 36 hole Saturday. I ran 3 miles yesterday after I got back home from Georgia. I also took full swings in the apartment with a driver after I got done with the run. I also worked on the course with not trying to reach out for a few extra yards and I really tried to play within myself.

I have really started to work on my back swing and keeping it a bit slower to make sure that I don't go quite to parallel. I have a big natural shoulder turn that I am constantly fighting because it feels so natural to go past parallel, but that contorts my hips and my body has to adjust mid swing to allow myself to make good contact with the ball. When I am on video, I am always amazed that, what feels like a 3/4 swing is actually a full swing.

I have been working on a checklist as a part of my pre-shot routine so it will become something I just do without thinking about it.
*Practice swing directly behind the ball (3 seconds)
*lineup/visualize shot (3-5 seconds)
*setup over shot remembering to keep the belt buckle down and weight over the balls of my feet (1 second)
*waggle and get comfortable (2-4 seconds usually)
*nice tempo on takeaway and focus on keeping my hands even with my shoulders on the back swing to avoid going too far back

The longer the club, the more natural it is for me to go to parallel or just past. This has been my bane and will continue to be till I get it trained out of myself. It will happen, but I will have to keep an eye on it very closely.

wow Seth, lots of good work there! I am impressed

you are a short game mad man, you really struggling to find THAT putter? Or you just struggling to find that PERFECT putter?

I think its the latter. With the work I have been putting in with my short game, I have really put an emphasis on up and downs. I am converting them at a really high rate right now and because of that have some sort of fear that a change will alter that or make me start over. I am bringing out a few different shapes today to see if there is one that really clicks for me.

I think its the latter. With the work I have been putting in with my short game, I have really put an emphasis on up and downs. I am converting them at a really high rate right now and because of that have some sort of fear that a change will alter that or make me start over. I am bringing out a few different shapes today to see if there is one that really clicks for me.

wow, higher rate o fup and downs, I hear that. Keep up the good work and I will be interested to see what style works for you. I try to get a mental picture of what I think would be best for you and for some reason a heel shaft comes to mind. That or just the standard anser with a plumbers neck.

wow, higher rate o fup and downs, I hear that. Keep up the good work and I will be interested to see what style works for you. I try to get a mental picture of what I think would be best for you and for some reason a heel shaft comes to mind. That or just the standard anser with a plumbers neck.

THat is what is making this prep work so frustrating. I thought the exact same thing, but struggled with both models. Unfortunately for me, the SeeMore that I am using is quite unique and while it works well for me, finding something matching it is near impossible. So its back to the drawing board and hopefully I can put the time in with whatever I choose to get it straightened out.

THat is what is making this prep work so frustrating. I thought the exact same thing, but struggled with both models. Unfortunately for me, the SeeMore that I am using is quite unique and while it works well for me, finding something matching it is near impossible. So its back to the drawing board and hopefully I can put the time in with whatever I choose to get it straightened out.

could you get and answer style putter and just have a straight neck put in it?

Hope you guys can get your round in, JB and Howzat.

I was going through a bit of the same as JB, but a couple hours on the practice green this weekend solidified that I can release the toe of the slant-neck blade better than the mid-mallet. I just didn't push nearly as many putts and that's my miss. Hoping you can get it figured out soon, JB.

I'm calling to set up my first lesson of the winter today. Hoping to get the first one in yet this week.

could you get and answer style putter and just have a straight neck put in it?

Im not sure. Interesting thoughts.

Hope you guys can get your round in, JB and Howzat.

I was going through a bit of the same as JB, but a couple hours on the practice green this weekend solidified that I can release the toe of the slant-neck blade better than the mid-mallet. I just didn't push nearly as many putts and that's my miss. Hoping you can get it figured out soon, JB.

I'm calling to set up my first lesson of the winter today. Hoping to get the first one in yet this week.

If your pushing putts, try changing the ball position. may help

Im not sure. Interesting thoughts.

essentially, thats all the M2 is...right?

If your pushing putts, try changing the ball position. may help

essentially, thats all the M2 is...right?

In theory it sure is. Let me look into that. Thanks.

Probably did the most important thing I could do as far as preparation goes this weekend. Solidified the beginning of my lessons for the year. Going to work with the same instructor as last year so we will keep that continuity since we broke it all the way down to the grip in March. Got a series of 4 lessons set up, and 4 clinics that you can only get if you purchased the lesson series before Christmas, + 1/2 price lessons for the rest of the year. I can work on things on my own, but I love working with this guy because we really work through a plan, and I know it will help me more than anything I could figure out on my own. I can't wait for lesson #1 in this series. I will probably get it going right after the new year, but I may go before then because I am so ansty to really get started.

Lots of hard work going on! Nothing like the MC to get you motivated to be the best you can be by the summer. Yorkem, I really like your plan. I think you will see great results as I know you will practice what he teaches like crazy.

Seth - I know what you mean about thinking you are taking a 3/4 swing when in fact it is a full swing. I have the same problem.

I have a lot of catching up to do on the MC threads! Looks like it may take me a while.

Probably did the most important thing I could do as far as preparation goes this weekend. Solidified the beginning of my lessons for the year. Going to work with the same instructor as last year so we will keep that continuity since we broke it all the way down to the grip in March. Got a series of 4 lessons set up, and 4 clinics that you can only get if you purchased the lesson series before Christmas, + 1/2 price lessons for the rest of the year. I can work on things on my own, but I love working with this guy because we really work through a plan, and I know it will help me more than anything I could figure out on my own. I can't wait for lesson #1 in this series. I will probably get it going right after the new year, but I may go before then because I am so ansty to really get started.

Good luck buddy. I know what you mean by antsy to get started.

So I've been putting a ton of time in at the range and most of it has been on my short game. A lot of chips/pitches and a lot of putts. Played today in freezing cold weather so I was a little bundled. Long irons gave me fits but the rest of my game was solid. Personal best with 25 putts today and a lot of nice pitching and chipping. Shot an 80 and would have been a 79 if the damn dude I was playing with wouldn't have dropped the flag right as I was hitting my putt on 18. He was a 6 handicap and we played match play. I beat him 3 & 2. Felt really different today on the greens. I forgot how it felt to have confidence in your short game

Chunk that is good to hear! Sound like you making some good progress

Lots of good work going into peoples games, I freaking love reading through this thread. Today I am finally getting some prep in, my course has an 11am shotgun start and I'm all ready to go. Today's prep will consist of:

- Putting the mid mallet style putter back in the bag to confirm that it is the right style of putter for my game, and bringing along an anser style putter which has been good for me lately as well.
- Scoring! I've been hitting the ball the best I ever have with my full swing lately, but my short game has really been letting me down, therefore I haven't been scoring as well as I feel I have been playing. Today I will really be focusing on getting up and down from off the green, and not giving any strokes away with silly three putts.
- Wedge play. From 125 and in I havent' been getting close enough to the pin for my liking. I've been hitting the green everytime, but sometimes leaving myself 20-40 foot putts which in my mind is unacceptable with a wedge in my hand.

I guess really when it comes down to it, I will be concentrating on my short game. For the first time in a while I am going to put a Tour Caliber ball in my bag, just so that I can know that my short game work gets everything out of it that it can, as the Noodle long and softs that I have been playing with in the winter conditions are just garbage around the green.

Chunk that is good to hear! Sound like you making some good progress

Thanks Freddie. Felt great to putt so well. I went to a different type of putter and it just clicked. Greens were rock hard as well. So hard that you had to land the ball in front of the green if you wanted it to stay on. The match play was very exciting

Thanks Freddie. Felt great to putt so well. I went to a different type of putter and it just clicked. Greens were rock hard as well. So hard that you had to land the ball in front of the green if you wanted it to stay on. The match play was very exciting

What type of putter did you try?

I rolled the Bettinardi Half Moon Mallet that I have. I have been using the TM TR3 True Path training add with this putter and I seem to have grooved a nice stroke with it. This baby might be coming off the market

Great job Chunky! That has to feel good to hand that guy a loss like that. What putter did you put in play?

Edit: never mind on the putter as I got a phone call in the middle of typing this.

Played 18 with Howzat today. What a great guy and I want to thank him for coming out and playing with me. Awesome round with awesome company and what I saw today was that my short game work is continuing to make strides in my game and once I find the putter I am comfortable with, it will all come together.

Played 18 with Howzat today. What a great guy and I want to thank him for coming out and playing with me. Awesome round with awesome company and what I saw today was that my short game work is continuing to make strides in my game and once I find the putter I am comfortable with, it will all come together.

Face balanced Anser style? I wonder if they could do that for ya?

Got my first winter lesson scheduled for next Wednesday. Have to say that I'm a bit nervous. I've had lessons before, but I'm really going into this package a bit differently. I'm prepared to make some pretty big changes if that's what he recommends. I know I have the basics down, but I am looking to really move to the next level. I'll probably be complaining a bit at times, but I'm going to commit to it. Nervously excited!

Got my first winter lesson scheduled for next Wednesday. Have to say that I'm a bit nervous. I've had lessons before, but I'm really going into this package a bit differently. I'm prepared to make some pretty big changes if that's what he recommends. I know I have the basics down, but I am looking to really move to the next level. I'll probably be complaining a bit at times, but I'm going to commit to it. Nervously excited!
Looking forward to hearing how it goes Hawk, I'm sure that in a a very short time you will be able to take your game to the next level.

Well as for my round today, my work that I've been doing in my putting has really paid off. My speed was fantastic all day, and I was putting my ball on my intended line everytime. The only surprise for me was the putter that was best for my game, it was the anser style putter! My chipping and pitching was much much better today as well, and I think a lot of that comes down to the small amount of work I have been able to put into my short game lately, and playing with a urethane cover ball again. I thought that in these winter conditions it didn't matter what kind of ball I play, but it really does and I was shocked at how much better I was with the Tour i(s) that I was with the balls I was playing just as "winter" balls.

Glad to hear it, Breeze. Sounds like the work is paying off for you :)

Back