Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Great accomplishment JB. I start my transformation Monday.

TapAhoy!

That is a great accomplishment JB, good for you! I on the other hand am not yet ready to try, but when the day comes, I just want to get back down between 195 and 200 again. That's where I spent the majority of my adult life and want to get back there eventually.

Thats pretty cool JB, Keep it up and congrats so far.

One of my goals throughout the last 2 months and moving towards the Morgan Cup was to get my weight back to where it should be. Now I was never "overweight" mind you, but it was hard to believe that since I got married, I had put on 23 lbs to be at my heaviest level of my life. Im 5'11 and was weighing in at 195 lbs and my weight is more comfortable at 175 or even 170. I also feel better, have more energy, etc when I am lighter.

So a couple of months ago I started my diet. We are not strict, and don't go nuts, but in just 8 weeks, I am down below 180 already to 178.5 as of last weigh in this afternoon. Only a few more lbs to go and this has been eye-opening for me. I feel better, look better and overall just happier since this transition has begun to take shape.

By the MC I should be well below my original goal and have months to work on my game at my "right" weight.

Very impressive JB....I also decided to try to get into better shape this year...I have far more to lose than I care to admit just because I am embarrassed just to look at the scale these days.....I quit smoking exactly 1 month ago as of tomorrow and have lost 18 pounds during the same period. I am not doing any crazy diet, just trying to cut out the crazy stuff and eat a little better.

I plan to start an exercise plan next week and hope by the time we turn in our apparel order my size has a few less "X's" on it.

Went down to the basement tonight and worked on some putts. Worked on 8'-10'. Then some 3'-5' up a little 4" hill with a break. With the birdie ball I got. They sent two extra squares with cup holes in them. Put them together. and a little hill with a break. Was down there about an hour and a half. So, if I keep doing this all winter my putting in general should be a lot better.

I hit rock bottom today on the course, actually I may have been below that. There has never been a day like this since I started back playing in 09. Recently via the program at golftec we had gotten the wheels headed in the proper direction. Well today made me realize two things; 1, I wasn't committed enough and 2, I've got it in me if I can get out of my on way and let it happen.

I'm not changing my swing, I like the fundamentals of what we were doing. What I am going to do is change my self by recommitting to what I started. I had gotten slack in practice, usually only practicing before or after I play. That ended today.

hahahaha...how many takes did it take?

technically 3 i guess...
the first take was good, but i only putted 1 ball.
2nd i messed up.
then the final cut was good to go.

Just hot back from the course....some short game work and then played 18 holes...new stronger grip and flatter swing still feels weird.......but when it clicks, it's great....tied my personal best today with 5 birdies...and I almost holed out for eagle from 140 yards!

I had a couple of really ugly triples and a quad too.......good thing we are playing match play :D

I actually think this could be the most important thing you are doing. Your game is already solid, but a person can never be physically fit enough. Congrats on the progress bro!

That 36 hole competitive day is brutal.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

As is the Myrtle Beach heat in July, you are right Seth, physical fitness is important on a 36 hole day.

Just hot back from the course....some short game work and then played 18 holes...new stronger grip and flatter swing still feels weird.......but when it clicks, it's great....tied my personal best today with 5 birdies...and I almost holed out for eagle from 140 yards!

I had a couple of really ugly triples and a quad too.......good thing we are playing match play :D

Nice work Tim! You'll be a great scramble partner if we can count on you for 5 birdies!

I was looking forward to today all week because it is mid-40s here so I thought I could get out and play another round. However, every single day this week we have had snow or rain all day long, so the ground is so wet you just sink in it. Definitely not a good day for golfing, so I am going to just work on some chipping in my basement. Looks like by next weekend we are supposed to have a couple days around 40 again so I should get back out there then...

Nice work Tim! You'll be a great scramble partner if we can count on you for 5 birdies!

Thanks Ary! Just need to eliminate the big ugly numbers....its a work in progress...the real work will start when I get the new clubs and try to start dialing them in.

Oh did I mention that it was 71 degrees and I played in shorts on New Year's Eve...gotta love South East Texas!

I took to the course today and I have found that my iron game is coming back to me. I am keeping very conscious of my right knee and making sure it stays bent throughout my swing. I hit the ball better than I have in a long time with my irons.

My short game was decent as well. My putting sucked hard core, but that was from pure lack of practice because I have been so focused on my swing.

The driver that I am using is a tour driver that I found locally and it wants to work the ball while I just try to hit it straight. I absolutely cannot swing away as it will go bounding off into the trees. I am not used to playing with less than a 460 cc driver. I think I will really enjoy the 445 cc head and I am learning how to swing it. I managed to hit a few fairways. I am very excited because I think that the J40 will just be a phenomenal driver for me.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I hit rock bottom today on the course, actually I may have been below that. There has never been a day like this since I started back playing in 09. Recently via the program at golftec we had gotten the wheels headed in the proper direction. Well today made me realize two things; 1, I wasn't committed enough and 2, I've got it in me if I can get out of my on way and let it happen.

I'm not changing my swing, I like the fundamentals of what we were doing. What I am going to do is change my self by recommitting to what I started. I had gotten slack in practice, usually only practicing before or after I play. That ended today.

I've been told I'm the same way SW. Can't get out of my own way! it takes time and patience to learn this game and it will drive you nuts at times. I went through what you are going through last winter and my game was miserable. Keep a positive attitude and be patient. You will be fine!!!

It was windy today, wet, and cold, but I was playing golf so that was awesome. I shot an 83 that felt like it should have been a 77, 78 based on the way I was hitting the ball. I had:

10/14 fairways
6/18 GIR
2 birds
34 putts

The GIR is not near high enough, but today when I missed the green I was just off, and spent basically the whole day chipping on and then two putting. My driving and ball striking was very good today, I was just hitting a little bit of a push with my irons for a while, but flushing them.
I did all my chipping today using the JB/Andy method of chipping and its great and I was hitting every chip right in the center of the club face, I just had trouble getting used to the new distances I was hitting the chips.

All in all it was a great day of prep for the MC. Oh and I was also playing a 8HC golfer in some match play golf straight up, and I beat him 3 and 2. BAM!

It was actually 50 degrees here around Boston today! Naturally, I had to go out to the range, because the normal courses that I play around here are already closed for the winter. I hit 3 buckets of balls, mainly using my wedges as well as 8-iron and 6-iron. Today, I worked to slightly weakening my grip as well as taking the club back more upright, as 2 of the faults that I was noticing early in the session was having too strong of a grip and taking the club back too flat, both of which make my draw turn into a hook. The wind was about 5-10 mph into me, so I was losing about 2 clubs worth of distance on the range, I had to remember not to try to swing too hard and just allow for the distance losses, my tempo was much better after I adjusted to that.

Our practice green was also open, which was a nice surprise. The green was very bumpy and slow, probably about 7-8 on the Stimp, so the feedback from putting wasn't all that great; I'll stick to my green in my apartment to practice putting now. However, I did use a few different wedges to work on my chipping, and was focusing on the technique that JB has talked about in his short game thread. I was getting some good results with crisp contact and the ball holding its line well on the chips. I'll have to work more on that in the future.

Well at least you got some swings in Ary. Wish I had some of that heat, I am under and Winter Storm warning from now til Tuesday morning with 8-14 inches of snow expected, and then by Friday we are back up to 50 degrees. Its gonna make for some WET conditions if I play Friday.

Well at least you got some swings in Ary. Wish I had some of that heat, I am under and Winter Storm warning from now til Tuesday morning with 8-14 inches of snow expected, and then by Friday we are back up to 50 degrees. Its gonna make for some WET conditions if I play Friday.

We're getting that cold weather later this week. I've got 4 vouchers for an indoor place with a simulator, I'm going to try to use one of those on Wednesday this week.

Ary, there are still a lot of golf course open: the Cape, Olde Scotland Links, Atlantic, etc., if you are so inclined to drive. :)

I've been told I'm the same way SW. Can't get out of my own way! it takes time and patience to learn this game and it will drive you nuts at times. I went through what you are going through last winter and my game was miserable. Keep a positive attitude and be patient. You will be fine!!!

Thanks KB! I talked one of my old instructors about it and he was telling me to take it as a positive that I was frustrated. He thinks it will help drive me that much more, small steps will get me where I need to be by July. I'm going to start going back to basics today with some drills that don't require a club, fundamental kind of stuff.

Good work CB and Ary!

Ary I have never played on a simulator yet, will definitely be trying it this winter...

About an hour of wedge work today, then 30 minutes on the putting green and 18 holes after that. With the stronger grip and flatter swing I hit 11/13 fairways today, but struggled with GIR...most of the time I was just off the green by a couple of yards, but it's still something that needs work.

No birdies today, but I did have a nice run of 8 straight pars.....they were bookended with doubles...but that's another story.

Well, the rain has finally gone...the next several days are supposed to be really nice and I am on vacation, so I will be living at the course.,..lots of range time and probably 36 holes each day.....Thursday afternoon I have an appointment with an instructor for my first lesson...my GF gave me 5 one hour sessions with this guy for Christmas, his name is Matt Swanson....he is supposed to be one of Golf Digest 10 best teachers under 40....so we will see what he has to say. Lots of work to do this week!

I have taken several lessons with Matt the problem is i never stick with it. I actually have two lessons left on my last package that i will be using ASAP as my iron play is swirling around the toilet bowl.

I have taken several lessons with Matt the problem is i never stick with it. I actually have two lessons left on my last package that i will be using ASAP as my iron play is swirling around the toilet bowl.

I like what he did with me, I am looking forward to getting more in depth on my swing and also work on my short game with him.

Got back from Florida early this morning and now it is time to get into a routine for winter prep. Eating a little healthier and adopting a golf specific workout will be the top priority as a want to drop about 20 lbs. before the snow melts. I will spend the next few days rolling as many putts as possible before my Bettinardi fitting which should occur in the next few weeks.

Back