Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

In my short game, I have been working on generating more spin. I have always been a high spin player, but my rusty short game has killed my spin. I was not hitting down on the ball enough, but I am doing better about that now and I am generating a lot more spin than I was last week.

I just went over to my course today to pay my membership dues and since it was so nice out (50 degrees with 10 mph wind) I went out and practiced a bit on our 1st and 9th holes since they go out and come back so nicely it's easy to play those 2 holes a couple times real quick.

The first time through I mainly practiced, hitting 4 balls or so. Then spent a bunch of time chipping and putting. Then I played the same 2 holes normally.

I hit the ball really well, far better than I did the other day. Especially the driver, just really getting back to the trajectory and baby fade that I love to play. Chipping and pitching was good too, I just simply don't get enough practice doing that and really need to do this 1&9 loop multiple times a week over lunch hour. Putting was hard because the greens haven't been mowed yet, all the sand is pretty much gone now so once they get the mowers out we'll be in good shape.

On my 2nd trip through as I said I played just 1 ball and striped a drive right down the middle on 1, into the hurting wind I still had 190 (430 yd hole) in and had to stripe a hybrid to get on the green. I smoked the hybo and wound up on the front of the green. 2 putt par. On #9 the wind was off the left and helping just a bit. I hit a solid drive, hole is 360 and I had 100 yards in. Gap wedge on the green 2 putt par. I would have hoped to be closer to the hole having only a little gap wedge in but I'm not too broken hearted about it. I love how I'm hitting the ball right now.

Wednesday night we've got a bunch of men's club members getting together for a cash skins and low net/low gross round so that should be some good prep work, nothing like playing for cash right Breezy?

That's a nice little practice set-up, Jake.

I just went over to my course today to pay my membership dues and since it was so nice out (50 degrees with 10 mph wind) I went out and practiced a bit on our 1st and 9th holes since they go out and come back so nicely it's easy to play those 2 holes a couple times real quick.

The first time through I mainly practiced, hitting 4 balls or so. Then spent a bunch of time chipping and putting. Then I played the same 2 holes normally.

I hit the ball really well, far better than I did the other day. Especially the driver, just really getting back to the trajectory and baby fade that I love to play. Chipping and pitching was good too, I just simply don't get enough practice doing that and really need to do this 1&9 loop multiple times a week over lunch hour. Putting was hard because the greens haven't been mowed yet, all the sand is pretty much gone now so once they get the mowers out we'll be in good shape.

On my 2nd trip through as I said I played just 1 ball and striped a drive right down the middle on 1, into the hurting wind I still had 190 (430 yd hole) in and had to stripe a hybrid to get on the green. I smoked the hybo and wound up on the front of the green. 2 putt par. On #9 the wind was off the left and helping just a bit. I hit a solid drive, hole is 360 and I had 100 yards in. Gap wedge on the green 2 putt par. I would have hoped to be closer to the hole having only a little gap wedge in but I'm not too broken hearted about it. I love how I'm hitting the ball right now.

Wednesday night we've got a bunch of men's club members getting together for a cash skins and low net/low gross round so that should be some good prep work, nothing like playing for cash right Breezy?

Dude, that 1 & 9 combo sounds awesome for something quick to do with just a couple of balls. Good luck in the cash game broham.

I am jealous putting4pennies! I love playing for cash!

That's a nice little practice set-up, Jake.
It really is nice, I find myself opting for this rather than cranking ball after ball on the driving range once in a while.

Dude, that 1 & 9 combo sounds awesome for something quick to do with just a couple of balls. Good luck in the cash game broham.
Thanks buddy, I'd love to pull down some play cash Wednesday night!

I am jealous putting4pennies! I love playing for cash!
No pennies in play bro. We're high rollers here. Ha!!

We'll do $20 bucks or so and then within each foursome we'll have side games at a quarter a point. The secondary game won't amount to much but they're fun too.

No pennies in play bro. We're high rollers here. Ha!!

We'll do $20 bucks or so and then within each foursome we'll have side games at a quarter a point. The secondary game won't amount to much but they're fun too.

Anything to put the pressure on is a good thing. If you win, you could buy your little girls a coke or something haha.

Nice Jake!!! I need to see if I can work something out with my course to practice the first two holes!

Nice Jake!!! I need to see if I can work something out with my course to practice the first two holes!
We have a few options to go play a couple holes for the sake of practice, of course it all depends on if it's busy or not. On the back 9 we can go play 10, 11, 15 and 18 which is a decent variety of holes and shots you have to hit.

Nice practice session Jake.
Thanks buddy, nice work right back at you for the 3 rounds last week. That's awesome.

It was close to 70 degrees today, which is ridiculously nice for this time of year! I didn't have time to play 18, but went to the range and cranked out 3 buckets of balls. I spent about half of the time doing the 9-to-3 drill with a headcover under my left armpit, trying to get the feeling of my swing being more controlled with my body than with my arms. It was really nice because it was a little downwind as well, and I was hitting a lot of nice wedge shots. I also hit a number of shots with my 8-iron at the 155 yard flag, and then hit some drivers too.

Hopefully the weather stays really nice up here, a lot of courses should be opening up in the next week or two!

It was close to 70 degrees today, which is ridiculously nice for this time of year! I didn't have time to play 18, but went to the range and cranked out 3 buckets of balls. I spent about half of the time doing the 9-to-3 drill with a headcover under my left armpit, trying to get the feeling of my swing being more controlled with my body than with my arms. It was really nice because it was a little downwind as well, and I was hitting a lot of nice wedge shots. I also hit a number of shots with my 8-iron at the 155 yard flag, and then hit some drivers too.

Hopefully the weather stays really nice up here, a lot of courses should be opening up in the next week or two!

Thats awesome weather, I like the 9 to 3 drill. I need to practice it a bit more.

My prep consisted of the usual, office putting. I need to get this Betti honed in. I am getting there. Looking to golf on wednesday.

My prep consisted of the usual, office putting. I need to get this Betti honed in. I am getting there. Looking to golf on wednesday.
That's cool buddy, if there's one thing you need more than anything it is help on that putter so I'm glad you're getting it. Really putting the way you typically do is just basically unacceptable for anyone who's ever swung a club before. I'm excited that you're able to get to work on that part of your game because man dude, it's really bad. Keep up the great work and let us know how your round goes on Wednesday, it can't possibly go as good as your last round, but dude that's ok. There's nothing wrong with chopping the ball around the course like you will almost surely do, hey at least you're out there trying huh? Keep it up bro!

Went and got an iron shaft fitting last night, which yielded some really good results. They didn't have any Cleveland's for me to hit, as I live in a Cleveland deprived area apparently, but I was more interested in the shafts for now. Funny enough, the stock head they had was actually a Callaway Diablo which he said would be pretty close to the CG16's and I was hitting it pretty damn good! I warmed up with my TM Tour Burner 6-iron, which I'm hitting really well right now; a nice high, consistent fade. After going thru 4 more shafts, the Rifle 5.5 came out on top with big improvements in distance, grouping, ball/club speed, and spin. This is an amazing experience, as I've never been fitted for clubs/shafts before and it's crazy how much of a difference/improvement it can make. Very excited!

Here are the shaft results:

6833299520_6327891fae_b.jpg

I would've went with the s300. Sacrificing 1 yard for that much extra spin would be crucial for stopping balls on greens. I'm surprised that they let you go with the rifle after those numbers. Low ball spin is only great for the driver and woods and long Irons. Spin helps consistency.

Enjoy your new sticks!

Nice stuff Tnolan. Man look at the difference between the Rifle 5.5 and the KBS Tour for you.

I would've went with the s300. Sacrificing 1 yard for that much extra spin would be crucial for stopping balls on greens. I'm surprised that they let you go with the rifle after those numbers. Low ball spin is only great for the driver and woods and long Irons. Spin helps consistency.

Enjoy your new sticks!

Well nothing is official yet...this was a prelim for when we get the green-light for our Cleveland iron order.
Cuz, really there was nothing wrong with the DG S300...but i was ballooning them, hitting them a good 16-18 feet higher than all the rest, even though i didn't lose much distance. i like a nice high ball flight, so i can make a 6-iron sit down when i need to, but that just seemed too high. i dunno...we'll see.
so i wasn't really worried about the distance and i think i can gain some spin back by putting the correct Srixon ball in play.

but nothing is set in stone...

Well nothing is official yet...this was a prelim for when we get the green-light for our Cleveland iron order.
Cuz, really there was nothing wrong with the DG S300...but i was ballooning them, hitting them a good 16-18 feet higher than all the rest.
And i like a nice high ball flight, so i can make a 6-iron sit down when i need to, so i wasn't really worried about the distance and i think i can gain some spin back by putting the correct Srixon ball in play.

Makes sense!! Good luck.

Enjoy your new sticks!

Couldn't more spin result in hooking/slicing the ball? Not being facetious just looking for knowledge.

Tnolan - the good thing is it looks like you have some options that will work well for you if one or the other is not available.

It could. But looking at the sidespin numbers and yards offline from the data provided it wasn't really an issue at all.

yeah, both the Rifle and DG's had a pretty tight grouping out of the 5 or so balls i hit for each...

Tnolan - the good thing is it looks like you have some options that will work well for you if one or the other is not available.

definitely a good point Dean!
and like i mentioned, having never done this before it was truly an eye opening experience.
i've gotten to where i am now off self-teaching, golf magazine, and stock everything!
i think that it's time now to spend a little bit of time and money to not only get ready for the MC2.0, but improve my game overall.

Back