Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Went out to play 18 today but stopped at 9 because it was so bad. It has been rough this past week, but after my round I went out to the range and hod my brother take some video of my swing on the V1 golf app on my phone, and I realized that my swing is too steep right now. It is causing me to come over the top, especially on my driver which is costing me the most strokes right now. I am slicing the crap out of the ball. So tomorrow I will be going out to work on swinging more across my body on the backswing. I am still making good contact with the ball, but can't seem to hit the long irons straight. On a plus note my putting was FANTASTIC! I am really excited about how my putting is going. Not only am I leaving the long putts very close to the hole, I am sinking many more putts within 15 feet. That alone will help knock some strokes off once I get the swing plane back down. I talked to the pro at my course as I was leaving as well and I am going to start working with him a little bit to make sure I don't everthink things and just keep it simple. I am looking forward to working with him.

On a side note, I hit some GREAT shots with my new Callaway Diablo Forged irons tonight, and the extra distance is really giving me confidence. They feel great and I can definitely tell the shaft is better for me than the DG S300 shaft. My fitter did a great job with my fitting.
self analysis is key to becoming a better player, good for you!

Good stuff Bradd. I really want a set of DFs

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I don't want to get this thread off topic, but they are BEASTS! I love them. Love the feel, love the look, love the performance. Callaway is completely sold out, so grab some while you can! Golfsmith.com has some 3-PW sets on sale, and Ebay has a few good deals. I am really excited about being able to use these now though even though I will have to choose something else for the MC. I can at least use the shaft I will be using for the MC, so there won't be as much adjustment with whatever set I go with for the MC.

Great stuff brad. I will be prepping tomorrow with 18 holes of golf.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Meet up with ThreeBoysDad today at a course on the southeast side of Houston...we played 18 holes and it took like 5 1/2 hours....the people 2 groups in front of us were holding everybody back!!...but that's beside the point.

I had never met ThreeBoysDad, but he is a great guy....we played with his son and Father in Law and had a great time.....None of us played very well...it was hard to get in a groove when you hit a ball....waiting 10 minutes, hit another ball...then waited on the tee box for 15 minutes....it sucked.

I hit some really good shots, and some really ugly shots....had a horrible day putting....the greens were very inconsistant....one was fast, next one was slow as hell.

Needless to say I wasnt burning up the world today....we did play match play and 1 won the last 2 holes and we halved the match..LOL

Had a great time playing with him and hope we can tee it up again sometime!

Sounds like a brutal round TBT. Least the company was good!

Nice updates Bradd and Tim. Bradd I feel your pain man, my driver swing is in shambles right now but the opposite way, I'm pulling the bad badly right now. My tee shot on #10 was a dead pull bullet that I swore was going to go thru the condo it hit. Sounded like a shotgun going off when it hit the siding, so embarrassing! I'm in need of a lesson asap.

Not sure what I am doing but the results are inconsistent at best and for someone who likes to play center-right, a pull is bad news.

Spent 1.5 hours before the round practicing with the 588 wedges and Never Compromise putter, I will update those threads in the morning.

--
tapatalk

Sounds like a brutal round TBT. Least the company was good!

It was pretty bad....bad enough that on like the 13th hole the group right in front of us, just gave up and quit....they coulddn't take it anymore.

The course was in really good shape except for the fact that the greens were incredibly inconsistant.....one really slow, the next lightning fast!

I spent a couple hours practicing today. About an hour yesterday and a couple hours Friday. Swing feels really good. I still miss some shots, but I'm making solid contact and I wasn't doing that before. Only hit balls for about 20 minutes today and spent the rest of the time on the practice green and short game area.

The greens at my new course are ripping me to shreds right now. They're hard to read and I've seen more balls roll off them on missed putts than I've ever seen before. Lots of them are either multi-tiered or really sloped in spots. To avoid overshooting the hole I resorted to just laying up and that's no way to putt. So, with that in mind, I figured I needed to learn how to putt on them and started that work today.

Finally started feeling pretty good after 45 minutes or so. I was doing a little work on the stroke, mainly releasing, but mostly just standing in a spot and teaching myself where to aim on the wacky slope of the green. Hoping that the practice will help me learn to read the greens a little better. One thing I learned is that I have to choose my line/speed carefully, but I can't be scared to actually take the putt. If I'm worried about losing the ball down a hill, I just end up taking the same putt from 8 feet closer and that's not any good.

Nice thoughts and write ups guys. The weather here has been really iffy the past 4 or 5 days being very cold and rainy. This week it is supposed to warm up and be nice. I will be getting out to the putting green at least this week to work on chipping and putting.

Went out and played Ottawa Park. Only played it once before about 4 years ago. So I didn't remember the course at all. I had a decent 45 on the front. Started out with 2 doubles. But hole 7 and on were pretty good. With one bad one in the mix. Shot 41 on the back. Then I got home. Checked on the sick dog. He seemed to be doing fine. So I went out to my home course and walked another 9 holes. Shot a 42 with 15 putts.

Putting is coming around slowly! My driver is pretty good right now. My irons are off just a hair. More range time needed with them. Chipping has been decent, left a bunch short. My fairway woods I am absolutely crushing right now!! I'm happy how I'm coming along. Can't wait till weds to get out and play again. But Mon and Tues I will be hitting the range and putting green weather permitting, on my lunch break. I really don't want to look like a fool come July!

This weekend was spent at the range. As I have said earlier I have been struggling lately with contact. My first lesson changed 3 things. He had me bend completely at the waist instead of the legs and he tried getting me more laid off at the top and he had me stand a lot further away from the ball. This weekend was my 2nd lesson. Sorry for the long post. Read if you want.

Bending more at the waist was no problem. I took about 2 swings and had that set no problem. I also take my time at the range and make sure that I am bending properly. He took one look at my posture and loved it.

Laying off at the top was a big issue. I have always come OTT and changing this has been very hard. My thought was holding the tray like a waiter. The problem I soon developed was that I rolled my wrists to get laid off. I soon started hitting weak high fades all the time. This was because when I rolled the wrists I was opening the club face and in slow mo you could see how open the club face was coming into the ball. I was really lucky to not shank every shot.

He took 1 look at me and immediately saw what I was doing wrong. He got me more into a shut face going back. Then he showed me what I was doing wrong with my holding the tray thought. I had my right wrist pointing toward the target which is very open. He turned my wrist to point away from the target at the top. This had me laid off and in a much easier position to come down and hit the ball. Now as I am at the top my only thought is to try and slap the ball with my right hand. What a difference. I immediately started hitting powerful draws.

Standing further from the ball is an attempt to cure a bit of a short left arm in my follow through. The further I stand the more my arms need to extend. If done properly I should get more power. I have struggled with this change. Every shot has been out on the toe. The 9 to 3 drill is a great drill to try and get the arms extended.

I hit 2 small buckets on Saturday after my lesson all doing the 9 to 3. I was very up and down but really felt like I was swinging like I needed to which is more closed going back and arms more extended going through. I left feeling pretty good.

Today was an absolute game change. Something just clicked. I didn't hit every shot great but the shots I did hit well were just bullets. Started with my wedges and felt good. Moved to the 7I and just started hitting the ball really well. Moved to the 5I and was crushing it. Consistent Lehman type draws each and every shot. Finished with hitting my PW at the 100 yard sign. Really just felt completely different than any range session that I have ever had.

I haven't seen a Lehman type draw since 1992. Sweet reference chunky.

Great update Chunky, really glad to read that your game is coming along and starting to be where you want it to be.

He was always one of my favorites

Nice Capt. Chunk! It's nice when you come to a realization about something. Keep up the good work. I know you are going to lead us to VICTORY in MB come July.

Is your progress translating on the course?

To be honest I have not been able to play lately. I am sure though that it will take me a bit of time to get what I see on the range over to the course

Well I played 18 today and played fine, but before my round when I was warming up the head pro was just finishing up with a fitting and the full cart was out on the range. We are not a Callaway club or any of the other MC sponsors, but I did spend about 15 minutes hitting a 10.5* driver head with all the different shaft options that I knew were about what I have been fitted too before. There was a clear winner and a clear second place in my mind.

2nd place was the shaft I'm gaming now, the Project X 5.5 I love the shaft and the numbers I get from it, but the winner was:

GD Tour AD DI-6 in stiff

I've never hit that shaft before, but it had a slightly higher ball flight for me than the PX and was definatly a little longer.

That is a shaft I am very interested in CB

That is a shaft I am very interested in CB

I'd never hit it before CL, but I knew it was similar enough in specs to the PX 5.5 that i love that it was worth hitting and I"m glad that I did. Feels great and the ball flight was just awesome. I haven't ever really hit GD shafts and haven't put too much thought into their products, but colour me impressed.

I'd never hit it before CL, but I knew it was similar enough in specs to the PX 5.5 that i love that it was worth hitting and I"m glad that I did. Feels great and the ball flight was just awesome. I haven't ever really hit GD shafts and haven't put too much thought into their products, but colour me impressed.

I really hope its an option dude

I have a lesson tonight. This is the first time in a while I've felt like I wasn't really desperate for him to get me back on track. I'd been waiting to finally see some good results with my swing when it counted, and it finally happened. I think I might work on scoring shots or putting with him. I feel like I can get the ball to or around the green, but when it comes time to actually get the ball in the hole, I suck.

I have a lesson tonight. This is the first time in a while I've felt like I wasn't really desperate for him to get me back on track. I'd been waiting to finally see some good results with my swing when it counted, and it finally happened. I think I might work on scoring shots or putting with him. I feel like I can get the ball to or around the green, but when it comes time to actually get the ball in the hole, I suck.

Me too buddy. I'm ice cold when it comes to scoring lately. I give myself some sweet chances too. Maybe I need one of those jumbo putter grips.

Me too buddy. I'm ice cold when it comes to scoring lately. I give myself some sweet chances too. Maybe I need one of those jumbo putter grips.

That's very ironic b/c I was checking them out on eBay Saturday night. I told myself I'd go practice and if things were still bad I'd revisit the giant grip. Practice went well, so I figure it's just me. I freeze up on the greens and it's frustrating. I don't finish my stroke and I worry too much about missing to make anything.

That's very ironic b/c I was checking them out on eBay Saturday night. I told myself I'd go practice and if things were still bad I'd revisit the giant grip. Practice went well, so I figure it's just me. I freeze up on the greens and it's frustrating. I don't finish my stroke and I worry too much about missing to make anything.

I know the feeling. I think we all go through that when we start getting realistic birdie attempts. I'm playing to "preserve" score and not TO score. I subconciously tell myself that tap in pars rock instead of really pushing for those birdies. Its so annoying.

Back