Most Controversial Topic In Golf Equipment?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What is it and why?

Blades vs Cavity?
Cast vs Forged?
Release schedules?
Ball Compression?
Brand loyalty?
DOA Products?

Something totally different? What is the most controversial topic and why?

SLDR vs SLDR C

Lofts

Most Controversial Topic In Golf Equipment?

Haha SLDR C.

Add a vote for release cycles

Grooves - Do they cause spin or not

I was going to say Cast vs Forged and butter.

but I think maybe its ball compression. Seems to be all the new rage.

The top 3 on your list seem to be the big hot button topics, but the one people seem to get the most fired up about is release schedules.

2 that stand out to me are:
Cast vs Forged
Release Cycles

I say the most controversial is the Release Schedules, for the simple fact that it generates more consternation on message boards, call-in programs, etc... than just about any other topic... well maybe outside of antiquated rules that don't make sense in today's game

Release schedules

i'd say lofts, particularly on irons. there's a contingent of people who love to chastise oem's for "jacking up lofts" for artificial distance, and deride the state of modern equipment because of this.

the others definitely elicit strong opinions, too.

Loft.

Its the most controversial, and where IMO the most misinformation is perpetuated.

Whichever one the trolls jump on for that particular day and can get a rise out of others from. I don't think any of the topics listed are really "controversial" by nature, it's the closed-minded and often misinformed "thoughts" that are the controversy.

Would like to say it is the ball compression because I know a lot of people thing the ball is too hot, but I have to go with the release schedule. Aren't they making the pro's go to new tournaments this year?

I think individuals who provide opinion as fact and don't ask for or discount expert opinions provide most of the controversy on all these topics. One of the best parts of THP is getting the info straight from the source.

I think blades vs. cavity and cast vs. forged are the two big ones.

I think individuals who provide opinion as fact and don't ask for or discount expert opinions provide most of the controversy on all these topics. One of the best parts of THP is getting the info straight from the source.

This is a great answer.

I would go along with release schedules. People seem to get worked up over that topic. I like trying new toys even when I'm not buying. So, I love seeing the OEMs bring it.

Release cycles, iron lofts, and game improvement irons vs players irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably release cycles. I am getting either the GBB or M1 in a couple weeks and i know that a month later Callaway and TM will come out with something new.

Release schedules.
Lofts, particularly on irons.
Misinformed people.

In that order.

Iron covers.

Shafts- Profiles and flexes.

I see it more at other places than here.

Someone recommending an an exact shaft, without seeing the other person swing, any numbers, or other information.

Jack

I think the constants are blades v cavity back and cast v forged

The most controversial IMO seems to be

Modern lofts
Golf ball compression
Grooves create spin
Release cycles

Release cycles seem to generate the most debate. Not sure why options are a bad thing but seems to be a sticking point for some people

Back