Most forgiving Driver for a high handicapper?

Baseball2828

Reaction score
Handicap
alot
Like the title says, looking something in the last 5 years. Thanks for the help

I believe there are several really good choices. I am playing the Ping G410 Plus. The other 2 I’d suggest looking at is the Cobra and Mavrik Max.

I believe there are several really good choices. I am playing the Ping G410 Plus. The other 2 I’d suggest looking at is the Cobra and Mavrik Max.

I couldn't agree more

Like the title says, looking something in the last 5 years. Thanks for the help

A 5-wood.
Seriously,for most any player who shoots 90 or higher a 44" to 46" shafted club with relatively low loft will do more harm than good. A 22" loft 5-wood or hybrid is a much better choice for the par 4 and par 5 tee box shots.

If you have a tendency to fade the ball like a lot of us a Cobra offset would be a good choice. With the right shaft.

Callaway mavrik max

ping g400 max

bridgestone jgr

xxio prime

A 5-wood.
Seriously,for most any player who shoots 90 or higher a 44" to 46" shafted club with relatively low loft will do more harm than good. A 22" loft 5-wood or hybrid is a much better choice for the par 4 and par 5 tee box shots.
I might have agreed with this back in the 90s, but not anymore. My driver is as easy to hit fairways with as any fairway wood or hybrid (maybe even easier), as were the last few I've had in the bag. So many good choices out there I couldn't recommend any one in particular, but I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions.

as a card carrying member of the high cap club, I think the m2 is good bang for the buck...along with the F9...

I need to bookmark this thread. My iron shots are pretty solid; but i can't hit woods for **** unless i'm at the driving range. Out on the course for a one-off shot, always a hook or a slice......yuck.

For me its between Ping G400 and Mavrik Max

No driver will ever fix a bad swing flaw. But sometimes a higher spinning driver can help side to side dispersion. Ones with offset can help mitigate a slice.

In the last 5 years I’d go:

For slice correction:
Cobra F-Max, F-Max Superlight, F-Max Airspeed
(Offset models)
Ping G410 Sf Tec
Ping G400 Sf tec

For highest Moi:
Ping G400 Max
Ping G410
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion
Cobra Speedzone Xtreme
Callaway Mavrik Max
Tour Edge EXS220

Older Drivers known for ease of use:
Ping K15
Ping G
Ping G30

Not enough info here to really say... I have fit some very high handicap players into drivers such as the Mavrik sub zero. So really any driver on the market could be a great driver for a high handicap depending on swing and ball data.

There are obvious far ends of the spectrum such as super light drivers like the epic star line, TS1, or even the new Mizzy ST200x. Or you could be fit into very low spin heads like the Sub Zero's, or TM SIM heads.

It just all depends.... Any driver on the market "could" be a good driver for a high handicap player.

PXG 0811 XF Gen 2. $295 or $275 if you are/were MIL/First Responder.

Google search it and you will find one or more tests where it was the most forgiving driver.

If you don't want to spend a ton, the Ping G400 Max.

Just grip down on the driver to 44 inches, like I do when I want a more controlled drive. And I'd not make one more than 45 inches.

I can't vouch for the TE EXS 220, because I have not hit it outside but if you want a great value in new and forgiving, look there. Hit, demo.

No driver will ever fix a bad swing flaw.

The above statement is true. But players with a seriously flawed swing can often get reasonably straight shots in the air with a wedge, 8-iron, 6-iron, hybrid, maybe a 5-wood.
This is why beginners and, or, high handicap players often proclaim "I can hit my 7-iron great but my wood shots are terrible". The reality is that the high loft of a 7-iron, combined with its relatively short shaft, allows the flawed swing to still produce shots that get in the air and move on a relatively straight path towards the target.
For the students who want to get out on a golf course, I think competent instructors will recommend they play off the tee boxes whichever club with which they can consistently get shots in the air and relatively straight. For
all beginners this club is a wedge or other short iron. For high handicappers this may be a 6-iron, hybrid, or 5-wood.
Regardless of the marketing rhetoric and, or, technological advance claims put out by OEM's, the driver has the longest shaft in the bag and as such makes it the most challenging club to swing, square at impact.

The above statement is true. But players with a seriously flawed swing can often get reasonably straight shots in the air with a wedge, 8-iron, 6-iron, hybrid, maybe a 5-wood.
This is why beginners and, or, high handicap players often proclaim "I can hit my 7-iron great but my wood shots are terrible". The reality is that the high loft of a 7-iron, combined with its relatively short shaft, allows the flawed swing to still produce shots that get in the air and move on a relatively straight path towards the target.
For the students who want to get out on a golf course to play off the tee boxes whichever club they can consistently strike shots that get in the air and relatively straight. For most all beginners this club is a wedge or other short iron. For high handicappers this may be a 6-iron, hybrid, or 5-wood.
Regardless of the marketing rhetoric and, or, technological advance claims put out by OEM's, the driver has the longest shaft in the bag and as such makes it the most challenging club to swing, square at impact.

For a high capper, all clubs are challenges - but 43.5 inches, 12 deg of loft, and a more flexy shaft allow one not to swing too fast and get it down the faiirway with the help of a few good lessons.

Go get fit. Asking a vaguye question like "whats the most forgiving driver?" doesnt serve you well whatsoever and will just be opinion and conjecture. GO.....GET.......FIT.....

For a high capper, all clubs are challenges - but 43.5 inches, 12 deg of loft, and a more flexy shaft allow one not to swing too fast and get it down the faiirway with the help of a few good lessons.

I understand some players , in search of accuracy and, or, forgiveness, have modified drivers by reducing shaft length to below 44".
I think the result is usually a finished driver that produces shots the same distance as a stock 43" or 43.5" 3-wood, but is more challenging to hit consistently straight.
But to the topic at hand, if the player shopping for a driver is a beginner, one who usually shoots 90 or worse, one who struggles to consistently make good quality ball contact when swinging a 7-iron etc... about 39" to 42" is likely the longest shafted club the player should have within his/her bag. Anything longer shafted or lower lofted than that will likely result in crooked tee shots, lost balls, frustrating slow play etc..., and that's not good for anybody.
When a player can develop his/her swing to the point that he/she can strike 5-wood shots consistently solid and straight, that is the sensible time to introduce a longer shafted club, such as 3-wood or driver, to the bag.

I am surprised not to see more love for the Cobra F8/F9 in here. As a member of the high handicap club, I found the milled face helped forgiveness a bunch, especially on the toe. The SpeedZone is even ore forgiving and has the added bonus of eliminating your ability to cause the inevitable sky mark since the face wraps around the edge of the crown.

I'm a high cap, I play a Cobra F8 at 43.5". I can say it is the best driver I have owned for my game. I've had others, but this one just checks all the boxes.

Depending on the day, I am pretty straight and solid with it. I do not hit a ball very far, though.

No driver will ever fix a bad swing flaw. But sometimes a higher spinning driver can help side to side dispersion. Ones with offset can help mitigate a slice.

In the last 5 years I’d go:

For slice correction:
Cobra F-Max, F-Max Superlight, F-Max Airspeed
(Offset models)
Ping G410 Sf Tec
Ping G400 Sf tec

For highest Moi:
Ping G400 Max
Ping G410
Callaway Big Bertha Fusion
Cobra Speedzone Xtreme
Callaway Mavrik Max
Tour Edge EXS220

Older Drivers known for ease of use:
Ping K15
Ping G
Ping G30
Killer list Erock.

I understand some players , in search of accuracy and, or, forgiveness, have modified drivers by reducing shaft length to below 44".
I think the result is usually a finished driver that produces shots the same distance as a stock 43" or 43.5" 3-wood, but is more challenging to hit consistently straight.
But to the topic at hand, if the player shopping for a driver is a beginner, one who usually shoots 90 or worse, one who struggles to consistently make good quality ball contact when swinging a 7-iron etc... about 39" to 42" is likely the longest shafted club the player should have within his/her bag. Anything longer shafted or lower lofted than that will likely result in crooked tee shots, lost balls, frustrating slow play etc..., and that's not good for anybody.
When a player can develop his/her swing to the point that he/she can strike 5-wood shots consistently solid and straight, that is the sensible time to introduce a longer shafted club, such as 3-wood or driver, to the bag.

12.5-13 of loft with a higher spin shaft is usually a ticket to straighter drives with 43.5 length. More backspin typically equals straighter drives, as you know.

Last edited:
Back