Most ridiculous "pro recreation" you've seen on course?

mpeterson

Team THP for Life
Reaction score
Handicap
The discussion on Bryson's use of the compass got me thinking - what's the most ridiculous thing you've seen someone do on a golf course because a pro or pros do it? For me it had to be the guy I played behind that did the whole Camilo Villegas green reading thing.

Nothing specific comes to mind but in general, golfers taking their sweet ass time to hit shots. This is one reason why I hate tournament golf. 6 hour rounds are the standard because nearly everyone thinks they have to grind on every shot.

Ridiculous because the guy couldn't execute it worth a lick, but when Spieth started winning a few years back, a guy I play with went from an almost belly putter to a Newport style with a huge forward press before the stroke. He couldn't figure out why his ball kept bouncing and didn't get a good roll and he struggled with speed control. Still trying to this day but with a 2 ball putter.

I've played with, and behind, a high handicapper who repeats every pro move he can think of. I'm partially kidding. His current repertoire includes a lot of Justin Rose moves. This means the hip rotation drill before each iron shot, holding up his fingers for Aimpoint putting, and then walking off each putt to get the "feel" with his feet. He also holds the driver head and swings the club upside down to hear the swish before every tee shot. On the plus side, he's a nice guy.

Back in the day when everyone used to plum bob their putter. That was stupid.

Dress like them

Back in the day when everyone used to plum bob their putter. That was stupid.

I play with an older gent who still does this.

I play with an older gent who still does this.

My dad does, and I'm not sure he's ever been able to explicitly describe the benefits.

Dress like them
Maybe if it's John Daly with loudmouth apparel that's a bit ridiculous, but otherwise I see no issue whatsoever. Look good. Feel good. Play good.

Very high handicapper was playing ahead of us. He was a young teenager. He could not hit the ball worth a damn. Yet, he did everything the pros do. Multiple practice swings before each hit. Back off the ball, then practice again. On the greens, did the hands over the cap bill to block out the light to get a view of his putt. Even went so far as lied down in his belly on a couple of his putts to get a better view.

It was ridiculous and hysterical at the same time. I told my 14 year, that that was exactly what NOT to do. She couldn't believe how slow this kid was. And how badly he was playing based in his shenanigans.

After a theatrical display of taking the rangefinder out of a bulletproof case, scoping the flag (or whatever) after waiting for the green to clear, then duffing the ball out of bounds, repeatedly. Usually the rangefinder is permanently put away

I've played with a guy who would take FOREVER on the tee box. Tee up ball, practice swing, then walk back to get his line right which I'm fine with. It's the setting back up and standing there for 5-10 seconds that bugs me...every shot. Maybe not a lot of time at once but do that 75-80 shots adds up.

I've done a pro move too unfortunately on par 5 with a super long tee shot leaving me with a chance to hit the green in two (which is rare). I'll wait to clear the green and then duff it while others wait in the tee behind me. Embarrassing.

To throw a curve ball at this discussion, there might be a flip side such as, what do pros do that you should probably do better? Sometimes I think that's reading the greens.

I notice in scrambles we look at the putt, see which way we think it's going to break, and we try to make it. Guys might say it's a foot outside or don't give up the cup, etc. I'm not saying take all day trying to read a putt, but how many of us could put in a little more effort really trying to read the green and make the putt?

Multiple practice swings, long routines, plumb bobbing, the Camillo, and AimPoint...... mainly coming from people who don't know what end of a tee to put the ball on.

I've played with a guy who would take FOREVER on the tee box. Tee up ball, practice swing, then walk back to get his line right which I'm fine with. It's the setting back up and standing there for 5-10 seconds that bugs me...every shot. Maybe not a lot of time at once but do that 75-80 shots adds up.

I've done a pro move too unfortunately on par 5 with a super long tee shot leaving me with a chance to hit the green in two (which is rare). I'll wait to clear the green and then duff it while others wait in the tee behind me. Embarrassing.

That one is rough but I think you should wait. I agree it's a bummer when you know it's possible you can reach the green, people behind you are watching, the green clears and your 3 wood goes 30 yards. But, I still think there are multiple reasons to wait. For one, I'd rather be safe and not risk injuring someone or even rolling the ball up to them and them getting upset. Secondly, if you're uncomfortable hitting the ball, it may just not feel right. I'd rather wait and be comfortable hitting the ball.

I've played with, and behind, a high handicapper who repeats every pro move he can think of. I'm partially kidding. His current repertoire includes a lot of Justin Rose moves. This means the hip rotation drill before each iron shot, holding up his fingers for Aimpoint putting, and then walking off each putt to get the "feel" with his feet. He also holds the driver head and swings the club upside down to hear the swish before every tee shot. On the plus side, he's a nice guy.

hahaha there is zero chance I wouldn't say anything. All of that would break me.

Every mini driver that I ever see being played.

That one is rough but I think you should wait. I agree it's a bummer when you know it's possible you can reach the green, people behind you are watching, the green clears and your 3 wood goes 30 yards. But, I still think there are multiple reasons to wait. For one, I'd rather be safe and not risk injuring someone or even rolling the ball up to them and them getting upset. Secondly, if you're uncomfortable hitting the ball, it may just not feel right. I'd rather wait and be comfortable hitting the ball.

Agree with you there, I will add that my typical choice is to just lay up with a 6-7 iron then wedge into the green. In the past that has given me the best chance for par and a really good wedge gives me a birdie putt. But when I hit that monster drive center of the fairway it seems the "go for it" mentality comes to mind quickly since I don't get them that often.

As always I won't hit until it's safe to do so, and if it's taking them a lot longer than I thought to finish putting, I'll jut lay up.

About 5 years ago I played at Sheshan International Golf Club in Shanghai, its claim to fame is TW played there, I think it does the HSBC Champ now. Anyway, I played on a Sunday and it was packed. I would estimate 99% of the male Chinese golfers wore black pants and red shirts. It was pretty hysterical.

Can no one stop his madness???

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

People who circle the green.....for a 4 foot putt......in a casual round.

~Rock

People who circle the green.....for a 4 foot putt......in a casual round.

~Rock

Don't you judge me.

To throw a curve ball at this discussion, there might be a flip side such as, what do pros do that you should probably do better? Sometimes I think that's reading the greens.

I notice in scrambles we look at the putt, see which way we think it's going to break, and we try to make it. Guys might say it's a foot outside or don't give up the cup, etc. I'm not saying take all day trying to read a putt, but how many of us could put in a little more effort really trying to read the green and make the putt?

I agree on reading a green. I'll add two that apply in spades to me. One is knowing when to play away from the hole. Most of my really big numbers come when I know that I shouldn't try to get close to the hole and I end up short-sided with only a shot that I might pull off once in a hundred times to get the ball close. The other is committing to a shot. I'm an all-timer when it comes to "picking" a shot and then deciding to hit a different one as I'm taking the club back.

Ridiculous because the guy couldn't execute it worth a lick, but when Spieth started winning a few years back, a guy I play with went from an almost belly putter to a Newport style with a huge forward press before the stroke. He couldn't figure out why his ball kept bouncing and didn't get a good roll and he struggled with speed control. Still trying to this day but with a 2 ball putter.

I'm starting to get it figured out....wait till we play next time!

The best part is you know those people back on the tee were saying not so nice things about you. But no worries. I'm pretty sure many of us have engaged in that "pro move." I know I have.

Certainly not EVERY putt, but I'm guilty of this, especially on a course I've never played before. That said, I try to make it a point to be the guy who gets the flag stick, so then it doesn't seem like I'm "going pro."

~Rock

Back