I don't even currently play in a band and I have a pedal addiction...although not as bad as the above!!

I don't have that many pedals... for a drummer ;)

pedalboard.jpg

(not pictured: at least 10 other pedals in my closet)

I fixed the pedal addiction by buying a Headrush pedalboard. Plenty of amp simulators, IRs, and pedals.

Among my acquisitions of the past year or so...
1636752990192.png
1636753014583.png
1636753033861.png

I think I'll be done for awhile unless I see a Strat that really tickles my fancy.

I have a dumb question for my guitarists in here. Would a 5w amp head and 12"speaker stack be significantly louder than a 5w (8" speaker) combo amp?

I have a dumb question for my guitarists in here. Would a 5w amp head and 12"speaker stack be significantly louder than a 5w (8" speaker) combo amp?

I hate to say this, but it depends. I know that's not really an answer. The 12" speaker is going to give you more low end and that may be *perceived* as more volume since it's going to sound a lot more fuller. I've always found 8" speakers to sound harsh to my ears. Even my 10" in my Blackstar combo needs to have an EQ pedal in the loop to tame some higher frequencies out that I wouldn't really do with a 12" speaker.

I fixed the pedal addiction by buying a Headrush pedalboard. Plenty of amp simulators, IRs, and pedals.

Among my acquisitions of the past year or so...
View attachment 9043799
View attachment 9043801
View attachment 9043802

I think I'll be done for awhile unless I see a Strat that really tickles my fancy.
Is that Guild a Starfire IV? If so, I have that same guitar. Mine is from the late 90's I believe. Very narrow neck and a great sounding/playing guitar. Better suited for someone with more talent than me.

So glad I play bass. Couldn’t imagine tap dancing all night. If I ever showed up with a pedal board like that my band mates would be like….

I hate to say this, but it depends. I know that's not really an answer. The 12" speaker is going to give you more low end and that may be *perceived* as more volume since it's going to sound a lot more fuller. I've always found 8" speakers to sound harsh to my ears. Even my 10" in my Blackstar combo needs to have an EQ pedal in the loop to tame some higher frequencies out that I wouldn't really do with a 12" speaker.
Thanks, I appreciate any help on this. The fuller sound is what I'm hoping to achieve, because I feel the same as you when it comes to 8" speakers. I just don't want to end up increasing the overall volume to the point where I'm annoying my neighbors.

Thanks, I appreciate any help on this. The fuller sound is what I'm hoping to achieve, because I feel the same as you when it comes to 8" speakers. I just don't want to end up increasing the overall volume to the point where I'm annoying my neighbors.

Totally understand wanting a fuller sound. 5w can get LOUD. I recorded my Blackstar with the master volume around 3 and it was ok. But the next time I recorded around 6 and what a difference. Much better tone. And the whole house knew it 🤣

Is that Guild a Starfire IV? If so, I have that same guitar. Mine is from the late 90's I believe. Very narrow neck and a great sounding/playing guitar. Better suited for someone with more talent than me.
Yup. Love that thing. The neck is a little skinnier than the PRS I use as my main guitar, but still really comfortable. I love it for slide.

I'm eyeballing the Headrush MX5, and I have absolutely no reason to.

20211215_185711.jpg
This ended up working out really well. Paired the Supro with a 12" Celestion V-30 speaker in the PRS Tremonti cab.

time to resuscitate this thread. I'm currently noodling on a homebrew mutt short scale J bass, put together with the body from a Yamaha BBG4 body, DiMarzio pickups, and an Allen Eden neck with a 3 + 1 Music man style headstock. sounds good for my couch noodling and occasional basement jam at a buddy's.

He, my buddy, has been on an orgy of guitar purchases over the last couple of months, acquiring a Slash Epi LP, a MIM Tele, and a Gibson Tradition LP. (The lower end one with the maple neck and satin finish. I was really impressed by the tone, and the playability of this "budget" LP. The weight is good, and it has a very lively acoustic ring to it. The neck is a nice full "C" carve that makes playing it a breeze.

To add; my latest musical purchase was a Joyo California Sound pedal on an impulse from Guitar Denter. I play my 2 guitars (1981 Ibanez Blazer 3 and 1980 Vantage VSH-455) through my bass amp (Yorkville XM100) because I like the sound of the 15" with 100 watts behind it. I'd been looking at all the sweet boutique dirt pedals, but am too cheap to drop a couple of Benjamins on a pedal. So, was doing a casual walkthrough while my dog was at the vet, and picked up the Joyo for $20. Haven't reall had the opportunity to mess with it all that much, but for a general dirt pedal, it works well.

My bass gear is the aforementioned mutt, an SX short scale P that I upgraded the tuners to Gotoh, the bridge, and the pickup from a Mexi P-bass. Sounds like....a P-bass. My other bass amp that lives in my buddy's basement is an old Peavey Combo 300 in great shape. (A Craig's List steal for $60.)

To add; my latest musical purchase was a Joyo California Sound pedal on an impulse from Guitar Denter.

I had toyed with the idea of getting one of those to act as a hardware amp sim since my "recording space" is too reflective to get really good amp tones. But I stumbled upon a *really* good crunch tone in a software ampsim that I've really been loving lately.

time to resuscitate this thread. I'm currently noodling on a homebrew mutt short scale J bass, put together with the body from a Yamaha BBG4 body, DiMarzio pickups, and an Allen Eden neck with a 3 + 1 Music man style headstock. sounds good for my couch noodling and occasional basement jam at a buddy's.

He, my buddy, has been on an orgy of guitar purchases over the last couple of months, acquiring a Slash Epi LP, a MIM Tele, and a Gibson Tradition LP. (The lower end one with the maple neck and satin finish. I was really impressed by the tone, and the playability of this "budget" LP. The weight is good, and it has a very lively acoustic ring to it. The neck is a nice full "C" carve that makes playing it a breeze.
I am hearing such good things about the epi line of reissued LP's from the 50's. In particular, the r9 (2022 is getting a dirty lemon version to go with the iced tea) and the burstbuckers they're slapping in there. I tested one out at Sam Ash prior to going with a Silver Sky and I couldn't get along with the neck but everything else about it was very nice. Love that they're making the effort with the budget-end of the brand.

1650155749038.png

Back on my pedal game. Loved the Headrush for gain/drive pedals, but just didn't care for the wet effects, so I started scooping up the occasional delay & reverb and now it's a whole new board. The Strymon Iridium lets me keep a no-amp setup and run some pretty nice IRs. Still waiting on a tremolo pedal and a new compressor pedal. Then, like any good worship guitarist, I'll just keep buying reverbs til Jesus comes back.

View attachment 9081738

Back on my pedal game. Loved the Headrush for gain/drive pedals, but just didn't care for the wet effects, so I started scooping up the occasional delay & reverb and now it's a whole new board. The Strymon Iridium lets me keep a no-amp setup and run some pretty nice IRs. Still waiting on a tremolo pedal and a new compressor pedal. Then, like any good worship guitarist, I'll just keep buying reverbs til Jesus comes back.
I was thinking of grabbing a fractal fm3 or quad cortex myself but I feel like the learning curve is too steep. Love me some good old fashioned pedalboards!

Catching up on this, it's clear I need more pedals and somehow that makes me also think I need more cymbals. I keep saying Im going to focus on one instrument, but I keep half assing all of them. :/

I keep saying Im going to focus on one instrument, but I keep half assing all of them. :/
Story of my life right there. At 14 instruments right now, master of none.

Catching up on this, it's clear I need more pedals and somehow that makes me also think I need more cymbals. I keep saying Im going to focus on one instrument, but I keep half assing all of them. :/

At least you guys are half assing multiple instruments, with how much I'm playing right now, I'm maybe quarter-assing guitar and like 1/16 of an ass on sax :ROFLMAO:

I was thinking of grabbing a fractal fm3 or quad cortex myself but I feel like the learning curve is too steep. Love me some good old fashioned pedalboards!
You should check out Tosin Absasi's pedal board from Animals As Leaders. And for a real jaw-dropper, Doug Wimbish's rig for bass in Living Colour.

Yep. At last check, I have 1 piano, 2 keyboards, 2 acoustic guitars, 2 electric guitars, 1 bass, 1 mandolin, 1 marching snare, 1 electric drumkit, and 2 acoustic drumkits in the house, not counting my wife & daughter's flutes, piccolos, and clarinets. I average about 30 minutes of playing time PER WEEK right about now...

I saw Dave LaRue playing with Steve Morse several years ago, they opened for Kansas. It took two crew members to carry Dave's bass pedal board on and off the stage. Crazy big.

Back