My brain won't let me break 90

edhalsim

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm 60, in good health, and I've been playing since I was a teenager. I've always been single digit shooting low 80s and now and then breaking 70. As I took lessons trying to improve over the course of a few years, all I've done is get worse. Recently, I've shot 7 rounds in a row of 90+. I drive the ball great hitting most fairways, but I lead the tour in doubles or worse from the fairway. I can only hit maybe 3 GIRs and my short game is awful; my practice strokes are ok, but then I'll skull it or fluff it, basically the yips. I also have issues from 3-5'.

Over the past few months/years now it's engrained in my brain that I suck at golf, I can't hit the ball and my short game is awful. I'm at a loss here; my emotions go from frustration to anger tofailure to sadness. Golf is my "one thing" that I've always wanted to be really good at (not pro, just very good amateur). I'm sure other people have run into extended slumps like this; any suggestions on how to get out of it and actually enjoy playing again? Thanks. Ed.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Only difference is fits my eyes, not my brain that has temporarily ravaged my game......by about 6-8 strokes.

My advice to @edhalsim is to work on your short game, backwards.
This since your driver game is good.

By backwards I mean start with putting from different areas of the practice green. Do this until you can consistently hole out in two strokes. And occasional 3 putt is ok. The occasional 1 putts take care of them.

Next work on chips, and pitches. The goal here is to hole out in 3 or less strokes. Especially with the pitch shots.

Next move back as far as you want. Maybe <150 marker? (I use the 100 yard mark)

What this does is thar each of those little shots, makes the next longer shot easier. Each of those shorter shots have some of the swing parts that the longer shot/swings use.

Another shorter way to improve one's approach game is that when on the driving range, by using the yardage markers, make a narrow fairway. Practice hitting balls into that smallish, diy fairway. Don't use the width of the entire driving range.

Practice, practice, practice with focus.

Hi,
I'm 60, in good health, and I've been playing since I was a teenager. I've always been single digit shooting low 80s and now and then breaking 70. As I took lessons trying to improve over the course of a few years, all I've done is get worse. Recently, I've shot 7 rounds in a row of 90+. I drive the ball great hitting most fairways, but I lead the tour in doubles or worse from the fairway. I can only hit maybe 3 GIRs and my short game is awful; my practice strokes are ok, but then I'll skull it or fluff it, basically the yips. I also have issues from 3-5'.

Over the past few months/years now it's engrained in my brain that I suck at golf, I can't hit the ball and my short game is awful. I'm at a loss here; my emotions go from frustration to anger tofailure to sadness. Golf is my "one thing" that I've always wanted to be really good at (not pro, just very good amateur). I'm sure other people have run into extended slumps like this; any suggestions on how to get out of it and actually enjoy playing again? Thanks. Ed.

The mind can be awful sometimes. You are trying your hardest to get over a hump but self-doubt brings you right back down. I try to concentrate really hard for the 30ish seconds of a golf shot and then shut that down and find something else to occupy the brain. If you look at it that way, you are only truly golfing for those 45 key minutes. Try to not concentrate on the "whole round" of 4-4.5 hours.

Ed, Welcome to THP. Others will guide you.

Hi,

Just let it happen pards and shrug the bad days off.

Go get some tune up sessions from trusted a local pro.

The more you let it eat at you, the worse off you will be.

I basically had a 12 year layoff from the game with a few rounds sprinkled in here and there............ and I expected to be single digits right away when I came back 3 years ago? :rolleyes: Yeah right!

Baby steps. (y)

I have been in a funk at times myself as of late. I have to remember that i need to concentrate on what i WANT to do, not about what i don't want to hit as the last thought

May I ask.... do you feel like you have a consistent Pre-Shot Routine (PSR) from shot to shot?

I think some people feel like they do, but don't. And IMHO, it makes a pretty big difference in one's consistency.

I would highly recommend working on one and doing it at the range as often as possible.

When I grind at the range on my PSR, it makes my golf course play that bit better. It helps take some pressure off too, as it is essentially you just doing what you've done 100 times at the range.

And my 2nd point would be..... work on your short game as much as possible.

My last point - try to eliminate penalty strokes.

Manage those 3 things....and it would be almost difficult to shoot over 90.

Go out and just play golf for a couple of rounds - don't keep score. That might help to reduce some of the performance anxiety.

Go out and just play golf for a couple of rounds - don't keep score. That might help to reduce some of the performance anxiety.

This is the best advice. I would suggest that you don’t keep score too. Also, I would suggest that, if possible, you don’t play a normal round. Play a practice round where you might play more than one ball on a hole. Focusing on hitting the ball rather than focusing on score can help.

I know not everyone is open to reading books, but Zen Golf and Golf is not a Game of Perfect are two great books. If you had to choose one I would choose Zen Golf. Really has helped me get out of my own way.

When I get out of line, I just fill my brain with how much I enjoy being on a golf course, being outside, and being with buddies.

Focus on your GASP -- grip, aim, stance, posture -- and then swing to the target that's pictured in your mind.

Don't think about your score until the round is over.

And have fun.

Welcome to THP. I'm sure you'll find some answers as this group has experience and passion for the game.
I feel your pain! I almost quit the game last year. After being a single digit hc with a solid all around game, I lost my swing. Over a three year period I couldn't put together two good shots in a row and I was miserable. I tried to make it fun and less mental again. I focused on grip/alignment, stopped keeping score, hit different clubs and shots than normal. By season's end, I was feeling better about playing. I'm excited about beginning this season.

Driver yips here... my move has been to stay in motion as much as possible... pick a target to swing at/to/through sneak up on the ball and make your swing with as little pause as possible. Good luck and at least enjoy the walk

I find concentrating on my set up, short game and putting, helps reduce doubles and triples more than raking and beating

I'm no one to ell anyone about their game. I empathize with you, and hope you can work your way out of it. I always advise people to go really weird for a round or two. Just take a 7-iron, wedge, and putter and play a 3-club round or two. Don't keep score for 3 rounds. Get one of your regular playing partners and use his clubs. Just shake things up.

Hi Ed! Welcome to THP!

Good luck with re-finding the game. So easy to get off track with this crazy game. I don't have advise other than I know I do best when I let go of expectations. I can also find relief from specific woes by doing something completely different. With chipping, for example, if I start chunking or skulling shots, I will start using less and less loft. There are days where I chip with 7i, even from 20ish yards from the green. Doing something very different can sometimes help me settle down mentally.

I’m going to repeat what has already been said. Stop keeping score, at least for a while. Fear of getting a big number can paralyze you. I was in exactly the same situation as you. I played well as a young man, but I quit for many years, coming back as a senior, it bothered me that I don’t hit it as far and I can’t score like I used to. Once I stopped caring about the number of strokes, it got easier. Just play for the middle of the green on every approach and chip shot. Your confidence will come back and you’ll have more fun just playing when you stop worrying about your scores.

WOW! I'm overwhelmed in a very positive way with all the kind replies. I'll definitely take them to heart and we'll see how it goes. I'm confident they will help!

Well, driving the ball well is about the hardest thing to do so a few adjustments and you should be fine.

Are you shooting at pins or playing for the middle of the green? Sometimes a conservative approach can help. Taking an extra club, choking down and making a smooth 3/4 swing often works for me as well.

As far as the yips go....I've had a yippy short game in the past. For me it started with poor technique. I never learned how to properly use the bounce of my wedge, which lead to the leading edge digging, which lead to decel, mishits and loss of confidence. There are a million videos online or get a lesson from a pro that focuses solely on how to use the bounce of the club. Once you get the hang of sliding the club along the ground you can focus on a preshot routine that you can use in practice and on the course. Your confidence will come back and the yips will go away. Good luck!

I don’t remember breaking 90, but I know breaking 80 was a complete mind**** for me. I watched the Rick Shiels podcast with Nick Faldo yesterday (fantastic watch, Faldo was in great form) and he said with golf, you can be a complete hacker, or the best in the world, you will find golf frustrating, so you are in good company. The good news is, once you break 90, you’ll probably find it starts happening quite regularly.

lots of good advice here. During the winter all i have done is work on short game indoors by practicing hitting chip shots into a chipping net with almost golf balls from different didtances and a I got pretty good at that. I found that even that practice helped out for my overall game. Down in Florida recently i was good at the driving range (well after my first ball hit the barrier between my dad and I) and it carried over on the golf course.

during spring and starting soon I just go to a field and stick an alignment stick in the ground, walk off 100 yards and practice how many balls I can get within 20' of stick

good exercise and practice

I just buy new golf clubs..... fixes nothing but gives me a reason to go practice and "test" them and all of a sudden I am shooting better scores again because I focused on the game not the score. The can the club hit this shot or that shot on course testing.

I can be my own worst enemy on the course. I let negative thoughts creep in too much. I was bad at expressing those thoughts around my playing partners. They would tell me "You aren't as bad as you think you are. If you can allow yourself to be more confident you'll be a better golfer. Your negativity is what your problem is".

So I suppose that would be the best advice I can give. Try and be more confident. Talk yourself into hitting a good shot rather than talking yourself out of it. I'm still not as confident as I would like. But I'm better than I used to be. And lately my game has better.

Hi,

Sounds to me like you're well aware of where you are losing strokes which is an amazing start and far ahead of most. Full disclosure, I'm finishing up my PhD in Psychology and work with a lot of golfers. Slumps happen to the best of us, at every level (difference being the relativity of skill). Sounds like you've set 90 as your new benchmark even though you've broken it plenty of times in your life. A good place to start would be trying to remember what it felt like to shoot your better scores, look for feelings associated with playing well and you may be surprised some playing feels may return. If you're struggling to hit greens and score, spend extra time practicing shots from 100 and in. Use games like up and down games to really measure and challenge yourself - this is a great way to sort out yips. I personally use an 18 hole up and down game with a lot of my clients to simulate in round pressure - 1 ball only. Anything above 7/18 should get you on the right track to breaking 90 no problem. Lastly, take control of your self-talk. Even though it feels true, saying my short game is awful, and the belief that you are a bad golfer will only reinforce the idea. When you feel these thoughts start to arise, acknowledge them, accept them as irrational, and replace with something you feel will help you improve. Best of luck and remember - shooters keep shooting!

Back