My Experience at The 93rd PGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club

I am taking my son out of school for the Tuesday practice round. I will post photos after. If any one else is there I will have on my white Hackers Paradise hat.

So the groups got named. What was your group number and time Josh?

Been on the road all day and just saw the posted groups.

Thursday, 8:45 AM - Bubba Watson, Ian Poulter, Jeff Overton
Friday, 2:00 PM - John Daly, Mark Brooks, Jerry Pate

Should be a pretty fun time, and I'm bound to get a decent group on Sunday. I'll actually be meeting Bubba Watson Monday at the PGA Superstore in Roswell. I'm gonna mention to him I'll be his standard bearer for the first round, haha.

Wow what a treat. Not only meeting Bubba, but following him on the course? Spectacular. That's a great group you got in Overton, Poults, and Bubba. and John Daly on Day 2? Thats not too bad either.

Should be a pretty fun time, and I'm bound to get a decent group on Sunday. I'll actually be meeting Bubba Watson Monday at the PGA Superstore in Roswell. I'm gonna mention to him I'll be his standard bearer for the first round, haha.

Bulldog will want to talk to you since you are in Poulty's group. He really wants to get something to hin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian Poulter is one of the nicest people on tour. You'll have a great time with him.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiences!

I am gonna need Overtons autograph. Also tell him that him and I need to party sometime as twins.

I am gonna need Overtons autograph. Also tell him that him and I need to party sometime as twins.

I will see what I can do my friend. Almost got it today.

I'll take fowlers lol

I tapatalk better then I tapaputt

Ok everyone, these last two days have been the most amazing experience of my life.

Monday:
On this day, I took part in all of the cool experiences they have for all of the attendees. In one tent, they have an experience sponsored by Mercedes-Benz. In here, you can get a 10 minute session of trying to hit closest to the pin, and GolfTEC has a station set up for putting analysis. Along with all of this, they have a racing game set up on an iPad connected to a TV, and the fastest completion time at the end of the week wins a car! Another tent has the fan experience sponsored by RBS, which allowed us to record our swing, and they would upload it and let us compare to all of the tour pros. Also, they have a bag design contest in there too. The last tent is sponsored by American Express, and they have a lot to offer. In there, they have a lot of GolfTEC volunteers giving small lessons, and helping with putting. There is also a par 3 contest where you can win a new golf bag which is awesome. I parked one at 7.2 feet, but someone beat me out by the day's end. When I finished doing all of this, I made my way out to the course.

The first person we noticed out there was V. Singh. He was on the practice green putting. Shortly after, he made his way to the range, and we followed. On the range, we saw KJ Choi, Singh, and Immelman. There wasn't too much going on though, so we made our way back towards the putting greens. When we got there, I saw my favorite golfer ever putting and then heading to the 10th tee. Dustin Johnson was playing with Brian Gay and another TM staffer. We followed them for a good while, and DJ was looking good. He is being very smart and hitting a lot of 3 and 5 woods, instead of getting in trouble with the driver. He's got the flat stick rolling a little better than usual too. We tried getting his autograph afterwards, but so many people were already in line for it, and I didn't have a chance. We watched quite a few groups come in on 18, and a lot of the players were missing the green right, and they ended up in the water. Also, it seems that number 16's green is quite tough. The pin position was in a place that required almost every putt to be just barely tapped, and it would break tremendously. As far as the course itself, it is in immaculate condition as you would expect. A friend of mine that I took is actually a turf management major, and he was saying that the rough was zoysia grass, meaning that majority of balls that find the rough will actually have a decent lie. Something about the grass makes it hard for the ball to settle down deep. This grass is pretty sticky though, and thick, so that will be the tough part about it.

After we left the course, we decided to stop by the PGA Superstore in Roswell, and meet Bubba Watson. Here we got to go in and see Bubba, and he signed our flags we bought, and also signed a nice PING hat they gave us. This was really neat, and he was a nice guy.

Tuesday:
Today I got to bring my dad along with me, as they gave us a couple of tickets for Tuesday's practice rounds. I showed him around all of the fan experience tents, and watched him take part in that. When we hit the course, we saw a group that had Lucas Glover and Zach Johnson, and they had just teed off so we went to find them. We never did find them, but we ran into DJ and Phil's group, and they were doing a competition against Steve Marino and Jeff Overton. This was really fun to watch. When we first found them, DJ had a crazy shot in the rough, and everyone was thinking he would definitely just chip sideways as he had no shot. Somehow he miraculously hits straight through all the trees, and ends up a few feet short of the green. We watched them from 14 to 18, and then I got set up for autographs. I ended up getting Bo Van Pelt, Steve Marino, Webb Simpson, and.... PHIL! I was so excited! He only picked a few people, because everyone was pushing and shoving. Since I was just standing still, he told me, "Thanks for not pushing," and then signed my flag. It was so cool. I can't wait to get out there tomorrow, and I'll definitely be waiting to get DJ's signature!

As a side note, we watched quite a few people hit on the 260 yard, par 3 15th. Everyone is coming up there hitting hybrids and woods. Garrigus stepped up and ripped a 3-iron and put it about 10 feet from the hole. It was impressive. I'll try to get on and update more tomorrow, and I've got plenty of pictures, just not a lot of time to post. Going to bed now so I can be rested for tomorrow.

Ok everyone, these last two days have been the most amazing experience of my life.

Monday:
On this day, I took part in all of the cool experiences they have for all of the attendees. In one tent, they have an experience sponsored by Mercedes-Benz. In here, you can get a 10 minute session of trying to hit closest to the pin, and GolfTEC has a station set up for putting analysis. Along with all of this, they have a racing game set up on an iPad connected to a TV, and the fastest completion time at the end of the week wins a car! Another tent has the fan experience sponsored by RBS, which allowed us to record our swing, and they would upload it and let us compare to all of the tour pros. Also, they have a bag design contest in there too. The last tent is sponsored by American Express, and they have a lot to offer. In there, they have a lot of GolfTEC volunteers giving small lessons, and helping with putting. There is also a par 3 contest where you can win a new golf bag which is awesome. I parked one at 7.2 feet, but someone beat me out by the day's end. When I finished doing all of this, I made my way out to the course.

The first person we noticed out there was V. Singh. He was on the practice green putting. Shortly after, he made his way to the range, and we followed. On the range, we saw KJ Choi, Singh, and Immelman. There wasn't too much going on though, so we made our way back towards the putting greens. When we got there, I saw my favorite golfer ever putting and then heading to the 10th tee. Dustin Johnson was playing with Brian Gay and another TM staffer. We followed them for a good while, and DJ was looking good. He is being very smart and hitting a lot of 3 and 5 woods, instead of getting in trouble with the driver. He's got the flat stick rolling a little better than usual too. We tried getting his autograph afterwards, but so many people were already in line for it, and I didn't have a chance. We watched quite a few groups come in on 18, and a lot of the players were missing the green right, and they ended up in the water. Also, it seems that number 16's green is quite tough. The pin position was in a place that required almost every putt to be just barely tapped, and it would break tremendously. As far as the course itself, it is in immaculate condition as you would expect. A friend of mine that I took is actually a turf management major, and he was saying that the rough was zoysia grass, meaning that majority of balls that find the rough will actually have a decent lie. Something about the grass makes it hard for the ball to settle down deep. This grass is pretty sticky though, and thick, so that will be the tough part about it.

After we left the course, we decided to stop by the PGA Superstore in Roswell, and meet Bubba Watson. Here we got to go in and see Bubba, and he signed our flags we bought, and also signed a nice PING hat they gave us. This was really neat, and he was a nice guy.

Tuesday:
Today I got to bring my dad along with me, as they gave us a couple of tickets for Tuesday's practice rounds. I showed him around all of the fan experience tents, and watched him take part in that. When we hit the course, we saw a group that had Lucas Glover and Zach Johnson, and they had just teed off so we went to find them. We never did find them, but we ran into DJ and Phil's group, and they were doing a competition against Steve Marino and Jeff Overton. This was really fun to watch. When we first found them, DJ had a crazy shot in the rough, and everyone was thinking he would definitely just chip sideways as he had no shot. Somehow he miraculously hits straight through all the trees, and ends up a few feet short of the green. We watched them from 14 to 18, and then I got set up for autographs. I ended up getting Bo Van Pelt, Steve Marino, Webb Simpson, and.... PHIL! I was so excited! He only picked a few people, because everyone was pushing and shoving. Since I was just standing still, he told me, "Thanks for not pushing," and then signed my flag. It was so cool. I can't wait to get out there tomorrow, and I'll definitely be waiting to get DJ's signature!

As a side note, we watched quite a few people hit on the 260 yard, par 3 15th. Everyone is coming up there hitting hybrids and woods. Garrigus stepped up and ripped a 3-iron and put it about 10 feet from the hole. It was impressive. I'll try to get on and update more tomorrow, and I've got plenty of pictures, just not a lot of time to post. Going to bed now so I can be rested for tomorrow.

Nothing like a 260 yard 3 Iron to 10 ft. Thanks for sharing the day, sounded like a blast. Have fun tomorrow!

Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention this. Today while my dad was getting his putting stroke analyzed, I walked over and talked to the guy helping him. Somehow THP got brought up and they guy says, "Yeah, I've made a couple of posts on there helping people. My name's Andy." I was like, oh man I know exactly who you are! It was really cool, as this is the first THPer I have ever met. It was really cool.

Don't forget about me Josh! As your best bud I've been right with you during this entire experience....Today I got to see Rory Mcilroy play the back-nine. He wasn't in particularly great form as he missed a lot of fairways, but it's understandable considering between every green and tee box he signed at least 100 autographs; or at least he signed until his fellow playing competitors (Anders Hanson and Richard Green) hit two tee shots each haha. So hopefully Rory's boyish charm and love for his fans won't hinder his performance this week. I would also like to mention that I was really impressed with Richard Green. Every shot he hit today was on a frozen rope. Granted he was hitting his drives at least 30 yards short of Mcilroy, he outperformed Mcilroy big time. From 16 fairway about 220 out, Green came within inches of a hole out. As well, on hole 18 Green had at least 260 to carry the water into a 10mph wind, and he hit a frozen rope to 10 feet; by far one of the best shots I've ever seen. Watch out for this guy this week. If he grinds hard enough he could be in contention.....Noteable players: Vijay Singh and Rory Sabbatini. Rory played by himself today and hit 3 different balls on every hole. He looks to be in real good form this week. As well, I like the way Vijay is swinging. Granted I only saw him hit a few shots on the range and on the course, he could be a good sleeper this week...So far this PGA Championship has been an amazing experience. I look forward to getting some more autographs tomorrow and hopefully seeing Tiger Woods out there (as he hasn't been on the course all week from what I could tell). I also look forward to Standard Bearing for Ernie Els' and Anthony Kim's group on Friday :)...Stay tuned because me and Josh_Ross will be sure to keep you guys updated on our insights to the 2011 PGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club!

Good stuff Josh

Good stuff Josh! Cant wait to see some pics

Awesome Josh!! Congrats on getting Webbs autograph. He's a pretty awesome guy.

Wednesday:
So today was a super exciting day for me, and pretty interesting. eaglesgolf72 and I found a great spot to stand for autographs, and with it being Wednesday, all of the golfers were out. Tiger was one of the first to walk by once we got in position, and like always, he walked right by and didn't say a word to anyone, not the fans, nor any of the other golfers. Then the golfers started pouring in. I got autographs from Kaymer, Hoffman, Sabbatini, Fowler, Els, Quiros, Mahan, Barnes, Jacobsen, Scott Stallings, Tringdale, Rose, Baddeley, Garrigus, and Daly. Baddeley and Sabbatini were the coolest guys ever. I had a conversation with them both, and they were the friendliest people out there. Badds told me about his driver, saying he played the Fast10, with a Project X shaft. He also told me his sandwich was good, haha. Sabbatini was joking around with everyone, and was just a real classy guy. Ricky Fowler took forever to sign, because he signed everything put in front of him which was cool. Later on, Tiger made his way back through and actually signed about 10 out of the 500 people standing there waiting on him. At one point, we saw Nick Watney walk by. Something was up with this guy today. He looked as if he was under the influence of something. He had some weird wobble to his step, and his face was all funny looking. Then when everyone was yelling for him to come over, he threw a golf ball into the crowd. But you had to see the way he threw it. It was almost like he struggled to get it there. It just looked really weird. We also saw Greg Norman walk by, but he wasn't interested in signing at the moment.

After we were content with the autographs we had, we went over to the chipping greens and bunker. Here we saw some short game masters, a couple of guys named Luke Donald and Phil Mickelson. We watched them hit from the greenside and the bunker for a bit before walking over to the range. Kuchar, the Molinari's, Paddy Harrington, Ian Poulter, Cink, and Goydos were hitting shots on the range. We watched them for a bit, then headed back to the shuttles. We have to be there super early in the morning, so we got back kind of early so we can get plenty of sleep tonight. Tomorrow will be a very fun and tiring day, so I'm heading out guys.

Tiger sounded like he was a real joy. What a douche. Cool to hear that Sabbatini was nice and fun for everyone. Sounds like a great day man!

I would not have picked Sabbatini to be the real nice dude. I know that Badds is a really cool guy. That suprises me Watney was like that. He is always a real happy, upbeat guy. I would think he is sick and not high. If he was high, that would shock me.

I would not have picked Sabbatini to be the real nice dude. I know that Badds is a really cool guy. That suprises me Watney was like that. He is always a real happy, upbeat guy. I would think he is sick and not high. If he was high, that would shock me.

Yeah, I doubt he was high or anything like that, but he sure was acting like it. It was real funny looking for sure.

I've had the chance to cover two PGA Championships in 1996 and 2000 at Valhalla. Two of the greatest experiences in my life, to be around the greats of the game. All of you who are fortunate enough to go this weekend, trust me, it will be an experience you will always remember and have fun!

That is freaking sweet! Great hearing all this, looking forward to hearing more!

Great thread. I'll be looking for you on tv

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Not a lot of updating going on, as I've been at the course all day, every day. I will say that Tiger walked by me yesterday, and when I told him good luck, he turned, smiled, and nodded. That was the last thing I expected. Also, after Bubba got off to his hot start, he got distracted by a guy hammering a pole in the ground during his backswing. That happened, and then he went +7 on the front. The cell phones will likely be banned, as lots of players and caddies have been yelling at the people taking pictures. Rory is swinging just fine with the tendon problem, and the scoring should be about the same today as yesterday. As soon as I'm at a laptop, I'll give some more updates.

Here's a quick picture of DJ with Butch Harmon during Monday's round. Hope this pic turns out alright. EDIT: Looks blurry on my phone, I'll get better ones up eventually.

aefca8b1-9836-b434.jpg

Tappin' away from my DROIDX.

Back