My first club victory - and it was a major!

Mav281

Mr Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
Firstly I don't want this post to come across as though I am bragging, it's genunily not my intention to brag I'm just pretty much over the moon with my performance today and wanted to share the experience with other THP er's :D

Today was the Spring Cup at my local club which is one of about 6 or 7 major competitions througout the year. The Spring Cup is played in a slighly odd but relativley simple format (called Bogey) whereby if you shoot Birdie or better you get a +, shoot par and it's a 0 and Bogey or worse and it's a -. Plus, minus and 0 scores are then totalled up at the end to give you plus or negative score.

Well today I played about as well as I have done over the last few years and shot an 83. Which was a score of +7 :clapp:

Big difference today, was leaving the driver in the bag and using my RBZ 3 wood off the tee. Only missed two fairways all day long and it made so much of a difference. Add that do some hot shorter iron shots onto various greens and some pretty awesome putting and the rest was history as they say.

So finally after 10 years of golf, I finally have my name on a trophy in the club house cabinet, an engraved crystle decanter on it's way to me not to mention £75 to spend in the pro shop.

Only down side of course is the cut in handicap to 18.3, but Im sure I'll get used to that :bulgy-eyes:

Last edited:
Congrats on the win.....sounds alot like the Modified Stableford format

Congrats! Would be proud as well that is an awesome accomplishment

Congrats! That's not bragging, that's something to be proud of a share with your THP family. Thanks for letting us know and great job out there!

Congrats!! Look forward to the day where I can win something like this at my club. Solid playing out there!

Wow! I am glad for you and understand you are flying high!

Tappin' for world peace in HD!

Nice job buddy. Sounded nothing like bragging. Keep your nerves in check at the next major!

Congratulations on your win. Nothing wrong with wanting to share.

Huge congrats!

Great job!!!!!

Congrats on the win!

congrats! nice work!

Congratulations on the win!

Congrats, great job!

Congrats!

Congrats dude, hopefully there's many more victories to come!

Congrats! Great great win!

Brother, that is very cool. I believe all of us would be just as excited. Congrats and good luck on you next major.

Thanks very much for your comments and support guys :act-up:

It was a huge victory for me personally having struggled all last year playing off a handicap of 15 which turned out to be incorrectly calculated at the start of the year. My handicap dropped to 16.2 throughout 2011 and was then reviewed over the Christmas period and I went from 16.2 to 20.4. That in turn has now dropped to an 18.3 following this weekend's victory which is probably about right for me at the moment as I seem to be shooting high 80's most weekends at the moment.

Fingers crossed I have turned a corner and my golf is now heading in the right direction!

Excited for you Mav, that is quite the accomplishment. Hope you continue to post those good scores.

Congratulations Mav. No need to apologise for bragging, this is something to be rightly proud of! Keep up the good work and improvement! :D

congrats on the win!

Congratulations! That's a fantastic score. And I like the format of that tournament. I may have to start using that during some of my Saturday rounds for competition purposes.

~Rock

Great win. Not bragging at all. I think everyone here likes to hear success stories. Congrats again

Back