My Morgan Cup Announcement/Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying that this is absolutely not a thread where people need to come on and pile on and I am certainly not calling any individuals out. This is a rant about the Morgan Cup in 2012 and what I am seeing. The first ever Morgan Cup last year was truly revolutionary in terms of what it offered, the way it was seen and what it entailed. The opportunity of a lifetime to be a fully sponsored golfer for a weekend and the time leading up to and after the event. Some embraced it, some did not and the choice was theirs to go about it the way they seemed fit.

THP learned a lot from that event and structured things differently this year and explained that people could be as involved as they wanted, but it seemed as though it was pretty well known that participation was a necessity. No, someone does not have to be involved in the trash talk or create videos or get involved with mundane banter that goes into it. That is their choice. However they must be involved in the forum and that does NOT mean just updating the threads about your sponsor every couple of days or making an appearance once a day for a quick post welcoming new people. All of that is great, but what people seem to forget is that being part of the Morgan Cup is a dream come true for most golfers. You are an effin rock star to the forum and instead of hiding with your toys and practicing, one should take a minute to remember that people on the forum should know who the heck the participants are.

I want to take my hat off and thank the two captains, because in my opinion both of them have done a good job with a new format. They were dealt a hand and have done an excellent job in working to create the best environment possible to succeed (and I am not talking about winning or losing). I want to also thank those that have made themselves known on the forum and embraced the idea that this is something special. Again, I do not want this to turn into the "Where did this guy go" thread, because that is not what it is about...

But I do want those that are in the event, to take a minute, and think about how close we are to this becoming a reality. Look over at that staff bag, look at the clubs, remember the messages with your tour rep and think about what is about to happen and just ask yourself "Could I do a few things differently?". We have about a month left to bring the 2nd Morgan Cup to glory and I hope ALL 24 golfers that are able to participate in this thing do their part to make it the best event we have ever had on THP.

Lastly, I want to say that this will be the last Morgan Cup that I will be participating in. I think its best that I use my efforts behind the scenes if we ever want to have another one of these and certain things have just taken a toll on me personally in this one. If THP is fortunate to have another Ultimate Amateur Golf Event, I think it should be about the forum, not the people behind the forum and because of that will go out with a blaze of glory and the Cup in my hand thanks to the people that have made the 2nd one possible.

To those that are in the 2nd Morgan Cup, its time. Its time to be a participant and an effin big deal on this forum. Its time to forget about the trash talk or banter and remember the night when the video viewing party was taking place and you saw yours come up on the screen. Its time to remember what went through your head when you were selected. And lastly, its time to remember that what you are creating, you are creating for not just you, but those that will come after you. Its time to get the job done.

Join me in my journey to the 2012 Morgan Cup and remember how special this is. The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event!

Just wow is all I can say. I can't wait for next month. I was hoping to be down there but things just didn't work out this year...can't wait to follow it from Delaware though!

Well said and nice rant. I for one need to up my participation on the forum.

I can tell you now that The Morgan Cup throphy will not be going home with you, it will however be taking a flight across the big blue ocean with me !!!

very well said

Hell, I'm inspired now! Good 1st read of the day at THP.

Wandering the earth like Kane from Kung Fu, Tapatalking on an iPhone.

Wow, powerful stuff JB. As a 2012 MC video entrant who did not make the cut, I would just remind all of the MC'ers that there are many forum members who would love to be where you are. Enjoy the ride, and give it your all. Represent THP with all you got, and make this MC the best ever!

The pictures of the completed bags and what the staffers sponsors have provided them with blows my mind. I cannot believe what THP has provided and it is impossible to imagine what it must be like to be able to experience that opportunity.

MC2012 should/will rule the world. I know that I am excited to see whose drivers team THP will be taking as trophies after defeating them in public competition.

The pictures of the completed bags and what the staffers sponsors have provided them with blows my mind. I cannot believe what THP has provided and it is impossible to imagine what it must be like to be able to experience that opportunity.

It's one of the most incredible experiences of my life. I'm very lucky to have been able to partake in this event both years that it has been played. It's something to cherish. The best part is embracing the opportunity. You know what years from now I won't remember who won or who lost, but I will sure has hell remember the experience of being treated like a tour pro. I hope everyone in MC 2.0 feels the same way. We have about 5 weeks to go and I hope things will begin to pick up even more.

I realize that because I'm not a dues paying member here yet my comments probably carry less weight (appropriately so), but I totally agree with what JB said. I've been surprised in a bad way with some of the things I've seen, and not seen. Hopefully this will light a fire.

Well, I hate this had to be written. What bums me out is that everyone knows what they're signing up for. Hopefully the next month and a bit goes well.

well i for one am pumped up for the MC! i really enjoyed following it last year and will be doing the same this year. I really hope the MC continues in the future and maybe ill be lucky enough to get picked. Really one of the coolest things i have ever seen done anywhere!

very well said!! I am quite bummed you are announcing this is your last year though

*starts a slow but loud clap*

It is something special from what I read and hear about and I hope it doesn't go away. I have hopes in being apart of it one day, whether it's next year or 10 years from now, and hope it thrives from the players that participate today.

Josh, first I hate to hear that you won't be participating again, but as the site continues to grow and evolve, I guess I can understand your reasoning.

While I don't feel like I am an effin rockstar, I DO feel like an effin lucky SOB to have been chose to be a part of this event!

I was telling this story to a couple of guys on the range when we were in Austin, about this time last year I was a 20-22 handicap. I got involved with the first Morgan Cup and was pretty active as a supporter of Team Paradise. I made it my goal to work my butt off to get my handicap down so I could qualify "IF" there was ever a second one. A few months later I have not only dropped about 6 strokes of my handicap, but I was blessed to be chosen for the Morgan Cup 2.0!

Since that point, I have done everything I can to embrace this great event and I try to never forget that there were tons of others that would have loved to be given this opportunity! I can't believe that it's only 5 weeks away and I can't wait to get there, and represent my sponsor, my team and most of all the great people of this forum!

Reactions: JB
Well said. I have not been on as much as I would have liked to have because of my travel schedule and crazy workload.

This is an amazing opportunity and it has made me feel like a rock star.

You know what annoys me? WHen we only see posts b/c equipment has been received. I hate that.

I am gutted that this rant was needed. For my own part, I read it and hope to make you proud of the MC 2.0 and all of the participants.

You know what annoys me? WHen we only see posts b/c equipment has been received. I hate that.
Me too, TC, me too. But as a non-participant, I can only do my part to support the MC 2.0 and hope that the staffers really bring it to the best of their abilities in the upcoming weeks.

I really don't know what to say. I am thankful for the reminder of how I felt when my name was announced. I was jumping around and screaming like a school girl. I had a grin on my face for a month straight. I think about this event and how lucky I am to be part of it and want more than anything for others to have this opportunity.

Pretty fricking unreal that this would even have to be brought up. There are many of us who were gutted not making the team again this year, yet some take it for granted like no big deal? I'm shocked, but not surprised.

Great post Cap'n! Whether you call it crunch time or go time, it's almost almost here and it's really going to be a lot of fun.

Sad to hear that this will be your last. Personally I feel you are an intregal part of the Morgan Cup. I have no doubt though that it can take a toll on yourself and GG because of how huge it is. I love THP and everything it represents, and I have been super excited about repping a company that I hadn't given much thought to over the last couple of years, and I have learned some things about the two other great sponsors. It is sad that this post had to be made, but at the same time if a Morgan Cup Staffer doesn't read this and get effin pumped up there is something wrong with you!

I guess I should confess on here that I haven't paid much attention to a lot of the Morgan Cup stuff on the forum. Probably the main reason is because I haven't yet met any other THP'ers in person and don't personally know any of the participants.
Before I go any farther, I should make it clear that I think the Morgan Cup is an awesome event and one of the many reasons that THP stands out in the golf world. Hopefully the event can continue on and one of these days when I'm in a better position to do so, maybe I'll have an opportunity to participate.
Best of luck to all of the 2012 Morgan Cup participants and a huge thanks to JB, Morgan and the rest of the THP gang and sponsors that make it all possible. Keep on bringing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back