Unfortunately, I think a boycott is the only way Portland extends the series beyond tonight 😢
Portland losing Dame sucks. Even if the Lakers are going to win the series, he would have gone out like a Gunslinger.
He's fun to watch, especially when he's on a heater.

How else does one read that statement?
Read it literally. If Luka would have said to Harrell “black boy,” he would have been sent home. Within the environment we are experiencing and when you take the position that the NBA players took, there can be zero tolerance for racism at any level, form or context. Having said that in no way suggests that the two words are comparable In any way. I totally understand that the one is much more deplorable. But they both are racist. The point is that if we are going to attack racism, and we must, we need to repudiate it in all of its forms and at every level. If you cry out for change and then accept it at any level, you lose your moral high ground.

Now I’m going to have to watch the Phillies lose instead 🤦‍♂️

I really hope I do not regret saying this and starting a fire in this thread, but I will add to your list the Kobe tributes over the last couple days, as if the Colorado incident never happened.

I am not saying everything has to be and eye for an eye, and the Harrell thing didn't really bother me. But in general, I agree with your point, there needs to be more consistency if there is going to be messaging on topics outside of the game itself.
I'm not sure I follow the connection with the Kobe piece and the lack of inclusion or reference to his rape allegations and how this ties to the topic. This would be analogous to going to Canton OH to visit Pro football HOF and beside OJ Simpson bust is the mention of his murder allegations? Oh wait, wasn't his bust stolen from Canton? :p

I've never been a Kobe fan and I've not watched these tributes, but I honestly wouldn't expect a Kobe tribute piece to include his rape charges. That said, I agree that the Harrell comment should have been called out vigorously by the NBA and its players.... the only one that I've heard call this out was Jay Williams from ESPN.

It doesn’t affect my life. If the NBA teams want to bring more attention to an important social issue then good for them. It won’t change my viewpoint.

It’s clearly being made a racial slur.

b*tch ass white boy from a black player to a foreign born white player.

So we think that’s ok when we are supposed to be a part of a movement to remove all social injustices in the world?

Seems worthy of some reprimand. Which as we should remind you, absolutely not statement was even made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im pretty sure the NBA players are not asking YOU to be part of their protest.

What I read in your words and those of other in this thread, that you are saying since there was no reprimand for Harrell, then any message to bring the eye of the world to racial injustice and police killings is mute?

Thank your for clarifying your position. I'll read if you choose to reply, but I'm stepping away for awhile.

So long as BLM orchestrates things, nothing will change. They are a political operative group that has hijacked the voice of legitimate protest.
All this NBA/WNBA nonsense is all BLM organized. It does more to squash voices than to promote. Plus, people just miffed that they just want to watch a game, or drive down a highway without a protest on it. BLM knows this and this is their angle. It makes people tune out and its working.
It does the opposite of its stated purpose and sows more racial discord. Fitting its on Disney.

What's the reason for the boycott?

What I read in your words and those of other in this thread, that you are saying since there was no reprimand for Harrell, then any message to bring the eye of the world to racial injustice and police killings is mute?

Thank your for clarifying your position. I'll read if you choose to reply, but I'm stepping away for awhile.

Isn’t the point of the movement to increase the size of the movement in order to create the change the movement is seeking?

Whether it be stopping police brutality as they define it, or making sure white people and blacks people stop defining each other by race, isn’t asking everyone to join in and do their part exactly the purpose of a “movement”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I follow the connection with the Kobe piece and the lack of inclusion or reference to his rape allegations and how this ties to the topic. This would be analogous to going to Canton OH to visit Pro football HOF and beside OJ Simpson bust is the mention of his murder allegations? Oh wait, wasn't his bust stolen from Canton? :p

I've never been a Kobe fan and I've not watched these tributes, but I honestly wouldn't expect a Kobe tribute piece to include his rape charges. That said, I agree that the Harrell comment should have been called out vigorously by the NBA and its players.... the only one that I've heard call this out was Jay Williams from ESPN.
In short, my objection isn't that it had to be included in the eulogization of him, or even a celebration of his accomplishments both on and off the court. They are vast, and in many ways are valuable be emulated. But some of the tributes, including the spoken word commercial, I think were more than that. When you celebrate the "Mamba Mentality", that includes everything, good and bad. It should be addressed, since it is relevant to the topic.

The NBA boycott is not about preventing a single act like someone being shot in Wisconsin. It is about awareness and calling on others to join them in pressuring their governments to enact change. They can be the ones that do this because they have a voice and they can speak without the threat of job loss or other truly significant consequences. If you are only willing to listen to those who have to choose between speaking out and being able to provide for their families, you aren't going to find many people to listen to.
So you are saying their is not enough coverage via the media and social media already? That a Professional Teams backing is needed to make needed changes in our country/world? If so, then we are much worse off than I even thought we were.

My comment about Wi nor about a single act.
Teh NBA and people have been pushing for change, lots of verbally, since GF's death.
SO words are not working. Tangible acts need to be done.

I'm the child of bra burning/women rights lady who was a teenager throughout the 60s. From her stories & my schooling, we can say those people made tangible changes.
Now, our country needs to move it forward more.

Basically, the main stakeholders need to STFU and DO something about it like the protesting of the 60s.

I think you are reading too much into what some are saying. The point is that racism is wrong, wherever it rears its ugly head and nobody crying out for its eradication should turn a blind eye to it in any form. No worthy message is muted by wrongful conduct, but the messenger loses his/her moral ground if the messenger intentionally lives a double standard.

Read it literally. If Luka would have said to Harrell “black boy,” he would have been sent home. Within the environment we are experiencing and when you take the position that the NBA players took, there can be zero tolerance for racism at any level, form or context. Having said that in no way suggests that the two words are comparable In any way. I totally understand that the one is much more deplorable. But they both are racist. The point is that if we are going to attack racism, and we must, we need to repudiate it in all of its forms and at every level. If you cry out for change and then accept it at any level, you lose your moral high ground.

I see what you are trying to say.

However, moral high ground was lost long ago by the side of the privileged. There is a major issue of racism and class based on color that must be addressed and eliminated. Using one players words and non-repose as justification to invalidate the protest by a large set of completely different human beings is wrong, IMO. Remember the "NBA" is not boycotting. The Players are.

Guys we are going to keep this open as long as the dialogue is about the protest, the nba, etc. if it gets too political, because a few can’t follow instructions, we will be forced to shut it down.

My comment about Wi nor about a single act.
Teh NBA and people have been pushing for change, lots of verbally, since GF's death.
SO words are not working. Tangible acts need to be done.
This description right here seems to completely support what they are doing, no? Words weren't working, so they are now boycotting their games.

It's not like they can pass laws unilaterally or change the culture of police departments unilaterally. Their platform is what it is and they are attempting to use it as best they can.

Doc Rivers made a strong comment ... I guess it's related to "why boycott."

I see what you are trying to say.

However, moral high ground was lost long ago by the side of the privileged. There is a major issue of racism and class based on color that must be addressed and eliminated. Using one players words and non-repose as justification to invalidate the protest by a large set of completely different human beings is wrong, IMO. Remember the "NBA" is not boycotting. The Players are.
But don’t you think that their movement would gain so much more momentum if players stood up and said, ”We do not accept racism in any form or source, and that include you, player X?”

That having been said, I agree completely that there is a major issue of racism and it must be addressed and I hope with all of my heart it will be addressed.

All of today’s games have officially been postponed.

So, how does everybody think Wilt Chamberlain would fit into today’s NBA? :D:D:D

But don’t you think that their movement would gain so much more momentum if players stood up and said, ”We do not accept racism in any form or source, and that include you, player X?”

That having been said, I agree completely that there is a major issue of racism and it must be addressed and I hope with all of my heart it will be addressed.
I think you're off-base here. Racism is about using power to oppress based on race. Unless white people are being oppressed in this country, I don't think there is anti-white racism.

There can be anti-white prejudice and bias. But that's different from racism. Systematic oppression is the issue that is being protested and standing up for white people being called names just isn't on the list of systematic oppression.

Back