Nead Sap with ivory insert

gnead

Reaction score
Handicap
Just finished this putter, it has a pre-ban elephant ivory insert, sight dot and ferrule,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not bad, you milled everything your self or built it from components

That looks fantastic, AND it's lefty!

Very nice! I love the classic style. Great look with the white insert and ferrule. I've seen some pictures of some of your work other places on the internet and you do great work. I love the way this one is ground around the back edge, blending right into the flange. Nice!

Gene makes some GORGEOUS putters.

Curious what the feel/sound off of ivory would be. Certainly exotic.

Is this one piece? I've been restoring putters for several years and just this past fall began working on building from scratch. I've mainly been working in the TP "one" style. I love pintails. I've done a couple as one piece and a couple as two piece (not counting the neck). Lots of work either way and I have only a simple table top mill. Getting necks correct is a learning process as well. I've cut a couple off and started over.

I built every part of this putter, and have built a couple of others over the years ;)

Gene Nead
Neadcustomputters.com
wantsandneads.com

That is a sweet looking putter. I love the contrast between the face and the insert. Love that it is lefty as well! Thanks for not discriminating against us :)

Thanks Jman, the ivory thing started out to be just a novelty type putter, ended up it will be the best insert material I have ever used to this point, the sound and feel is incredible.
Not fun to work with, but a very good insert.

Gene

Is this one piece? I've been restoring putters for several years and just this past fall began working on building from scratch. I've mainly been working in the TP "one" style. I love pintails. I've done a couple as one piece and a couple as two piece (not counting the neck). Lots of work either way and I have only a simple table top mill. Getting necks correct is a learning process as well. I've cut a couple off and started over.

The head is hand milled from one piece, the neck is welded on.

That was my first thought.

It's an amazing looking putter though!

Thanks Jman, the ivory thing started out to be just a novelty type putter, ended up it will be the best insert material I have ever used to this point, the sound and feel is incredible.
Not fun to work with, but a very good insert.

Gene

It has got to be a crazy unique sound.

Is this like the one going to be given away of you hit 1k followers on twitter? Gorgeous putter, but wrong handed for my use (would make my the favorite nephew though!)

It has got to be a crazy unique sound.

When I finished this putter and hit a few balls with I was really surprised, it does not sound like you would think at all. I really was expecting it to sound bad not the case at all, sounds like and feels like a slightly muted very soft carbon.

I built every part of this putter, and have built a couple of others over the years ;)

Gene Nead
Neadcustomputters.com
wantsandneads.com

Please forgive my ignorance, I didn't know you had been at this for a while.

Now that is beautiful

Please forgive my ignorance, I didn't know you had been at this for a while.

No problem at all, I have not been around much for a while, took a self imposed break from putter making to concentrate on other things in my life.

Gene

Gene Nead
Neadcustomputters.com
wantsandneads.com

Awesome looking stuff, I totally need a AS02 in Damascus steel! :D

Someday I will get a damascus steel putter because when I was about to get married we were buying wedding rings, and I wanted one in damascus steel, but it would have been too expensive, so I decided to just keep my engagement ring.

Anyway, very cool looking putters, and very interesting custom options!

Is this like the one going to be given away of you hit 1k followers on twitter? Gorgeous putter, but wrong handed for my use (would make my the favorite nephew though!)

I am building a Copper and Titanium one off custom for the 1000th follower

For some of the newer members ,there is some threads on Gene's work from a couple years back on THP and if you google his name you will find that he was a race winning NASCAR crew chief for numerous drivers.

I am building a Copper and Titanium one off custom for the 1000th follower

Well, that sounds just north of delightful!!! I can't wait to see that one, following along and re-tweeting. Do you need my initials for the engraving now, or do you already have them? lol

That is one sexy flatstick!

For some of the newer members ,there is some threads on Gene's work from a couple years back on THP and if you google his name you will find that he was a race winning NASCAR crew chief for numerous drivers.

Thank you, people may also like to know that the ivory in this putter is recycled from old trophies.

Last edited:
This is a ivory divot tool that I made 10 of

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0
Back