Need on advice for A beginning Jr golfer

gt1000

Reaction score
Handicap
My 11year is son wantS to start playing golf and I’m looking for some clubs for him. I looked at the jr. box sets, but they seem to be to short for him as he is around 5’9-5 10”. So I’m looking for some advice as to what to do. I was looking at CPO as I have some extra trade fodder... and they have some decent deals going on. Just looking for some good ideas of what to do.
Thanks for your help!!

Wow, I thought my 10 yr old was tall at 4’ 10” lol

My 11year is son wantS to start playing golf and I’m looking for some clubs for him. I looked at the jr. box sets, but they seem to be to short for him as he is around 5’9-5 10”. So I’m looking for some advice as to what to do. I was looking at CPO as I have some extra trade fodder... and they have some decent deals going on. Just looking for some good ideas of what to do.
Thanks for your help!!
Your son is tall enough for adult clubs. But, at 11 years old, they may be too heavy for him. Maybe a box set of ladies clubs would be ideal? Of course, an 11 year old boy wouldn't want to have ladies clubs. But, if you can find a set that is neutral in color, he may not realize it.

Your son is tall enough for adult clubs. But, at 11 years old, they may be too heavy for him. Maybe a box set of ladies clubs would be ideal? Of course, an 11 year old boy wouldn't want to have ladies clubs. But, if you can find a set that is neutral in color, he may not realize it.

This is the way I’d go too.

Cool thanks.. never thought of going that direction!!

Another vote for ladies or senior clubs

Thanks for your help!!
My 13 yr old is only 5'3" and regular flex adult clubs even at 75g shaft and gripping down seem too heavy for him - so I bit the bullet. The problem with adult clubs is the swingweight and shaft for younger kids, and they don't like to have women's clubs - their friends make fun of them. But he's already too tall for women's clubs unless they are +1/2 inch.

I tried USKids, Ping Prodi G but once you are 5'10" - they don't seem to get distance - just too light and not enough mass. In fact, my son's instructor told me to junk the US Kids and Pings because they didn't have enough "there" there.

I would look for a lightweight shaft (depending on his strength), graphite, 58-60g, and senior flex and swingweight at C8 or a bit less. It's about the balance of the club - if the head is too heavy, it doesn't work. But get him fitted - some 11 yr olds are strong and can go to a stronger flex or handle a heavier head balance.

It's tough to buy preowned unless you find something like a Recoil ESX 460 senior flex with a decent swingweight.

I tried CPO - Rogue, Apex but no bueno for various reasons after he tried them at the store. Ended up with Mizuno Hot Metals, Recoil ESX 460 senior flex, 1/2 inch short, and 2 flat in lie, around C9 target - but you won't have the issue with length and lie. My son has played for about 8 months with lessons, so I know he loves the game and I can reshaft these for growth and strength.

Good luck - swing by a golf store and see what fits.

But I will say this - seeing your son with clubs that don't fit is a sinking, sh$tty feeling for a Dad - been there, biting bullet.

Last edited:
My son is almost 13 and is 5’7-5’8 at the moment. He plays full length Callaway Apex CF19’s with the stock True Temper Elevate 95 shafts in stiff flex. So ladies/seniors might be okay for your son, but they might make the game harder if they are too soft/light. Your son is big enough that some men’s stock options may be fine. Why not have him try some at a big box golf store?

My son (14) wanted to start playing golf. Unfortunately for me, he is A lefty, so re-shafting my clubs or letting him use my wife’s clubs was out of the question. He’s approx 5-7” and was in that in between stage for Jr’s and women’s. The additional side of not knowing if he’s going to enjoy the game and wanting to keep playing was another thing to consider too. I opted for the largest Jr set PGATSS had. They seem to do fine for him and he enjoys the game immensely. I’ll be buying him a bigger/better set in the very near future. Also, as mentioned, there are some women’s options out there that aren’t entirely feminine looking either. Definitely don’t over look that option. After all, what’s worse...playing with women’s clubs, or getting beat by a guy playing with women’s clubs? ;) Good luck and enjoy the time out on the course with your son.

Thanks for your help!!

For the value its hard to beat CPO right now and their used stuff is damn near brand new.

Also if you go the eBay route, look for 2nd swing on there. They might have something for you.

Back