Need to pick a Ball!

jwalker497

Reaction score
Handicap
I need some help in trying to determine what golf ball to play. I singed up for golfball selector but it seems to be way too subjective to be very reliable. Each time I do one of those, I get a different answer.

I shoot mid 80s, I try to work the ball both ways with mixed results. I want it all = , less spin off the driver, more spin on approaches, etc and I like softer balls. I would buy tour level balls but I don't think they would make much of a difference for me as my Swing is about 90mph.

I don't get to play as much as I'd like and when I do, I forget to really focus on what ball I am playing or how it acts.

I would gladly spend $45+ on a box of golf balls IF i knew they would provide me with that I am looking for as stated above. What I don't get is that most tour level balls balls spin more and trypically that means more spin all around = more spin on driver, more spin on irons, more spin on everything. While that may be good for working the ball, it's my understanding that more spin, off the driver or iron, means less distance. This is why I am looking for a ball that will provide straighter, longer ball flight off the driver with good to extrmely good spin off driver and wedges for control. Also I have heard that certain swing speeds wont benefit form tour level balls - is this true? Where do I fit in with a 90mph swing speed?

Any Ideas?
Any feedbak on the new Q-star?

The B330RX is a soft ball designed for slower swing speeds.

The B330RX is a soft ball designed for slower swing speeds.

Yep.

Why not click the banner for B-Fit at the top of the page? You can't beat talking live with an expert.

You're askin for a lot. If you're looking for low spin but a soft feel, then I'd agree with the B330-RX. I would say the B330-S, but your swing speed is a bit low for that ball and that ball does have a fair amount of spin off the tee. Try to find a ball fitting in your area or just try out a bunch of different balls until you find one you like.

Here are the contenders, so far.

NXT Tour
Wilson C25
Bridgestone E5
B330rx
Srixon Q-star
Srixon Tri-speed

Why not click the banner for B-Fit at the top of the page? You can't beat talking live with an expert.

Quoting myself. It's free.

Yep.

This and you might want to read up on the mystery ball testing we're doing here on THP. There might be some things you'll like about the mystery ball.

d e m o demo demo demo !!!!

This and you might want to read up on the mystery ball testing we're doing here on THP. There might be some things you'll like about the mystery ball.

Definitely read up on the Blind Ball Testing that's going on. Gives a lot of insight. Dont know what the ball is just yet though.

Also, take a look at the Srixon Q-Star thread, has a lot of good information there as well. I will dig up some links for you real quick.

Who says you have to quit considering other brands? I'm just saying that they will be able to give you better advice than most anybody here. It may be about their ball, but at least you'll the best Bridgestone ball to try.

im going through a similar quest.

wish they did ball fittings over here, they dont seem to be the norm quite yet.

the pro v1 seems to be winning it for me at the moment but i would love to find something a little cheaper with similar performance. (not asking for much eh)

I have been wanting to do the Bridgestone Challenge for a long time, and I just clicked through and found out that they will be at my local course next Thursday.

Thank you in advance for making me take the effort to click.

d e m o demo demo demo !!!!

This is the overall best option. Pick up a sleeve of assorted brands you want to try. If you have some friends who play a ball you might want to try, trade for a couple or see if you can buy one or two off them. You seem to know what you want the ball to do, you will just have to play with different ones until you find what works best.

You know, the B330-RXS might be better, just because it provides a little bit more greenside spin. Another great ball would be the Penta (a personal favorite of mine), which is a great all-around ball.

more spin doesnt always mean distance loss, its a myth, most normal everyday golfers actually need more spin to keep the ball in the air, get fit IMO

Where can you get fit for a golf ball? Does glofmsith or golf galaxy do it - is it any good?

Where can you get fit for a golf ball? Does glofmsith or golf galaxy do it - is it any good?

yes they should, its just as important playing the right ball as it is playing the right clubs, think about it, its the one piece of equipment you use on every shot, why not use the best for your game

I did a Bridgestone Ball Fitting and found the fitters to be extremely professional and honest. One person went up that previously played Pro V1's and the fitters said straight up.. "if you are comfortable with the pro v1's then stick with them, but here is what we offer that is comparable."

They told me I needed lessons instead of a different ball and gave me a 2 pack of E6's. Great experience and I definitely did need lessons.. (Popped two of their balls over the practice net they set up in front of the range).

Is there any place that will objectivley fit you w.o any brand loyalty?

I strongly suggest the Penta TP, the 5 layers actually do what they say they are going to do, there is a thread for reviews on it as well. It's all I play now, plus you can get 3 dozen for the price of 2 most places right now.

Is there any place that will objectivley fit you w.o any brand loyalty?

ya bridgestone, golfsmith, golfgalaxy. Bridgestone is very honest and if the ball your playing is better for you than theirs they will tell you that, also the big box stores have no brand loyality so your good to go

Back