New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

+1 for this.

Did you hit them with the std. S-taper lite shaft? Haven't seen these in person myself but were you particularly drawn to the long-, mid-, or short irons or were all mutually pleasing to hit and look at? Really got to get my hands on one of these sets soon!

I am going to post my bag mapping numbers when I get the email from TrackMan. I will add some additional thoughts responsive to your questions then.

They were all outstanding. Got some nice compliments from my playing partners about the contact sound.

Yes to stock setup. I'm more of a tour V kind of guy, but the S-taper lites were solid in there!

I have the Tour V's in my Hogan's and at least with that head I love the shaft. V's are a no-upcharge option but need to hit these first with the S-tapers as well. Let me know if you get to hit these with the V's and if it makes any difference.

I have the Tour V's in my Hogan's and at least with that head I love the shaft. V's are a no-upcharge option but need to hit these first with the S-tapers as well. Let me know if you get to hit these with the V's and if it makes any difference.
I'll definitely update if I do, which I would bet won't be for another month or so.

Just finished up a range session with the Cobra's. It was at a range I've not been to much. They use limited flight balls and I didn't have my Hogan's to compare but it was positive. I was making really good contact and had a pretty good ball flight. Even hit a few draws. The flight was still lower than the Hogan's but I think I can live with it.

I'm still gonna go back to CC because I really think heavier shafts are the ticket. I've gotta feel like I'm in slow motion to get the most out of these. If I really step on it I get a hook or a low fade. But I’m at least getting some confidence built up with them

I just received an email TrackMan report from my bag gapping. I am working on some swing changes. I also have hit a lot of balls and my club/ball speed was down a couple mph from what I have been seeing. I am not releasing the club real well right now because I am working on club path, so my ball flight a small push. That will straighten out. Finally, remember that the distances are based upon 4000 elevation, which is the elevation of Salt Lake City, where I play. For you Morgan Cuppers, this elevation is a little higher than what you will be playing at Sand Hollow (elevation of 3500-ish), but it still gives you an idea.

I will post screen shots of the summaries from TrackMan. The report does not show descent angle, crucial with these lower spinning irons, but the descents were all more than 45 degrees, so these balls will stop. I am extremely impressed with the gapping. The spin on the 9 iron is a little funky, relative to the others, but that might be user error. I hit 7 shots with each iron. Here are distance (carry), ball speed, spin and ball speed with each iron, from gw through 5 iron:

GW - 124.8 yards, 8318, 93.2
PW - 136.9 yards, 7317, 98.5
9i - 149.5 yards, 6518, 104
8i - 159.4 yards, 7389, 110.3
7i - 173.2 yards, 6496, 116.4
6i - 184.7 yards, 5355, 120.4
5i - 195.8 yards, 4396, 124.4

How much better does it get for a 5 index? The spin is actually pretty good, given the shafts and the profile of these irons.

To answer some of the other questions, these irons are pleasing to hit all the way through the set. They do not feel as soft as the Apex CF19 or a forged blade, but they feel great to me. There is some offset through the set and there is a little thickness to the top line, but they look good to my eye behind the ball. Overall, I am really excited about these irons and intend them to be in the bag for the year.

Here are the TrackMan summaries386C7A1C-C0E0-4C4F-8363-ED0FA331081C.png07DD6BCF-C158-437F-806D-2EF345A8528B.png65BF70F0-6170-4FA4-9913-0A215AB4AEAF.png

I just received an email TrackMan report from my bag gapping. I am working on some swing changes. I also have hit a lot of balls and my club/ball speed was down a couple mph from what I have been seeing. I am not releasing the club real well right now because I am working on club path, so my ball flight a small push. That will straighten out. Finally, remember that the distances are based upon 4000 elevation, which is the elevation of Salt Lake City, where I play. For you Morgan Cuppers, this elevation is a little higher than what you will be playing at Sand Hollow (elevation of 3500-ish), but it still gives you an idea.

I will post screen shots of the summaries from TrackMan. The report does not show descent angle, crucial with these lower spinning irons, but the descents were all more than 45 degrees, so these balls will stop. I am extremely impressed with the gapping. The spin on the 9 iron is a little funky, relative to the others, but that might be user error. I hit 7 shots with each iron. Here are distance (carry), ball speed, spin and ball speed with each iron, from gw through 5 iron:

How much better does it get for a 5 index? The spin is actually pretty good, given the shafts and the profile of these irons.

To answer some of the other questions, these irons are pleasing to hit all the way through the set. They do not feel as soft as the Apex CF19 or a forged blade, but they feel great to me. There is some offset through the set and there is a little thickness to the top line, but they look good to my eye behind the ball. Overall, I am really excited about these irons and intend them to be in the bag for the year.

Wow, both gapping and spin seem to be right on the nr. Actually considering the lofts I would say spin is really good (which is something I have seen mentioned in many reviews so this confirms that).

Numbers are looking great! You look set for the season with that setup!

Craig, those are excellent numbers and perfect gapping. I may have to try these in a fitting!!

For those who may be interested - the stock .370 $-taper lite 7 iron shaft weighs in at 92g (cut with no grip)....the .355 version at the same length is 98g.

They have virtually identical balance points in the 7 iron but I would guess that may change in the parallel tips as you move up and down the set.

Finally got a chance to hit these today. Loved the look and feel. Going back this week with my 18-MMC’s to do a side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I purchased an 8 iron with a Recoil 95 shaft a month or so ago. Quick little review of some swings with it today.

What I’m most impressed by is the distance consistency. At one point I think I hit 5 shots in a row that had the exact same ball speed. Will attach a picture below. A little bit of difference in yardage and height based solely on my delivery. I am getting a pretty strong penetrating flight but still averaging 100 ft peak height which is really good for me.
A few times I decided to really step on them and they are like rockets when you do. Feel with the recoil is superb. If I’m lucky enough to get into the MC, these will definitely be going in the bag.
Picture of some numbers

C2F8775B-71A5-4645-9A39-6D9FD5CFB99B.png

This thread is going to get me in trouble. I love the look and feel of these and keep telling myself that I don't need them!!

So I purchased an 8 iron with a Recoil 95 shaft a month or so ago. Quick little review of some swings with it today.

What I’m most impressed by is the distance consistency. At one point I think I hit 5 shots in a row that had the exact same ball speed. Will attach a picture below. A little bit of difference in yardage and height based solely on my delivery. I am getting a pretty strong penetrating flight but still averaging 100 ft peak height which is really good for me.
A few times I decided to really step on them and they are like rockets when you do. Feel with the recoil is superb. If I’m lucky enough to get into the MC, these will definitely be going in the bag.
Picture of some numbers

View attachment 8921916

That is informative and interesting, @Lions81. your ball speed and mine with the 8 iron are almost identical. I averaged just over 110. I am seeing the same thing as you, very consistent ball speed and distance, which is crucial in our iron play.

Picture of some numbers

View attachment 8921916

This is fantastic data. I wish all ranges had Trackman built in. Is that a good yardage for you or longer than what your used to seeing?

That is informative and interesting, @Lions81. your ball speed and mine with the 8 iron are almost identical. I averaged just over 110. I am seeing the same thing as you, very consistent ball speed and distance, which is crucial in our iron play.

Its definitely very promising, especially with a hollow body iron. Could have thrown a blanket over most of my shots. Was a lot of fun.

Picture of some numbers

View attachment 8921916

Is the recoil 95 your regular gamer shaft? That consistency is fantastic.

This is fantastic data. I wish all ranges had Trackman built in. Is that a good yardage for you or longer than what your used to seeing?

The 150 number is pretty standard for me with these types of irons. 160+ is not. I swung a little faster than normal on that one for fun which I don't often do with irons.

Is the recoil 95 your regular gamer shaft? That consistency is fantastic.

I have played the recoil 95 and the elevate 95 this year. Enjoy both a lot. I actually saw that Cobra is now offering the Elevate 95s in these too. Tough decisions....

Picture of some numbers

View attachment 8921916
@Lions81 what sort of spin rates were you seeing? Be interested to see in comparison to @Tenputt numbers.

@Lions81 what sort of spin rates were you seeing? Be interested to see in comparison to @Tenputt numbers.

Unfortunately that's really the only stat Trackman Range doesn't provide. I would say I'm generally a mid-low spin iron player, and I think what I was seeing today would be similar. Don't think I would have any problems holding greens at all with 100 ft peak heights though.

Looking at those numbers, isn't the spin on 9-GW a little weird? The 9 is spinning like the 7, and the PW like the 8. Seems low to me??

Back