Next Ryder Cup Captains

Give it to Furyk so he doesn't have to play next time.

Seriously, though, I'll change my mind and go with Stricker.

I think someone like Mark O'meara would do well, Tom Lehman, John Cook, and Rocco would be a few of my other choices. We need someone with a little fire leading us.

Rory Sabatini (runs for the door) ?

Boo Weekly would have them boys kicking arse on the fairways and bass fishing in the evenings :bomb:

Listening to the PGA channel on XM during my ride in this morning.

First I had no idea and sorry if it was mentioned here already that the criteria to be a Ryder Cup captain is you have to be a major winner. What do the two have to do with each other?

Also an interesting interview with Ted Bishop who said he had conversation with Phil at the Scottish Open and heard the same comments about player involvement then. He encouraged him to address with Watson.

Seems to be a lot of finger pointing right now.

I think first our players have to care more. I just don't see the passion the Euro side has. I also would like a better selection process so that the right guys can be assembled.

As far as captain I'm partial to Raymond Floyd. I know he's older, but would love to see his passion and also think the guys would play hard for him

I think first our players have to care more. I just don't see the passion the Euro side has. I also would like a better selection process so that the right guys can be assembled.

As far as captain I'm partial to Raymond Floyd. I know he's older, but would love to see his passion and also think the guys would play hard for him

I think the guys that were first timers or hadnt won a Ryder Cup before, were really into it and fired up. The older guys just kind of went through the motions. You like to think some of the fire from the young kids would rub off but it didnt.

I think the guys that were first timers or hadnt won a Ryder Cup before, were really into it and fired up. The older guys just kind of went through the motions. You like to think some of the fire from the young kids would rub off but it didnt.

Exactly my point. I just felt bubba & Phil were dead weight emotionally & it rubbed off. No way Rory handles Ricky like he did on Sunday with a different capt or environment

Exactly my point. I just felt bubba & Phil were dead weight emotionally & it rubbed off. No way Rory handles Ricky like he did on Sunday with a different capt or environment

I have said it before but the thing that bugged me the most was when Spieth was imploding in the most important match on Sunday, Watson was nowhere to be found. Who do you think Spieth would respond to better? Andy North (no disrespect to him) or Tom Watson?

First I had no idea and sorry if it was mentioned here already that the criteria to be a Ryder Cup captain is you have to be a major winner. What do the two have to do with each other?
Antiquated rules made by antiquated men in an antiquated age.

Not sure the captain or environment woulda made that rout any different. It was, after all, a singles match.

Not sure the captain or environment woulda made that rout any different. It was, after all, a singles match.

I disagree. Look at the PGA Championship. Granted they were not in the same group but all the pressure was there bc Rory was right there.

I think a great captain can settle the nerves & Fire you up at the same time. Also think a team environment where all the guys are pushing towards that one goal helps. Not saying Ricky wins bc Rory is the better player, but it isn't a route & who knows how that motivates the other guys.

I wonder if jet lag was an issue.

More likely too much alcohol on the plane than jet lag.

Come on. These guys, both American and European travel the globe week in week out and bet you don't hear them whining about jet lag.

I think Darren would be a strong pick for our guys, but who the hell you would pick for the US I don't know. Def not Phil. He has burnt his bridges by mouthing off and there would be players who prob would not want to be part of his team now. Any captain needs to have balls of steel and not care one bit who he upsets by leaving them out of a match or two, and the twelve guys in the team need to man up and accept that the team is way bigger than anyones individual ego. If they can't accept that, they should decline their place on the team.

Azinger would be a safe bet, but whether his plan from his last win would have worked last weekend I doubt it.

Ultimately due to the way the teams get picked by the rankings can cause big issues. Just because someone is a stunning stroke play golfer and can win everything going does not mean he will be any good at matchplay. They are both very different animals.

The Captain can only do so much. Yes he can shout and swear, kiss & cuddle where necessary, but if his guys play like a bunch of idiots they will lose.

I disagree. Look at the PGA Championship. Granted they were not in the same group but all the pressure was there bc Rory was right there.

I think a great captain can settle the nerves & Fire you up at the same time. Also think a team environment where all the guys are pushing towards that one goal helps. Not saying Ricky wins bc Rory is the better player, but it isn't a route & who knows how that motivates the other guys.

I think Rory was -8 when it ended after 14 and started off -6 after 6. He was on fire. Rickie could've played with Walker and still lost that day.

if we are going with an older guy, I say Jack they would def want to win for him

Antiquated rules made by antiquated men in an antiquated age.
Absolutely is and needs to changed. Steve Stricker by that rule would never be eligible and in my opinion would be a mistake.

Darren Clarke for Europe :)

★sent from somewhere★

Back