North of Myrtle Beach recommendations

milehighgolfer

Hacking at Altitude
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Staying in Oak Island area just south of Wilmington in two weeks. Need to form a golfing plan for around the NC/SC border. Played Oyster Bay many years ago during a guys trip. There are numerous other courses around that area. Which to avoid and which are must play? Thanks

Also looking to repeat those guys trips from decades ago and was looking at Legends Resort. Anyone stay/play there?

Id still probably include Oyster Bay fwiw

Good recs from @PKorf. I don’t have any poor experiences at the places he mentioned avoiding, but agree that the big cat courses at Ocean Ridge Plantation are nice. Bald Head Island is fun, but I didn’t think it was worth the price or the hassle.

Good recs from @PKorf. I don’t have any poor experiences at the places he mentioned avoiding, but agree that the big cat courses at Ocean Ridge Plantation are nice. Bald Head Island is fun, but I didn’t think it was worth the price or the hassle.
Can you play Bald Head if you are not staying on the island? Thought it took a "guest membership" from a property owner.

Rate the Big Cats courses. If only one round which course?
Leopard Chase #1 Tigers Eye #2......the other two are nice. but not as nice. Lions Paw is shorter and id reccommend for newer golfers and Panthers Run is similar. The first two however are phenomenal.

Can you play Bald Head if you are not staying on the island? Thought it took a "guest membership" from a property owner.
you can play it. But its a pain in the ass. Literally. no vehicles allowed on the island.

Id go to Rivers Edge or Cape Fear National first:LOL:

I'm in Wilmington! Let me know, maybe we can get together!

A buddy’s Dad hooked us up with some sort of offer he had. He’s a property owner in Ocean Isle Beach, but I’m not sure who the offer was through. It was a challenging and entertaining course, but not worth the long day with ferry ride each way.

BHI is only worth it if you are staying on the island and even then it's kind of pricey.

@JB it would make a great location for a THP event
BHI.jpg

Rivers Edge and Leopards Chase it is. With Oyster Bay if I can pry a third round out of my girlfriend.

BHI is only worth it if you are staying on the island and even then it's kind of pricey.

@JB it would make a great location for a THP event

Done many an event in Myrtle Beach.
Absolutely brutal for the masses to get to.

What’s wrong with flying Allegiant?!

My love for THP was really born in Myrtle Beach at one of those events. So much fun but yes a little expensive to fly in to.

Glen Dornach is a lot of fun. Grand Dunes I highly recommend if you want to go a little further south. Carolina National is pretty good (Right off 211 before you get to 17 when leaving Oak Island). Also they rebuilt the club house on Oak Island, course is not a bad track if you want to limit travel.

I don't know where some of these guys are getting their information. The "Big Cats" courses have not been in good shape for several years. I'm talking weeds in the fairways, bumpy and sparse greens. Oyster Bay has had problems for a long time but the new superintendent is trying to make it better. Last October the two best conditioned courses we played were Crow Creek and Sandpiper Bay. Thistle is an outstanding track and so is Glen Dornoch & Rivers Edge. If you really want to learn about what courses to play, visit myrtlebeachgolftalk.com.

Staying in Oak Island area just south of Wilmington in two weeks. Need to form a golfing plan for around the NC/SC border. Played Oyster Bay many years ago during a guys trip. There are numerous other courses around that area. Which to avoid and which are must play? Thanks

Also looking to repeat those guys trips from decades ago and was looking at Legends Resort. Anyone stay/play there?

There's 3 nice courses headed 30 minutes towards Wilmington. They are in Leland, NC. Nice area!

I don't know where some of these guys are getting their information. The "Big Cats" courses have not been in good shape for several years. I'm talking weeds in the fairways, bumpy and sparse greens. Oyster Bay has had problems for a long time but the new superintendent is trying to make it better. Last October the two best conditioned courses we played were Crow Creek and Sandpiper Bay. Thistle is an outstanding track and so is Glen Dornoch & Rivers Edge. If you really want to learn about what courses to play, visit myrtlebeachgolftalk.com.
That’s too bad. I was down there March 2019 and played Tiger’s Eye, Oyster Bay, Bald Head Island, Glen Dornoch, and Brick Landing. Didn’t have any complaints with Tiger’s Eye, but haven’t played any of the other Ocean Ridge courses in the last 5 years.

Scratch the Big Cats then. Looks like the entire development has been in trouble. Probably to much to take care of when your only half sold. The covid shutdown probably didn't help.

Rivers Edge is a definite. It looks real sporty.

Looking forward to playing with @J.B. Cobb III

Last edited:
Best course in North Myrtle is Tidewater...In the Wilmington area I'd check out Cape Fear National.

Tidewater, Thistle, and The Pearl would be my recommendations in that area.

A lot of people are saying Rivers Edge here and on another forum. It must be nice!

Has anyone ever played The International GC of MB? Looks real nice and the deals are pretty to play there. I am going to be in MB end of next week to see my folks and want to try some place new.

Played 40+ courses in the Myrtle Beach area. A few things to keep in mind:

1. What condition is course in? When is maintenance scheduled for? Look at course reviews from players who played within past 7 days or so as respects condition.

2. What are tee time intervals? If less than 10 minutes I would pass on the course as play will be slow. If times are 10+ minutes make certain they don’t do any “squeezes”.

If I were playing one course north of the Grand Strand it would be Glen Dornoch.

Back