Odyssey Tank Putters Review Thread

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
In for the latest round of forum testing are the Odyssey Tank Putters. Putters have gone out to a group of THP forum members to put to the test and offer up their feedback on the course and putting greens.

This thread will serve as a spot for the testers to post their feedback and thoughts, as well as a place for anyone to share their experiences with the Odyssey Tank Putters or post questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be putting the Odyssey Tank 2-ball Versa to the test in this latest round of forum testing. I might be the only person in the golfing world who has NEVER rolled a 2-ball style putter. So, for me, this style is me branching out a bit. However, I am comforted by something that I really enjoy, that being a slightly longer putter and one that is counterbalanced.

My 2-ball Tank is at 38", and initial thought have my quite impressed. Nice hefty headweight, and the counterbalance through the butt end of the grip and back weight has it feeling quite nice in hand. The versa is a new one to me as well, having not gamed one in the past, the 2 ball sets up quite nice to the eye. I will be interested to see how this style works for me with the solid circle alignment aides compared to others that I have gamed recently.

I will say this, the 2-ball definitely looks MUCH better in the Versa paint scheme vs the other versions I have seen in the past. The contrast white to black and back to white with the 2-ball alignment system does seem like it could be beneficial...but we shall see how it translates from my initial thoughts on the look to the course.

38" is a bit longer than I normally game, so I plan to hold this one as I would my traditional putter at 36" and let the extra shaft length extend through my hands and act as intended, as a back weight.

photo1_zps8d9505dc.jpg

photo2_zps63c3db27.jpg

photo3_zps63eba864.jpg

photo4_zps7961a4fd.jpg

photo21_zpsa2cc1b78.jpg

photo11_zps2ad693ed.jpg

Love the putter ryan

Nice pics dude. Ever gamed a 2Ball before?

That's a sweet looking putter Ryan. Looking forward to seeing how it performs for you.

No sir. Might be one of the only people that have never gamed one.

No sir. Might be one of the only people that have never gamed one.

I havent.

Looks similar to a putter u tested last year and loved. Got a feeling about this one

I have a feeling that he hasn't, and that he feels like the only person on earth who hasn't rolled a two-ball putter yet.

Not sure how I know that...

I think you are going to like it. It's a design I always do well with when I try, but never can commit to buying.

I think you are going to like it. It's a design I always do well with when I try, but never can commit to buying.
Will be interesting to see how it goes for me, especially since I loved a similar version with Squares for the past 5 months.

Sweet pictures Ryan! I was kinda hoping I could get in this testing and test that exact model.

I love the Versa scheme and the 2-ball is such a classic head style. Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the counter balance and how it works for you.

I havent.

Looks similar to a putter u tested last year and loved. Got a feeling about this one
Exactly dude, should be interesting to put that marketing theory to the test.

I think the Versa will add something there for you opposed to just a straight up 2ball from the past. You have that added feature to rely on a little.

I keep going back and looking at the pics of the Versa Tank two-ball. I really like the look of that putter.

I was not a fan of the regular two ball, even though it was really functional. (I did like the F-7. The wings seemed to help the look for me.)

This putter is very nice looking. I'll have to find one in person.

I think the Versa will add something there for you opposed to just a straight up 2ball from the past. You have that added feature to rely on a little.
I think that the Versa alignment will greatly benefit me more than just the 2ball alignment method. I tend to rely on and prefer more straight back/forward lines on my alignment aides, and the sharp lines of the black contrasting with the white is something that I really like on this one.

Sweet pics War! I'm curious to see how gripping down on a longer counter balanced putter will help with stability.

Sweet pics War! I'm curious to see how gripping down on a longer counter balanced putter will help with stability.
I have done this many times int he past, with other putters. I have found success with it, but lately have enjoyed heavier/counterbalanced putter at a more regular length of 36" (my preferred length).

Looks great Ryan, UPS tracking tells me mine will be here on Monday, it'll be headed straight to the practice green for sure!

Nice start to the thread War. I am curious to see which one I will be putting through its paces. Can't wait to hear what you think of yours, especially considering that it is a new style for you.

That 2-ball is really intriguing. The Versa is a bit busy in the real life pictures with the two ball alignment, but I'd try it either way. Do you think having the Versa scheme helps above and beyond the two ball alignment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks great War...I rolled the #7 version with Superstroke grip last week at GG and was very impressed

That 2-ball is really intriguing. The Versa is a bit busy in the real life pictures with the two ball alignment, but I'd try it either way. Do you think having the Versa scheme helps above and beyond the two ball alignment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the combination of the two will be much better than just the plain 2ball or plain Versa alignment aides.

Great looking putter War. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. And, for the record, I too have never used a two ball per before. This will be interesting to follow.

I will be putting the Odyssey Tank #7 Putter to the test in this latest round of forum testing. I have never rolled a putter of this nature. I have always been more comfortable with Mallet putters. I currently use a Odyssey White Hot Pro #9 Mallet putter with a SuperStroke Slim 3.0 Grip (I switched to the SuperStroke grip last year and absolutely love it).

My #7 Tank is at 38", and I do like the look of the putter. I do like the definitely larger weighted head (400 grams). It does feel nice to hold even thought its 3 inches longer that the putter I normally use (35"). I heard a review on the PGA Radio Network that it has been used by a few golfers in Europe because of the slower speed to the greens in Europe compared to the US greens. I wanted to put that theory to the test. Played a course today that the greens are normally pretty slow and it definitely allows you generate more speed for a slower green.

The only thing for me that made it a little uncomfortable was the grip. I got the bigger SuperStroke grip to make me hold the grip much less tight which lead to my stroke being much smoother. I do like the counterbalance weight in the grip and would love to see how that would translate to a SuperStroke grip that the show said Odyssey and SuperStroke worked together to make the SuperStroke grips with the counterbalance weight.

I will have to put to more runs to see if the smaller size grip is able for me to adjust to and get a good feel.

Attachments

• IMG_1333[1].jpg
    IMG_1333[1].jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1334[1].jpg
    IMG_1334[1].jpg
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1335[1].jpg
    IMG_1335[1].jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1336[1].jpg
    IMG_1336[1].jpg