Official 2012-2013 NBA Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate those numbers. I'm not a LeBron "hater" by any means, but the numbers don't mean anything unless LeBron can go on a tear close to 5 more rings in 7 years. LeBron is a sure-fire HOF'er, but It's too early for the MJ comparisons. However, the best player in the NBA will ALWAYS be compared to MJ while they're in their prime.

I agree jank. I just thought they were a little eye opening personally, because of the way Lebron has been portrayed the last couple years.

Not sure how reliable the info is, but I saw this on a buddy's FB. Definitely a little eye opening for me if the numbers are true.

43a8d371-0c86-48d9.jpg

I wonder why they dont make any mention of the fact that Jordan went to college?

I wonder why they dont make any mention of the fact that Jordan went to college?

What?! Who cares that MJ continued his education, developed his game under one of the greatest coaches in history, and won a NCAA championship?

What?! Who cares that MJ continued his education, developed his game under one of the greatest coaches in history, and won a NCAA championship?

I was speaking more about the age they entered the league. And add to the fact that he missed almost his entire 2nd season. People are trying to compare apples to oranges.

That's a good point. One could deduce that from looking at his age versus number of seasons played, but I see your point. I think college would have done a lot of good for Lebron. The picture is obviously Lebron biased, I just thought it was interesting.

That's a good point. One could deduce that from looking at his age versus number of seasons played, but I see your point. I think college would have done a lot of good for Lebron. The picture is obviously Lebron biased, I just thought it was interesting.

Correct. 2 more seasons played and in MJ's 2nd season he was lost with injury. People are trying to compare two different eras of basketball to create a new icon (the league needs one badly), before they have the resume to support that. They are different players, in a different league, with different rules.

I was speaking more about the age they entered the league. And add to the fact that he missed almost his entire 2nd season. People are trying to compare apples to oranges.

Yep im with you. I just dont think learning from dean smith and winning a title (and coming up big in the title game) should be overlooked on Jordan's resume.

But yea definitely apples to oranges...and yes, Only six full seasons for MJ, although he did make it back in time to drop 63 points on the celtics in the playoffs in year two. (A current NBA record)

I believe he also had a defensive player of the year on his resume by age 27 also.

Ahhh, im gonna feed the fire. Ill leave now.

You are absolutely correct JB and I don't like the comparisons at all TBH, apples to oranges, I just wanted a few thoughts on the pic as I found it interesting. One thing Lebron doesn't seem like he'll ever have is that killer instinct to do whatever it takes to win. This is one area (of many) where I think he would have benefited going to college. I think he's got way too big of an ego and sees himself as a celebrity more than he should.

There are some interesting thoughts on the subject of what could a guy like Jordan do now with the different rules that are in place. I am wondering if some of our younger fans realize how much the game has changed in recent years. When the rules changed defensively quite a few stars of the game were asked what a guy like Jordan could do under today's rules and many of them said he would average 50. Similar to the NFL to get more offensive, the NBA started that trend. To make great players even "greater" offensively.

You just cannot compare the two eras despite what many fans want to try and do. It is a completely different brand of basketball.

You are absolutely correct JB and I don't like the comparisons at all TBH, apples to oranges, I just wanted a few thoughts on the pic as I found it interesting. One thing Lebron doesn't seem like he'll ever have is that killer instinct to do whatever it takes to win. This is one area (of many) where I think he would have benefited going to college. I think he's got way too big of an ego and sees himself as a celebrity more than he should.

Maybe. Not sure. I know a lot of folks feel that way. Nobody should take away from his abilities, because the guy is a special player and arguably the best in the league currently. However the comparisons get ridiculous when the rules are completely different for offensive players.

1985-86
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$630,000
1987-88
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$845,000
1988-89
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$2,000,000
1990-91
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$2,500,000
1991-92
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$3,250,000
1992-93
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$4,000,000
1993-94
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$4,000,000
1994-95
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$3,850,000
1995-96
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$3,850,000
1996-97
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$30,140,000
1997-98
Chicago Bulls
NBA
$33,140,000
2001-02
Washington Wizards
NBA
$1,000,000
2002-03
Washington Wizards
NBA
$1,030,000
Career
$90,235,000

I like this chart better. EARN YOUR MONEY (looking at you Jrue Holiday). Sure, times have changed, and players get paid more, but earn your money, then you have a case to gripe. Another thing I hate is how much hate T-Mac gets for not getting past the first round. The dude was a BEAST in the playoffs, just didn't have much to work with. His health was a shame.

There are some interesting thoughts on the subject of what could a guy like Jordan do now with the different rules that are in place. I am wondering if some of our younger fans realize how much the game has changed in recent years. When the rules changed defensively quite a few stars of the game were asked what a guy like Jordan could do under today's rules and many of them said he would average 50. Similar to the NFL to get more offensive, the NBA started that trend. To make great players even "greater" offensively.

You just cannot compare the two eras despite what many fans want to try and do. It is a completely different brand of basketball.

I always thought this a great article by DA on rule changes and defensive philosophies adapting to them.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/04/22/aldridge.defenses/

I always thought this a great article by DA on rule changes and defensive philosophies adapting to them.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/04/22/aldridge.defenses/

Without question. That article points out a lot of the changes. The biggest being the ability for basically any individual to get to the hoop if they choose. Larry Brown (who is a genius when he wants to be) makes the joke that MJ would average 50 in todays game. Its funny cause its true. There have been countless guys say the same thing. Many feel as though the rules have helped the flow of the game because players are far less disciplined now both offensively and defensively than they were a couple of decades ago. Others feel as though it has aided to create superstars offensively and too much emphasis has been put on guard play.

Those that don't like the Joe Johnson deal, should sit back and be patient. I spoke to someone with them yesterday and it is all part of their 2 year plan. Personally I liked the trade. Scoring is needed on that team and he does that. He has a multiyear deal that is pretty high, but cap space was never an issue for them. They have plenty of money and even if they sign their PG, will still have money to spend if needed. The NBA has shown that if you grab 3 stars and win, others will want to come and play for the exception and I think many teams are going to try and mimic that philosophy.

Coming at this deal from the Atlanta side, Danny Ferry has had a real good week since being hired as GM. He's managed to get out from under Joe Johnson's contract in exchange for expiring contracts, and he's also gotten rid of Marvin Williams in exchange for Devin Harris. Now, they will take a step backwards next year, but they have opened about $30 mil of cap space for 2013-2014.

I don't follow them that closely, but in their current configuration, the Hawks were probably not going further than the 2nd round of the playoffs...at least this provides a shake-up needed to go another direction.

I agree about the comparing across eras thing. I was reading the other day and the guy was comparing Lebron to another player of a different generation and he brought up some stats that made me realize that you just can't put those comparisons in perspective.

Oohh Jason Terry and the Celtics are working out the details of a multi-year deal. Lose Ray Allen, pick up Jason Terry? Not too shabby.

Oohh Jason Terry and the Celtics are working out the details of a multi-year deal. Lose Ray Allen, pick up Jason Terry? Not too shabby.

I am not a Terry fan, but if anybody can get him to fit a system its KG.

If true. I believe we'll see another game 7 in the eastern conference between these two.

I think he doesnt have a very complete game, but the things he can do, he does pretty well. They are going to need some help scoring the ball off the bench, and I do like him in that role.

It will be interesting to see how the rotation plays out with Bradley being out for the start of the season. I really dont like Terry as a starter in any, way, shape or form.

Agreed x 100. I'm not a Terry fan either but I think at this point it makes more sense for them to pay him that than Allen.

Deron Williams signs extension with Nets

Deron Williams signs extension with Nets

Had to expect that after the JJ deal. Now if they add Howard, they will be where they "want to be. Although they are VASTLY overpaying for Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back