Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boom! there you go man! I actually agree with you on everything except perhaps the first one. Is Alabama the best team in the country? Probably and according to the current system yes but until you have a playoff system there isn't a definite answer. Heck even with a playoff system there could be an upset where the 'best team in the country' would lose. With all sports, it's not always the best team who wins, it's the best/hottest team on a particular night who wins.

And this is why I want a playoff system. With the current system there is always doubt, always a massive number of people sayng the bowls got it wrong. With a seeded +1, it is a lot harder to back up that kind of talk.

And this is why I want a playoff system. With the current system there is always doubt, always a massive number of people sayng the bowls got it wrong. With a seeded +1, it is a lot harder to back up that kind of talk.
UNLESS, you have a case like last year where there were two clear cut, undefeated teams.

If they are truly the best two, they shouldn't have a problem preforming when it counts against the weaker teams.
UNLESS, you have a case like last year where there were two clear cut, undefeated teams.

If they are truly the best two, they shouldn't have a problem preforming when it counts against the weaker teams.
You missed my point, you said with the current system there is always a doubt. But in cases like last year, there is without a doubt that the BCS had it right and had the #1 vs #2 teams playing.

But at the same time, I do believe the BCS got it right this year. The two best teams played last night, and the better of the two won. If LSU had beaten Bama by, say a score of 24-6 in regulation in the first meeting, there would have been no rematch. But, they didnt, and Alabama got it done when it mattered.

Give me 8 in a playoff and all the others can play in regular bowls.

This would be bliss. Bliss I tell you.

Isee what you mean. Let me rephrase. There is OFTEN doubt. Like in 2004
You missed my point, you said with the current system there is always a doubt. But in cases like last year, there is without a doubt that the BCS had it right and had the #1 vs #2 teams playing.

But at the same time, I do believe the BCS got it right this year. The two best teams played last night, and the better of the two won. If LSU had beaten Bama by, say a score of 24-6 in regulation in the first meeting, there would have been no rematch. But, they didnt, and Alabama got it done when it mattered.

I think it is more or less pointless for me to debate my views here. I have an unpopular opinion, and that isn't going to change. G'Day gents.

I feel you, hint why I stopped posting earlier, and we even have opposite views. Heh

Plus I'm in class and cant keep up haha

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I feel so alone. I don't want a playoff system. I like the bowl games.

I feel so alone. I don't want a playoff system. I like the bowl games.
I like the bowl games to, I'm thinking a small playoff or a +1 type system would be good.

I think a +1 is as good as the power brokers will let us have, and I will gladly take it.

Who here thinks that Arkansas is a legit top 5 team in the country? I think Arkansas might be the 3rd or 4th best team in the Country. To bad they had to play Bama and LSU this year.

I actually think Arkansas is as close an equal to Oklahoma State as there is in the SEC. Both teams played Texas A&M and Kansas State. OSU beat A&M by 1 and KState by 7, Arkansas beat A&M by 4 and KState by 13. Not concerned with the actual point margins, but very similar victories.

Arkansas lost to Bama 38-14 and lost to LSU 41-17...that is what those defenses were doing to a high-powered offensive teams with marginal defenses. I'm not saying OkState couldn't have hung with Bama or LSU (the normal one, not whatever shell that was last night), but I think either team beats OSU 8 out of 10 time.

Playoff, plus one, or BCS bowl system we have now, I really wish they would wrap these games up before the second week of January. Annoying that they drag these games out so far....

I would be all for a 4 team playoff. Seems like 8 is too many though.

And just a reminder, the SEC pushed for a plus 1 type system a while back and it was shot down by other conferences - I think including the Big 12.

I would be all for a 4 team playoff. Seems like 8 is too many though.

And just a reminder, the SEC pushed for a plus 1 type system a while back and it was shot down by other conferences - I think including the Big 12.

Last I read, B12 will support it now, Pac-12 and Big 10 are the questions but as long as they keep their Rose Bowl arrangement, they are at least open to discussing it this time.

I think a +1 is as good as the power brokers will let us have, and I will gladly take it.

I actually think Arkansas is as close an equal to Oklahoma State as there is in the SEC. Both teams played Texas A&M and Kansas State. OSU beat A&M by 1 and KState by 7, Arkansas beat A&M by 4 and KState by 13. Not concerned with the actual point margins, but very similar victories.

Arkansas lost to Bama 38-14 and lost to LSU 41-17...that is what those defenses were doing to a high-powered offensive teams with marginal defenses. I'm not saying OkState couldn't have hung with Bama or LSU (the normal one, not whatever shell that was last night), but I think either team beats OSU 8 out of 10 time.

I like OSU, I like Justin Blackmon, I like their offense, but they might win 1 out of 10 times against either of those teams. Again, look at what LSU did to Oregon.

I think Texas and USC will be very strong next year. One of those teams will be playing Bama or LSU next year in the post season for sure. I'll be interested in seeing how it works out.

Last I read, B12 will support it now, Pac-12 and Big 10 are the questions but as long as they keep their Rose Bowl arrangement, they are at least open to discussing it this time.

Yeah I think now that the BIG12 has a new commissioner, he is for it. Perhaps it'll be revisited.

I like OSU, I like Justin Blackmon, I like their offense, but they might win 1 out of 10 times against either of those teams. Again, look at what LSU did to Oregon.

I think Texas and USC will be very strong next year. One of those teams will be playing Bama or LSU next year in the post season for sure. I'll be interested in seeing how it works out.

Very interested to see how a motivated, bowl eligible Southern California comes out next year. With Barkley back, they may be a force.

Very interested to see how a motivated, bowl eligible Southern California comes out next year. With Barkley back, they may be a force.
I agree. I'd give the nodd to USC over Texas right now although they have a lot of things going in their favor over the next couple of years, QB not being one of them. :beat-up:

Apparently there are a ton of LSU fans stuck in New Orleans...

Spoiler
Somebody painted a 50 yard line around the city limits and now they cant get across it. :banana:

Spoiler
Somebody painted a 50 yard line around the city limits and now they cant get across it. :banana:

I saw a variation of that a little while ago and have used it several times. :act-up:

Spoiler

HAHAHA that one almost got me in trouble :blob:

Ultimately what gets me about this argument is the idea of "what if"... I happen think these two teams would have ended up in the championship game in a +1 format as well. BUT... what if Oregon played LSU again? What if OKState had played against Bama? Until we have an actual playoff system we are constantly left to opinions instead of facts.

That being said, the BCS is one of the best advertising campaigns in the history of sports- and I don't mean the $$$ in the bowl games. What else produces the drama, discussion, opinions, and suspense as the BCS? Who is going to get in? Who is left out? How would OSU do against Bama? Who has the "rosier" color glasses? We talked endlessly about the this game for the past 40 days, and we will continue to talk about this game (and the "what ifs") until next season. The BCS is a hype magnet.

I want a +1 system and I want teams to decide the what if's for me.

Complete aside: Teams change so much throughout a season that it is tough to compare a game early in the season (LSU vs Oregon) to where teams finish the season. Just because it's the only thing we have to compare, doesn't automatically make it a great comparison.

Complete aside: Teams change so much throughout a season that it is tough to compare a game early in the season (LSU vs Oregon) to where teams finish the season. Just because it's the only thing we have to compare, doesn't automatically make it a great comparison.

Really great point that can apply to many different sports, not just college football, but it probably applies here too. That's the mystery of sports, sometimes we'll never know :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back