Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
no doubt I go Halladay or Lee

Yeah, no doubt the guy has been succesfull, but these stats do not make him a top choice right now in my opinion.

12 Seasons (28 Series) 18 9 .667 3.90

Ironically his stats in the world series are worse than his stats in the ALDS. Only 5-4 with an ERA over 4.

Last edited:
actually if he was still playing I'd take John Smoltz or even though I cant stand him Curt Schilling

which pitcher you talking about JB?

Yeah, no doubt the guy has been succesfull, but these stats do not make him a top choice right now in my opinion.

12 Seasons (28 Series) 18 9 .667 3.90

Ironically his stats in the world series are worse than his stats in the NLDS. Only 5-4 with an ERA over 4.

which pitcher you talking about JB?

Pettite. No doubt the guy has been succesfull, but those stats hardly make him the legend in the post season that many portray him to be. It seems more to be a part of winning some really good games, and being on a high run scoring team for a whole lot of others. Good yes. Very Good at times. But 18-9 with an ERA of 4 is hardly legendary in my opinion.

If I needed to have a pitcher start a game 3 out of 7 on the road, there's no one else I would rather have in that situation.
Are you saying out of active pitchers because I might take Chris Carpenter or Josh Beckett. Petitte is right up there though.
Really? Over guys like Halladay, Santana, Timmy, etc..?

The guys ERA is barely under 4.00 in the postseason.
Johans postseason stats are pretty similar to Andys but Petitte has pitched 4 times the amount of games. We still havent seen the other two in the post season so its hard to say but I think they could hold there own.

Are you saying out of active pitchers because I might take Chris Carpenter or Josh Beckett. Petitte is right up there though.

Johans postseason stats are pretty similar to Andys but Petitte has pitched 4 times the amount of games. We still havent seen the other two in the post season so its hard to say but I think they could hold there own.

WHile I agree, but that is more about what team someone is on. Johnny Damon has a couple of rings, but right now I can think of about 20 guys that I would rather be playing the outfield in the postseason.

Pettite was a very good postseason pitcher. 18 wins is huge. But part of that goes back to flaws in the game. Because i dont care what era MLB is, 18-9 with an ERA of 3.9 or 5-4 in the world series with an ERA of over 4 is hardly legendary.

thats what I thought but you quoted my post about Hallady and Lee. and mentioned NLDS instead of ALDS. I agree about Petitte a little past his prime

Pettite. No doubt the guy has been succesfull, but those stats hardly make him the legend in the post season that many portray him to be. It seems more to be a part of winning some really good games, and being on a high run scoring team for a whole lot of others. Good yes. Very Good at times. But 18-9 with an ERA of 4 is hardly legendary in my opinion.

JB said:
Really? Over guys like Halladay, Santana, Timmy, etc..?

The guys ERA is barely under 4.00 in the postseason.

So you would rather these guys start a game 3? Personally I would rather they start game 1 or 2.

So you would rather these guys start a game 3? Personally I would rather they start game 1 or 2.

I listed 3 pitchers, 1, 2, and 3. YOu did not say we were picking a rotation, but just you would pick him to start game 3. In the DS, that is a huge game. But I could pick about another 7 that I would prefer in my opinion that I think allow less runs.

JB said:
I listed 3 pitchers, 1, 2, and 3. YOu did not say we were picking a rotation, but just you would pick him to start game 3. In the DS, that is a huge game. But I could pick about another 7 that I would prefer in my opinion that I think allow less runs.

In the ds in could be anyone really. But that's why I specified the situation. "7 game series game 3 on the road". I would pick any of those pitchers too but realistically who would have a rotation of halladay, Santana, lee, etc. Personally, I just think the man is clutch and there were many instances that he came through for the yanks when they lost home field or need a stop and he has come through.

very true Spank very true

Personally, I just think the man is clutch and there were many instances that he came through for the yanks when they lost home field or need a stop and he has come through.

Last edited:
So what about Livan Hernandez? His postseason stats are right on par with Petittes but he goes un noticed.

All I can say is in my opinion, the guy had a few good ones and the rest are inflated because of where he plays. The stats dont lie. 5-4 in the WS with an ERA over 4. 19-8 in postseason with an ERA right around 4. Very good as I said, but no where near the press he gets as a legend. And lets not forget that the guy got caught cheating.

I have such a problem with cheaters. This guy gets a pass because he is supposedly a nice guy (as most around him say), but lets face it, he cheated and got caught.

TGM is exactly right. Hernandez goes unnoticed and further proves my point it is more abuot where he plays than how good he actually was. And Hernandez never got caught cheating. (7-3)

Last edited:
I just think the man is clutch and there were many instances that he came through for the yanks when they lost home field or need a stop and he has come through.

He is a "give me the ball" kind of guy. Even if he doesnt have it that day he is going to go out and do what he has to do to win.

huh? no arguements here thats why I posted this on Smoltz who would be my choice for any postseason start no matter the game. Pettie had some clutch games in the postseason back in the day but by no means the body of work of Smoltz or others.

huh? no arguements here thats why I posted this on Smoltz who would be my choice for any postseason start no matter the game. Pettie had some clutch games in the postseason back in the day but by no means the body of work of Smoltz or others.

No arguments here... they're both great pitchers.

Petitte kind of reminds me of Dave Stewart. Great in the post season but he will never make it into the HOF.

Petitte kind of reminds me of Dave Stewart. Great in the post season but he will never make it into the HOF.

Dave was a good one. I remember him in the earthquake series. I dont think Pettite belongs. Not even close. But I think it will be close because of where he plays and rings.

rings do matter alot but I dont think he is HOF worty but who knows

Andre Ethier broke his pinky finger in BP today. Im not sure how long he will be out but its a pretty big blow for the Dodgers.

So what about Livan Hernandez? His postseason stats are right on par with Petittes but he goes un noticed.

livan hernandez post season stats 7-3 3.97
andy pettite post season stats 18-9 3.90

not exactly what I would say are "right on par"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back