Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So BigMac took the juice... who knew?

This poses the question... who's next to come clean?

I could be wrong too Fourputt, but I thought since that time evidence and betting slips showed that he was betting on the Reds.

This is true. This was a whole part of that report that got released after Rose's book came out. It's a shame he couldn't get past his arrogance and ego (stupidity?) and just admitted his mistake. He'd probably be in the Hall by now...

This is true. This was a whole part of that report that got released after Rose's book came out. It's a shame he couldn't get past his arrogance and ego (stupidity?) and just admitted his mistake. He'd probably be in the Hall by now...

That is what I thought. I know ESPN did a story that showed betting slips on games he managed.

I could be wrong too Fourputt, but I thought since that time evidence and betting slips showed that he was betting on the Reds.

According to Wikipedia, you're right JB, he bet on but not against the Reds while he was playing and coaching.:good:

EDIT: I don't know about his getting into the HOF though, apparently he agreed to "permanent ineligibility from baseball" after the allegations and the HOF has a ban on anybody that is on that list.
Pete Rose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Do you think these players really care that much about making into the HOF? I know there may be some money motiviations as maybe your autograph will be worth more, or more money for speaking engagements, and some have egos to fill. Personally I wouldn't care one way or the other and let my stats speak for themselves.

Do you think these players really care that much about making into the HOF? I know there may be some money motiviations as maybe your autograph will be worth more, or more money for speaking engagements, and some have egos to fill. Personally I wouldn't care one way or the other and let my stats speak for themselves.

I think you hit the nail when you mentioned "egos to fill." They took the drugs so they would be better, I'm reasonably sure that is ego. If they didn't care one way or the other and were willing to let their stats speak for themselves, they probably should have stayed away from the enhancers.

I think all of them want to be a HOF player, that's what competition is all about. IMO

In the perfect world yes, but I think in today's sporting age the almighty dollar comes first for a lot of these guys.

I think all of them want to be a HOF player, that's what competition is all about. IMO

I agree 100%. The times of it being money motivated (HOF, not playing) are passed. These guys have guaranteed contracts and do not need speaking engagements, selling autographs, or anything else. They want it because it means they were in the elite group of athletes ever to play the game.

I think you hit the nail when you mentioned "egos to fill." They took the drugs so they would be better, I'm reasonably sure that is ego. If they didn't care one way or the other and were willing to let their stats speak for themselves, they probably should have stayed away from the enhancers.
Somebody hasn't listened to the McGwire statements, he didn't take steroids to get better he did it because he was hurt. According to him he was already better than most. LMAO

IIRC that's the same thing A-rod and Pettite said too.

McGwire will never get into the hof. His only stat is his homeruns and those are tainted.

There was a lot of action today.
The Felix Hernandez signed an extension with the Mariners for 5 years 78 million.

The Rockies extended Huston Street for 3 years 22.5 million.

The Giants resigned Bengie Molina for 1 year 4.5 million. Im glad to see Molina back in the NL West clogging up the base paths.

Tim Lincecum....pay that man his money!!!

Tim Lincecum....pay that man his money!!!

I cant see it going to a hearing, I think they will settle on a multi year deal and buy out a few years of his free agency.

I heard Gagne tried out for your Phillies.

I cant see it going to a hearing, I think they will settle on a multi year deal and buy out a few years of his free agency.

I heard Gagne tried out for your Phillies.

Agreed but it was awesome to see him go for that much. Like Ryan Howard, there's no comparison for someone like him this early in his career so he may just get that if it goes to arb.

Yeah, no interst in Gagne now that he's off the juice. Phils are just looking for low risk-high reward bodies at this point in case Lidge flames out again

Here is a good one,
A's prospect leaving baseball for priesthood
Rob Fai isn’t surprised that Oakland A’s prospect Grant Desme is ending his baseball career to enter the priesthood.

The timing? To him, that’s the shocking thing.

Desme is leaving the game at a time when his fortunes seemed to be rising fast. He batted .288 with 31 home runs and 89 RBIs in 131 games last year. Then he starred in the Arizona Fall League, where some of the game’s top prospects compete. He likely would have started this season at Class AA.

“Here’s a kid that’s on the brink,” Fai said over the phone from Vancouver, B.C., where he works as the assistant general manager for the Oakland affiliate there. “This would probably be an easier decision for someone who was maybe going through the motions in the minors.

“But if you know Grant, the spiritual side of his life has always been a priority. I don’t know if there was a tipping factor that made him wake up and say, ‘Today’s the day.’”

Regardless, today is the day: As first reported by FOXSports.com, the 23-year-old star prospect has informed the A’s that he will retire and become a priest.

“I’m doing well in baseball,” Desme told reporters on Friday, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “But I had to get down to the bottom of things, to what was good in my life, what I wanted to do with my life. Baseball is a good thing, but that felt selfish of me when I felt that God was calling me more. ... I love the game, but I’m going to aspire to higher things.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Oakland-As-prospect-leaving-baseball-for-priesthood-012210

Wow, I dont know if this site jumped the gun but I have heard they were talking about it. I know Mauer is awesome but he is still a catcher.

Source: Mauer, Twins Agree To 10-Year Contract

Other Media Contradicting WCCO Report

A source tells WCCO-TV's Mark Rosen that American League MVP Joe Mauer has come to a preliminary agreement with the Minnesota Twins for a 10-year contract extension.

Mauer, 26, and the Twins had been pretty quiet about contract negotiations, while fans were eager to find out if their hometown hero would be staying put at last weekend's annual fan festival.

This is Mauer's final year of his current contract and manager Ron Gardenhire said Friday he was confident that both sides would come together and strike a deal.

Other media outlets late Monday published stories online that contradicted the WCCO report.

ESPN's Buster Olney reported on a Twitter account that "Multiple sources now saying that the (WCCO) report on a preliminary agreement for Mauer is not accurate."

And the Minneapolis Star Tribune's national baseball beat writer, Joe Christensen, cited two sources who claimed that an agreement had not been reached.

http://wcco.com/sports/twins/joe.mauer.minnesota.2.1462891.html

if that's true....he'll be playing 1B by the end of that contract

Wow, I dont know if this site jumped the gun but I have heard they were talking about it. I know Mauer is awesome but he is still a catcher.

That is a long deal, but I'm glad he'll likely stay in Minnesota for his whole career. That is rare nowadays, but I like it. If his knees/back start to give out from catching, they can probably move him to first base.

if that's true....he'll be playing 1B by the end of that contract

If his knees/back start to give out from catching, they can probably move him to first base.

I think Morneau's contract lasts for another 5 years, so after that I could see him moving to first or since he plays in the fake baseball league he can DH.
Its just nice to know he wont be a Red Sox or Yankee anytime soon.

I think Morneau's contract lasts for another 5 years, so after that I could see him moving to first or since he plays in the fake baseball league he can DH.
Its just nice to know he wont be a Red Sox or Yankee anytime soon.

unless he gets tired of playing OUTSIDE in Minnesota and asks to be traded to the warmer climate of the NE :banghead: Well thought out plan Minnesota

unless he gets tired of playing OUTSIDE in Minnesota and asks to be traded to the warmer climate of the NE :banghead: Well thought out plan Minnesota
I dont get why MLB let them do that. Although the Expos did play in an outdoor park when they first started. Chicago and Cleveland get pretty cold too.

When will the season start??? I'm ready for baseball!!

10 days until pitchers and catchers report. Im pretty excited as well.

Spring training and those games don't really count right? They're kind of like scrimmages? :confused2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back