Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the word "Wildcat" now. It's has almost reached the point where I want to mute the TV while I watch football. Wildcat this and wildcat that, I'll be glad when it goes the way of the Run and Shoot.

I stopped to get gas today at a station on the Parkway. It's one where you pull in then pull out again. So why would anyone pull up to the pump facing the wrong way - I don't get it.

I stopped to get gas today at a station on the Parkway. It's one where you pull in then pull out again. So why would anyone pull up to the pump facing the wrong way - I don't get it.

Because they will let any moron drive a car.

I just saw a commercial for a movie that doesn't come out until Summer 2010. (Jake Gyllenhall in "Prince of Persia"). WTF?

Luckily it's a Jerry Bruckheimer film, so I have no interest in seeing it.

Because they will let any moron drive a car.

Head up the butt? Happens sometimes and you feel like a bonehead when it happens. At least I noticed before I got out! (And thanks, Harry! lol) I wish I could say it was someone else's car, but, unfortunately for me, it wasn't. At least there wasn't a line and I was able to just pull in correctly. Dufus head!

Head up the butt? Happens sometimes and you feel like a bonehead when it happens. At least I noticed before I got out! (And thanks, Harry! lol) I wish I could say it was someone else's car, but, unfortunately for me, it wasn't. At least there wasn't a line and I was able to just pull in correctly. Dufus head!

Huh? How could you not notice you were heading in the wrong direction?

Huh? How could you not notice you were heading in the wrong direction?

Wrong direction? I thought you meant pulling up with the pump on the wrong side.

Wrong direction? I thought you meant pulling up with the pump on the wrong side.

Yes, so they turned the car around instead of going to the other side of the pump.

Perhaps they have one of those cars built by morons that has the fill tube on the other side of the car?

I hate the word "Wildcat" now. It's has almost reached the point where I want to mute the TV while I watch football. Wildcat this and wildcat that, I'll be glad when it goes the way of the Run and Shoot.

Unfortunately, the Univ of AZ football team is called the "Wildcats", so you couldn't get away from it out here.:D

Perhaps they have one of those cars built by morons that has the fill tube on the other side of the car?

Years ago, my brother and I were in my Dad's car and it needed gas. Neither of us knew the car well, or had paid attention to which side the gas cap was on. All we could do as we pulled into the station was flip the switch to unlock the cap and hope we could see if through the rear view mirrors.

Smallie, Diane was originally talking about stations that operate like "one way" streets - everyone enters from one side and exits the other.

The one up the street has big Entrance/Exit only signs, but people pull in from the wrong way all the time and block traffic trying to leave.

Years ago, my brother and I were in my Dad's car and it needed gas. Neither of us knew the car well, or had paid attention to which side the gas cap was on. All we could do as we pulled into the station was flip the switch to unlock the cap and hope we could see if through the rear view mirrors.

Maybe it's just a British thing, but just about every car I've been in, on the fuel gauge there is a little arrow that points towards the side of the car that has the filler.

Maybe it's just a British thing, but just about every car I've been in, on the fuel gauge there is a little arrow that points towards the side of the car that has the filler.

Obviously, in Japan and America, we like to confuse drivers and make them guess where the filler cap is.

Obviously, in Japan and America, we like to confuse drivers and make them guess where the filler cap is.

I'm so going to check that the next time I'm in a car out here. In the middle of the fuel gauge is a picture of a gas pump and on one side of the pump is a little triangle which points to the side. That side is where your filler cap is. My guess is US cars have them too (certainly Japanese cars sold in the UK do), but no one has noticed it. It's very helpful if you're in a hire car or similar.

My dad used to have a Jaguar XJS which had a tank on both sides of the car, so we had various fun trips, generally trying to stretch the hose across the car without it touching the bodywork.

I walked out to my truck to check. You are correct for my truck. The arrow is very obscure, so perhaps that is the reason it took me 50 years of driving to realize this.

(I feel so inadequate)

I walked out to my truck to check. You are correct for my truck. The arrow is very obscure, so perhaps that is the reason it took me 50 years of driving to realize this.

(I feel so inadequate)

I imagine you used the more conventional option of just looking where the cap is. I only figured this out a couple of years ago after a decent while driving and I would add that I've done the backing out and going round to a hose on the right side of my car more than once. I've also several times gone for the stretch the hose, while holding it up with the other hand to stop it scraping the paint. And I've also on a couple of occasions done both. Namely parked, realised I was on the wrong side, had a go at reaching across with the hose, discovered it wasn't long enough, put the hose away, got back in the car, backed it up, pulled in to a spot with a hose on the correct side and filled it up. The guy inside must have been wetting himself laughing at me if he was watching. Fortunately these days I don't need to go through that any more. :bulgy-eyes:

Smallie, Diane was originally talking about stations that operate like "one way" streets - everyone enters from one side and exits the other.

The one up the street has big Entrance/Exit only signs, but people pull in from the wrong way all the time and block traffic trying to leave.
Most vehicles I have been in have the filler on the left side, but you still see them on the right side once in a while. How do those work in the "one-way" entrances like those? Some cars are small enough that you can stretch the hose across the vehicle, but what about a big truck with a shell on top?

If you are talking about a station with two or more pumps in a row, with dispensers on both sides, my biggest gripe is people who pull in and don't pull all the way forward when the forward pump is open. Normally one side of the pump faces one way and the other side faces the other. But you still have an issue when a car comes in that has the filler on the right side of the car.

Some have them, some don't. Maybe that's more common in newer cars? Everyone will be checking today!

Last edited:

(I feel so inadequate)

The last 4 cars I have had, had the arrow on them. I usually pull up on the wrong side when im driving a car im not used to. The arrow is great but sometimes there is so many things on the cluster that it gets lost in it.

It was awhile ago, and in my defense (such as it were), I didn't own a car until I got married and moved to the suburbs. So if this nicety existed, I wasn't aware of it.

Uggh. Ever have one of those days when you turn into a spaz for no reason whatsoever?

We had a break in the rain today, so I made a run for the local 9 hole course. I warmed up at the range and was hitting balls to best I have in a long time. Sure, some faded too much, and a couple drew too much, but no hooks or slices or pushes or pulls. My swing felt good all around.

Made my way to the course, playing solo, and the swing deteriorated. Not completely, just enough that I was disappointed that I didn't take my range swing to the course. Around the 5th hole, things got backed up. I invited the solo guy behind me to join up. Super nice guy. Playing only 2 years (1 year less than me) and had moved up to Miura blades - and could play them. Yeah, that was pretty humiliating.

But more humiliating is that my game and mouth went downhill. Normally I'm pretty quiet when I play (despite my verbosity here), but for some reason, I started blabbering and couldn't stop. The kind where, thinking back, you wonder if you even made sense. Total weirdness. Then my swing went south. I managed to save par on a couple of holes, but I also lost a ball in the brush from a wormburner, and I sliced the crap out of a couple more thanks to my over-the-top swing that was previously nowhere to be found at the range. Thankfully, the course was slow, so it wasn't me holding us up. And, like I said, the guy could not have been nicer. But I also turned into a keystone cop. I was fumbling, bumbling, dropping things, etc. And none of it had anything to do with being nervous or intimidated or anything like that. I just spontaneously spazzed out.

I'm completely annoyed with myself now.

"Finish each day and be done with it." ~ Emerson

But I also turned into a keystone cop. I was fumbling, bumbling, dropping things, etc. And none of it had anything to do with being nervous or intimidated or anything like that. I just spontaneously spazzed out.

That's me if I drink coffee. Caffeine and I have an agreement. I don't drink coffee, and it doesn't bother me if I have it in iced tee. You didn't drink too much coffee, did you?

Kevin

That's me if I drink coffee. Caffeine and I have an agreement. I don't drink coffee, and it doesn't bother me if I have it in iced tee. You didn't drink too much coffee, did you?

Kevin

No, I don't drink coffee. Hot tea. But I only had a little today. I usually consume massive amounts, so it takes a lot to affect me.

But yes, that's the kind of spaz out it was. Like someone who had WAY too much caffeine.

No, I don't drink coffee. Hot tea. But I only had a little today. I usually consume massive amounts, so it takes a lot to affect me.

But yes, that's the kind of spaz out it was. Like someone who had WAY too much caffeine.

Or perhaps too little. Your body could have been going through caffeine withdrawal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back