Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a new lawn tractor delivered and the @#$%@ thing won't start.

Had to go out and pick up a bunch of limbs that fell off the tree the other night during all the wind we got. At least I didn't have full branches fall like some of my neighbors.

Re: Official Rant of the Day Thread

The adapter thing in my laptop that connects with the power plug to charge my computer broke and it was the same price as buying a new computer so I got a new computer but inow I have to figure out how to get everything from the old computer to the new one and I only have like 20 mins left before the old battery dies grrrrrrr.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

USB Cable? You'd have to get one with the same ends.

Copy everything you want onto your camera (when it's connected to download pictures, it's also a removable drive).

Create a share on your network and copy them that way.

It finally broke completely?

http://www.asklaptopfreak.com/laptop-notebook-help/2006/06/11/connect-laptop-hard-drive-to-desktop-computer/

This might be a good choice too. Option 2:

2. You can use an external USB enclosure for laptop hard drives. I think that would be the easiest and fastest way to access your data. You can find an external USB enclosure in any computer shop and it would cost you about $20-$30 or buy it here for $10. After you remove the laptop hard drive, place it inside the enclosure and connect to the desktop or another laptop computer via the USB cable. It is not necessary to install any drivers for the enclosure if the desktop PC runs Winodws 2000 or Windows XP. If the desktop PC runs Windows 98, then most likely you’ll have to install a driver for the enclosure before you can access the hard drive. The USB cable and the driver usually supplies with the external enclosure. Now you can access the laptop hard drive as a regular drive on your desktop/laptop computer.

Re: Official Rant of the Day Thread

Yup it finally broke. Can you explain this network thing to me a little more? Also, how much time would I need because I think I only have about 20 mins of battery life on the old computer. I also don't know how to save all my outlook emails....I am stressing a lot about that.

The adapter thing in my laptop that connects with the power plug to charge my computer broke and it was the same price as buying a new computer so I got a new computer but inow I have to figure out how to get everything from the old computer to the new one and I only have like 20 mins left before the old battery dies grrrrrrr.

I bought a new plug for 12 bucks on ebay, and it saved me from buying a new computer. works like a charm

but if its the piece inside your laptop that brok than thats really too bad

Hmmm that is very interesting. So I can just remove the hard drive and transfer it all over that way for $10? I thought I was going to have to hire someone for around $100 to do that for me because I don't know ANYTHING about computers. What about my outlook emai messages and contacts? I think if I have enough time I can save my contacts in gmail but what about all my old emails? Ugh this sucks so much! I feel like my entire freaking life was on that computer and in less than 20 minutes I won't be able to turn it on again.

I bought a new plug for 12 bucks on ebay, and it saved me from buying a new computer. works like a charm

but if its the piece inside your laptop that brok than thats really too bad

yup, it's the piece inside the laptop and the guy said well...."We can ship it off for $85 and know within a week what's wrong and if it's a simple fix they will just apply the $85 to it, if it's what I think it is then we will have to replace your entire motherboard and that will be right around $500." I can't be a week without my computer since everything I do is on it so a new computer it was.

Hmmm that is very interesting. So I can just remove the hard drive and transfer it all over that way for $10? I thought I was going to have to hire someone for around $100 to do that for me because I don't know ANYTHING about computers. What about my outlook emai messages and contacts? I think if I have enough time I can save my contacts in gmail but what about all my old emails? Ugh this sucks so much! I feel like my entire freaking life was on that computer and in less than 20 minutes I won't be able to turn it on again.

Your Outlook should be saving your emails someplace. Read this web page for info: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP100669141033.aspx.

Personal Folders file (.pst)
Personal Folders files (.pst) contain your e-mail messages, calendars, contacts, tasks, and notes. You must use Outlook to work with the items in a .pst file.
When you archive Outlook information, items are saved in a .pst files.
NOTE Microsoft Exchange Server accounts store your information on the mail server. For Cached Exchange Mode or to work offline, copies of your items are saved in an Offline Folders file (.ost). See the Offline Folders file (.ost) section for more information. Also, some organizations allow you to export or archive your items to a .pst file.

Windows Vista drive:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 drive:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

my rant is my YARD! we live on about an acre and a half so it takes me long enough to mow, but now i'm mowing the neighbors yard too (this sweet little old lady) so it adds about another acre. all with a push mower. 4 hours later, i'm drinched, my hands are vibrating and i'm whipped! Rant over.

oh yeah, the wifey's loving the yard though, so it's all worth it.

You would probably benefit from a rider there, TC!

You would probably benefit from a rider there, TC!

i know buddy, but it's not in the budget right now. i don't mind push mowing our yard but to add the neighbors, it's a whole new beast.

i know buddy, but it's not in the budget right now. i don't mind push mowing our yard but to add the neighbors, it's a whole new beast.

self propelled push mower?

i am really upset that my "summer" driver has a crack in it... so im retiring it... my back up driver is treating me bad and im duck hooking everything... im "saving" the powerbilt i won for when my brothers come back to town... grrrr

lool TC! money for the fall outing but no money for a self propelled mower! :act-up:

my rant is my YARD! we live on about an acre and a half so it takes me long enough to mow, but now i'm mowing the neighbors yard too (this sweet little old lady) so it adds about another acre. all with a push mower. 4 hours later, i'm drinched, my hands are vibrating and i'm whipped! Rant over.

oh yeah, the wifey's loving the yard though, so it's all worth it.

I bet she's liking the vibrating hands too. :D

it's a self propelled mower, and i also have self propelled vibrating hands, sorry, i haven't been around to post (i've been busy!)

Well, I was able to save my contact and calendar and most of my personal documents and pictures but there is still a lot left on the old computer including my inbox and sent messages on my email and the computer is totally dead now. Hopefully there is a way to get the rest of that information. What a pain this is.

Well, I was able to save my contact and calendar and most of my personal documents and pictures but there is still a lot left on the old computer including my inbox and sent messages on my email and the computer is totally dead now. Hopefully there is a way to get the rest of that information. What a pain this is.

I would go and get the USB enclosure and still do it that way. You are going to want to either take out or wipe the hard drive before you get rid of the laptop anyway. Plus, after you get everything you want off the drive, you can format it and have that much more storage space.

I would go and get the USB enclosure and still do it that way. You are going to want to either take out or wipe the hard drive before you get rid of the laptop anyway. Plus, after you get everything you want off the drive, you can format it and have that much more storage space.

I definitely plan to do that. Plus I am hoping I will be able to restore my outlook folders that way too. Ideall, we find out that the piece is an easy fix and then we can keep that computer and then just have an extra one. If we had time we would have done that but I couldn't go an entire week without a computer just to wait and see if it could be saved.

So far I am really enjoying some of the new features of windows 7, my old computer had Vista. The new keyboard is taking some major getting used to because it has a side number pad and it's throwing me off on where the keys are supposed to be. I am sure that will just take some time to get comfortable. Since I am shelling out all this money I think I ened to invest in a new external mouse and keyboard too because the old one I have is garbage and it would be nice to have that for my everyday use since this is my work computer too.

Plus the extra storage is nice because you can move the device from one computer to another. I keep all of my documents and photos on a 500 GB external drive so I can go between the PC and the laptop and my wife's computer.

Plus the extra storage is nice because you can move the device from one computer to another. I keep all of my documents and photos on a 500 GB external drive so I can go between the PC and the laptop and my wife's computer.

I should have thought about doing something like that sooner but it always takes something like this to smack me in the face and make me do it. I just hope I can get all my old sent messages and inbox messages from outlook, if I can get those than I am all set.

I should have thought about doing something like that sooner but it always takes something like this to smack me in the face and make me do it. I just hope I can get all my old sent messages and inbox messages from outlook, if I can get those than I am all set.

Create an outlook data folder (File>New>Outlook Data File...) to create personal folders within this file. Then just copy your inbox, sent items, and other folders into this. Transfer the outlook data file to your new computer and open it in your new outlook (File>Open>Outlook Data File...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back