Ohio, Indiana & Surrounding Area chat thread

How would you fill in the trip?
Really the only rounds that look set in stone is Deer Ridge on way down and the second round of day two being Virtues.

Denison isnt the kind of course i enjoy (very tight) from what i've read.
I loved Denison as it’s a old school CC style of course. But Virtues is outstanding for sure I’d play twice if able with the second maybe a scramble. Deer ridge is fun but tough on the greens. I know Golf Club of Dublin in Columbus is a great course if your able to get there.

Well. It seems like 80% of the forum is from Ohio so that shouldn’t be too difficult, haha.

Maybe that weekend of the 10th-11th of June? Week after is Father’s Day so that’s no good.

Gives us over two weeks to gather some folks?

So, would any of you Ohio people be interested in Virtues in a few weeks time?

You could play Valley of the Eagles in Elyria on the way home.

I am playing there Sunday. Haven't been since they redid it. Also playing Ironwood tomorrow.

and Big Met is in my backyard

Urbana?

Please say "hi" to Bill Unger for me (Dan Arnold).

He used to be an assistant pro at my club, Heritage (in Hilliard).
Will do, I was at heritage before Urbana but just for one year.

Rolling Meadows has a 7:21, 7:39 or 8:33 available. Debating..
RM isn’t rated yet…new ownership hasn’t gotten it done- league play every week and I keep asking 🤣🤣

How would you fill in the trip?
Really the only rounds that look set in stone is Deer Ridge on way down and the second round of day two being Virtues.

Denison isnt the kind of course i enjoy (very tight) from what i've read.
I wouldn't say Denison is tight, but old school course, so the greens are on the smaller side and missing them can be punishing. 18 is one of the coolest finishing holes I've played

I loved Denison as it’s a old school CC style of course. But Virtues is outstanding for sure I’d play twice if able with the second maybe a scramble. Deer ridge is fun but tough on the greens.

I know Golf Club of Dublin in Columbus is a great course if your able to get there.

True dat. :cool:

I love playing there. (y)

Would you say its "harder" than virtues?

Not necessarily. I think Virtues has more than a few gimmicky/goofy holes. Like @Golfers Anonymous said, Denison is more old school, straightforward golf. Virtues is nice but there are some holes and nitpicky (is that a word?) condition things that kill it for me.

Not necessarily. I think Virtues has more than a few gimmicky/goofy holes. Like @Golfers Anonymous said, Denison is more old school, straightforward golf. Virtues is nice but there are some holes and nitpicky (is that a word?) condition things that kill it for me.
Sounds like Denison might be the final piece to the Central OH trip puzzle.

Would you all say Denison is better than EagleSticks?

I'd say yes, Denison is better, but I haven't played Eaglesticks in years

I have no idea, never played there

I’ll echo @Golfers Anonymous, Stonelick is a nice course but not sure it’s worth adding another 4 hours of drive time to an already drive time for the weekend. Especially if part of the appeal of the trip is to sit and hang with the group

Top of Puritas hill here.

Then you are just the other side of the valley. TBH I don't play Big Met that much, can't ever get times. Maybe just 9 during the week.

If anyone is looking for golf Wed, Thurs, or Friday this week let me know. Open to srive a ways to make it happen,

Here are my 2 cents
Virtues is the best public course in Ohio - period
Deer Ridge is a solid choice and worth the stop
Eaglesticks is a good track but overrated. I have played there 4 times and the fastest round has been 5:30
Denison is the most overrated course in Ohio imo - Good greens, fairly wide open beyond lives on the hype of being a Donald Ross.
Stonelick is fantastic course can be tough depending on tees played. 9 and 18 are great finishing par 5's
My choice to fill in the other course would be Apple Valley (if you don't want to drive to Stonelick) in Mount Vernon about 50 minutes north of Virtues. Overall just a solid course.

Here are my 2 cents
Eaglesticks is a good track but overrated. I have played there 4 times and the fastest round has been 5:30
Denison is the most overrated course in Ohio imo - Good greens, fairly wide open beyond lives on the hype of being a Donald Ross.
Stonelick is fantastic course can be tough depending on tees played. 9 and 18 are great finishing par 5's
My choice to fill in the other course would be Apple Valley (if you don't want to drive to Stonelick) in Mount Vernon about 50 minutes north of Virtues. Overall just a solid course.
Another decent one in Mt. Vernon is Chapel Hill. They used to have a "play as much as you want" rate.

Here are my 2 cents

And, as previously mentioned, the Golf Club of Dublin.

Excellent course, with reasonable rates.

Back