One tip to increase swing speed

Make your fastest moment closer to the ball.
It still blows my mind that PGA Tour pros top hand speed happens before shaft parallel on the downswing.

It still blows my mind that PGA Tour pros top hand speed happens before shaft parallel on the downswing.

Good one, and is the invitation for the back-end of the club arriving late to the party.

Eat your spinach

popeye the sailor man GIF

I think the place that most people can gain is by utilizing ground forces. Most people don't use the ground much, if at all. So, my tip to gain instant speed is to imagine you're standing on a giant pill bottle and you have to unscrew the lid using your feet.

I had read years ago that while people advocate a loose grip, learning to relax the wrists is much more relevant to increasing club head speed. Is that something you've always been able to do, @OldandStiff? Or is it something you actively or specifically worked on?
Mm. I don't know. Maybe? Hard to know how much more or less loose mine are than most. I don't think there's a metric for that in Gears. 😋

I just know what happens when people try to swing fast and end up creating tension and stiffening. I see it a lot. Loose is fast. There's some really cool work being done to analyze some of those relationships too. Even something as simple as posture or hand position and how it affects fluidity and speed.

Mm. I don't know. Maybe? Hard to know how much more or less loose mine are than most. I don't think there's a metric for that in Gears. 😋

I just know what happens when people try to swing fast and end up creating tension and stiffening. I see it a lot. Loose is fast. There's some really cool work being done to analyze some of those relationships too. Even something as simple as posture or hand position and how it affects fluidity and speed.
I worked on this tonight. There is something to it. I mean, there seems to be a balance between relax and control, but the club head speed was faster when didn’t try to use my hands to increase the speed.
This is the kind of **** I know is real because I’ve experienced it, but I never seem to be able to get a handle on it enough to take advantage.

I worked on this tonight. There is something to it. I mean, there seems to be a balance between relax and control, but the club head speed was faster when didn’t try to use my hands to increase the speed.
This is the kind of **** I know is real because I’ve experienced it, but I never seem to be able to get a handle on it enough to take advantage.
The faster I try to move my hands, the slower the club goes.

Which is kind of interesting, because I've seen videos where they've noted pros bring their hands down at the very start of the downswing much faster than do ams. IIRC, one such video was from AMG?

Same here, but there’s a little more to it than just an easy swing for me… I assume sequencing.

I am putting a lot of effort from the top towards creating arm/hand speed by using my legs, hips, torso, shoulders and arms. It’s just there was no attempt at having the wrists contributing to generating speed. Their role was more to guide the club once the speed was already there??? All feels, I know.

It’s hard to explain and obviously I don’t have anything figured out. But something good came about in relaxing the wrists tonight.

Which is kind of interesting, because I've seen videos where they've noted pros bring their hands down at the very start of the downswing much faster than do ams. IIRC, one such video was from AMG?
Yup. It's a lot to do with sequencing. If I bring my hands down too fast, my brain moves everything else in a way that will get the club to the ball (somewhat). That usually involves over the top or early extension or a bunch of other speed killers.

I don't think about moving my hands fast because they will always move faster than my chest and hips. No reason to give them that much of a headstart

Same here, but there’s a little more to it than just an easy swing for me… I assume sequencing.

I am putting a lot of effort from the top towards creating arm/hand speed by using my legs, hips, torso, shoulders and arms. It’s just there was no attempt at having the wrists contributing to generating speed. Their role was more to guide the club once the speed was already there??? All feels, I know.

It’s hard to explain and obviously I don’t have anything figured out. But something good came about in relaxing the wrists tonight.
For me it's a sequencing equation.

Let your left heel raise up on backswing.

I always tell myself “relax and trust your hands” when I need to get into one off the tee box. The less I think about hitting a bomb, the more times I hit one. When I think about crushing one, I will hook it into the next zip code.

May I help you? :ROFLMAO:
I don't know what this means:
Good one, and is the invitation for the back-end of the club arriving late to the party.
Are you able to elaborate or clarify what that means in regards to PGA Tour pros top hand speed happening before shaft parallel on the downswing?

Are you able to elaborate or clarify what that means in regards to PGA Tour pros top hand speed happening before shaft parallel on the downswing?

Hand speed to location seems about right, but most measurements are a foreign language to me. I use the 'back end of the club' as a clubhead reference, so the back end doesn't kick out too early when trading ends with the hands. McHatton had a great expression about the same idea saying 'the latest are greatest'- latest with the clubhead.

I don’t even think about my hands in the downswing. I just rotate and the feeling is pretend I’m throwing a pitch (I don’t baseball)

It feels slow in transition, and I just rip it at the bottom. It seems to translate well

Lift your left heel in the backswing and stomp down as you swing.

Quit trying to swing hard/fast. My highest speed swings come when I'm loose and swinging smooth.

Quit trying to swing hard/fast. My highest speed swings come when I'm loose and swinging smooth.
I feel like a lot of people say and I get what they mean, keeping loose and smooth, and often slow down the backswing to make sure you get a good shoulder turn etc. But there is still a point if I'm trying to give it some extra speed I have to deliberately focus on giving "swinging harder" at a certain point to ramp up my Driver swing by 10-12 MPH for example.

I feel like a lot of people say and I get what they mean, keeping loose and smooth, and often slow down the backswing to make sure you get a good shoulder turn etc. But there is still a point if I'm trying to give it some extra speed I have to deliberately focus on giving "swinging harder" at a certain point to ramp up my Driver swing by 10-12 MPH for example.
I get that to an extent as well, but I definitely don't have 10-12 mph in reserve! :LOL:

I think there's a balance between physicality and swing mechanics to get the most out of it, but trying to muscle through the swing doesn't work for me.

Back