Panda tip: hitting the long iron

Well, I currently don't play long irons, only hybrids. However, I get the best results from my hybrids when I play them like a 7 iron, descending angle of attack, trying to take a small divot. A smooth in control swing gets plenty of distance with the hybrids, and there is no reason to swing any differently than I do with the 7 iron as Freddie has pointed out.

My 3 and 4 irons have become go-to clubs off of the tee. I used to struggle until I really focused on a shorter backswing and making sure to turn through the ball. I've hit a few greens in 2 on par-5s and that's something I've never been able to do in the past. Really good tips, Freddie.

Well, I currently don't play long irons, only hybrids. However, I get the best results from my hybrids when I play them like a 7 iron, descending angle of attack, trying to take a small divot. A smooth in control swing gets plenty of distance with the hybrids, and there is no reason to swing any differently than I do with the 7 iron as Freddie has pointed out.

I totally agree Brett... I take at least a small divot with just about every club. No reason to swing a 5 iron any different than a 7, the lower loft ( and slightly increased shaft length in some cases ) will take care of the distance. Although I will be the first to say I don't always heed that advice - to my detriment!

I haven't used an iron longer than a 6 in years. Hybrids are where it's at these days. Even the pros are dropping long irons.

However my new set of tm tp cb's will have all irons down to the 4.

I'm long iron free and there is no turning back. I'd never give my hybrids at this point. Nothing wrong with long irons if you can hit them perfectly each and every shot, but the hybrids are just so much easier for me and I love the ball flight.

For everyone that replaced your long irons with hybrids what do you do into the wind? I have a hybrid but I can't hit the thing low even when I try . If it is windy out I usually swap the hybrid out for a 2 iron just because I know I can keep the iron low.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

For everyone that replaced your long irons with hybrids what do you do into the wind? I have a hybrid but I can't hit the thing low even when I try . If it is windy out I usually swap the hybrid out for a 2 iron just because I know I can keep the iron low.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I play the ball forward a little further than normal and cut off the follow thru a little. I might "hood" the head a little as well if its really windy to take off a little bit of loft.

Back