Par 3 Courses - Practice or Serious?

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
For those that frequent par 3 courses, do you take them seriously, or use them to practice your short game?

I used to take them serious, but in order to improve my short game, they have become a live practice round for me. If there is no one behind me I will hit a couple extra balls with a different club or attempt a different shot with the same club. I remember one time in particular that I only had a wedge with me and I would pitch and chip my way around the course.

neither, if i go to my local par 3, I'm normally carrying a cooler of beer with me and my friends

Only par 3 courses I have experience with are on the RTJ Golf Trail (Grand National and Magnolia Grove). They are challenging - certainly no chip and putts. I took them seriously. When I lived in Mobile I probably played the short course at Magnolia Grove 8-10 times/year.

Practice only for me. There's a par 69 course that I play pretty often that I have trouble taking seriously. Figure out how to make it a par 70 already! It bugs my OCD.

There are a few locally that I enjoy playing, one of them being pretty freaking hard at Par 60. I take them serious for the most part, as it's a good test of my iron and wedge game.

I take it seriously to practice my short game. I try and hit 3 balls one short one long one on the green. And play from there I also aim a couple of shots into hunkers and try and play out from there.

I want to play this one bad AND I plan on taking it very seriously.

contentBlock_551.jpg

What are you waiting for, get up here and we will play it.
We can say you are a customer of mine for a day :p

I want to play this one bad AND I plan on taking it very seriously.

contentBlock_551.jpg

You will see one this year :)
I am going to play it again once we are in season and it is nice and green.
Going to play it in may. Its closed pretty much whole month of april because of the champions tour event

Weird, dont recall seeing a course review for that one...

:alien:

At this point, every time I golf it's practice and trying to work on things I'm not good at; everything. I'll occasionally fall upon a group who is in the same boat as I and we'll make some friendly wagers, and it becomes a tad more serious.

Never played one, but I'd have to imagine a par 3 course isn't all that easy depending on the layout. I'd take it seriously in the fact that it's good practice and probably a good test of your iron play.

I would guess that most established golfers perceive the Par 3, or what some call an Executive course, as a practice venue. Which does give it value. It is also the best venue to introduce people to the game and get some practice at the same time. While I would first advise anyone to take lessons and have some range time, initially, if they insisted in playing, I would take them to a Par 3 course. One, is should be a bit easier for them and beginners tend to enhance slow play. On a regulation course, they will have a better chance of running into someone that may not be very patient and could get rather nasty with them.

Haven't played one in forever. I have no reason to play one so I don't see it happening but if I did I would just hit off the ground assuming the course doesn't suck and I could get a tight lie and treat it like approach shots. No need to go though since I play a decent amount of weekday golf by myself so I am always playing extra practice balls from spots that I am working on as well with at least one ball for score.

Always take it seriously! Scoring irons, chips, pitches and putting.... sounds pretty important to me!!

Never played one, but I'd have to imagine a par 3 course isn't all that easy depending on the layout. I'd take it seriously in the fact that it's good practice and probably a good test of your iron play.
Wait till ThreeTops

I play a men's night at a par 3 (different night from my course's men's night) just for fun so I use it to practice different types of shots.

There are 2 near me that I play, and it's strictly practice. One of them is only a pitch-n-putt, the other is an actual par 3 course with distances ranging 120-195 yards.

I go during down time and usually play alone. I'll start with 2 balls, then drop and extra around the green and then drop another on the green, resulting in 4 putts.

One of my favorites places to play by me is a place with 3 separate 9's but the most you can get on any 18 is like a par 66. Only 1 par 5 in the whole thing. It is awesome practice for me because it is focused short game work and just a fun set up. Last year I played there and didn't tee up my irons on the par 3s because I just wanted to practice hitting my irons. My approach is that it is serious for me and just really targeted practice instead of being on a range.
I will probably go there and play this weekend at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back