Ugh, got to deal with the injury side of parenting. My 11-year-old daughter spent the night with one of her friends from the swim team and they went to Skywalk (a trampoline arena). Long story short, jacked her ankle up really bad. The other girl's mom called me and asked if she should meet us at the hospital. I said no, figuring it wasn't too bad, so she brought her home. As soon as I opened the car door, I knew we had something serious on our hands. Her lower leg, lower tibia to be exact, was swollen very badly and already bruising. I've sustained my share of broken bones and I knew this wasn't a simple sprain or twist. Called my buddy who is a nurse practitioner at a local hospital and as luck would have it, he was just going into work. We ran her over there and cut the entire waiting room full of people (I always feel bad when he does that for us, but not bad enough not to take him up on it). Got the X-Rays done and sure enough she broke her right tibia. Bad news is we were supposed to go over to Santa Cruz this weekend, but now might need to stay here so she can get in with an orthopedist and get casted ASAP. She'll be out of swim for quite a while and will miss try-outs for her cheer team's competition squad. Oh yeah, probably no golf for a couple months either. Talk about throwing my work day out of whack!

Sorry to hear that, there's never a good time for those things to happen.

Here's my kids, Declan, my clone, turns 5 today. Not lying, dead ringer. Smart, too. His teachers want him to skip Kindergarten and go straight to first grade, but he's a small guy for his age.

And Abigail, 3, is a gift from God to see how high my blood pressure can get. Love her to death, but sassiest little kid around. Began talking early, before she turned 1, and has been outwitting her brother ever since. She's already learning to read, which she loves. We're getting her back into gymnastics, which she's absolutely built for.

I also have a gift from god named Abigail. She's 4 and sounds just like your Abigail! :)

I'm sorry to hear that, man.

Make sure your daughter does her physical therapy. The ankle is an impossibly complex joint, apparently there are ankle doctors the same way Dr. James Andrews is a knee doctor, just because of how many bones and ligaments and tendons can be affected. A good physical therapist, as her age, she'll be good as new. I had a couple of ankle surgeries a few years back, and in retrospect I wish I had done more than the two months of PT. I'm still missing some mobility from the surgically reconstructed ankle.

I know exactly what you mean. I destroyed my right tib/fib playing hockey many years ago. Shattered the tibia and put a spiral fracture on the fibula. Worst pain I've ever felt without a doubt. Ended up with a 6" long plate and 9 screws that are still in there to this day. I still don't have full mobility with it, walk a little duck-footed on that side and it swells constantly. In a way, I'm glad it happened when she's this young, because I know they heal so much better and knowing what I know from my own injury, I'll make sure she does everything she needs to get it back 100%. I'm actually thinking the swimming will be great for her once she's able to get back in the pool. Hopefully it doesn't set her back too far, because she's been within a couple of seconds of qualifying for Junior Olympics in her age group in a couple of events and she's really wanting to achieve that goal. Fortunately, it doesn't look like it will require more than a cast to immobilize it for about a month, but we won't know that for sure until we see the ortho next week.

Love looking at the pics of all of you guys that have little ones! Mine are 17, 15, and almost 11. I really miss those growing years - they go by so fast! One thing I'm noticing (and recalling from my own childhood) is that when they were little, I'd wrestle/tickle/cuddle with the kids all the time, & there was lots of hugs & kisses daily. Once the two oldest hit their teens, that pretty much went away - which is natural. But it's easy to forget that even the big kids need hugs and afirmation (even when they protest outwardly sometimes!) With my oldest boy Eric especially, since he's so huge (6'4" at 14), a lot of people & teachers have always expected him to act older than he is. And even me sometimes.

My dad came from a strict German immigrant family that showed little to no physical affection, and he swore when he had kids it'd be different, and it was - when we (5 boys) were little. Once we hit high school, we just got out of the habit of saying "I love you" and certainly no more kissing/hugging the old man! Finally my youngest brother started kissing him on the top of his head & saying "Love you Dad" when he was reclining in his Archie Bunker chair - kind of as a prank more than anything, but we could tell that even though he waved us away, he was happy to have us do this. I'm glad we re-started the habit of showing our love for him, because we didn't have too many years left & he died very suddenly.

So, you guys with little kids - enjoy ALL the craziness, and don't let is wear you down! Even the trying times are times you'll quickly miss. And as the kids get bigger, keep up your early habits of showing them love too. It's so easy to get caught up in the daily grind of school, work, & sports/activities that we can forget to show the ones we love the most how much they mean to us.

OK, off the soapbox now. Lets go play some golf!

P.S. If any of you have never seen Kramer vs. Kramer or Parenthood, those are two great movies about what it means to be a Dad.

Cute kids man. How is Noah liking being an older brother?

Siri speaks for me!

He's really enjoying his little sister, and is a "great" helper. He's still kind of learning that he doesn't always get our attention, especially when Mary is crying, so that's been a little rough. Otherwise things are going pretty well. I will say that having 2 is just a whole different dynamic, and I wish I would have enjoyed it more when Noah was younger.

Had my youngest (who's 10 but pretty small for him age and most think he's about 8) out at Harbor Freight the other day picking up some tools when we passed by a gun safe. He is a pretty loud child and we have to keep reminding him to quiet down when inside, but he asked:

"What's that for?"
"A Safe"
"What do you put in it"
"Well, you put valuables in it, but that one is specifically designed for guns"

And again, really loudly:

"Oooooohhh, Like for the Zombie Apocalypse!!!!!!"

I kind of chuckled and then looked around me and everyone in the store was looking at him laughing. He always comes up with something to say at the right moment. The joys of having a 10 year old with two teenage brothers.

Had my youngest (who's 10 but pretty small for him age and most think he's about 8) out at Harbor Freight the other day picking up some tools when we passed by a gun safe. He is a pretty loud child and we have to keep reminding him to quiet down when inside, but he asked:

"What's that for?"
"A Safe"
"What do you put in it"
"Well, you put valuables in it, but that one is specifically designed for guns"

And again, really loudly:

"Oooooohhh, Like for the Zombie Apocalypse!!!!!!"

I kind of chuckled and then looked around me and everyone in the store was looking at him laughing. He always comes up with something to say at the right moment. The joys of having a 10 year old with two teenage brothers.

That's funny! He'll wish he was this funny when he starts getting interested in girls - but by then he'll probably go all wakward around them!

Half rant half parenting thread...

My 6 year old daughter got invited to a friend's birthday party. Invitations never went out, just got an e-mail. After accepting the invitation the parent tells me the plans for the party. At which point I learn it is something called a Henna Party, which apparently is a deal where they hire an artist to come in and paint henna based art on the children. The art is pretty/nice, but basically these are tattoos that stay on the kid's bodies for a week. Full caveat that I am showing my age here, but I'm not comfortable with that. So now I get to go back to the parent and tell them we aren't coming and why. The only good news is my daughter isn't aware of the party yet so I don't have to deal with the disappointment.

Wacky Northwesterners lol. Henna party? Jeez.

We are playing freeze dance and having a scavenger hunt at my boy's party this weekend. I suppose I could ink some kids up though. Four years old. Time flies.

Wacky Northwesterners lol. Henna party? Jeez.

We are playing freeze dance and having a scavenger hunt at my boy's party this weekend. I suppose I could ink some kids up though. Four years old. Time flies.
Ha ha. I literally had one of those moments where it seemed so obviously bad that surely it couldn't be that bad and I must be way off base. I had to call my parents to run it by them to get a sanity check. That alone should have been a clue that this was messed up...going to my parents for a sanity check. Good one.

Half rant half parenting thread...

My 6 year old daughter got invited to a friend's birthday party. Invitations never went out, just got an e-mail. After accepting the invitation the parent tells me the plans for the party. At which point I learn it is something called a Henna Party, which apparently is a deal where they hire an artist to come in and paint henna based art on the children. The art is pretty/nice, but basically these are tattoos that stay on the kid's bodies for a week. Full caveat that I am showing my age here, but I'm not comfortable with that. So now I get to go back to the parent and tell them we aren't coming and why. The only good news is my daughter isn't aware of the party yet so I don't have to deal with the disappointment.

Could be worse. Could be a hemp party.

I remember my daughter did this henna stuff at around age 10-12. Six seems young. If the host parents are Indian background, I know this is fairly common in that culture, but I do not know what age it would be.

I wonder if they're actually using proper henna ink or if they would substitute something like body paint and just do the henna style.

I wonder if they're actually using proper henna ink or if they would substitute something like body paint and just do the henna style.
Thanks for the feedback eveyone. The parent said henna party and described it as a powder that lasts a week so I think it is henna ink. I am not sure, they may be Indian, in which case this well could be part of their culture.

My daughter just leaned over and gave me a kiss for the first time. I am sitting here sobbing like a little girl.

Awesome!

My daughter just leaned over and gave me a kiss for the first time. I am sitting here sobbing like a little girl.

That's a great feeling isn't it!? My wife and I put our daughter to bed last night, and we sang her "twinkle twinkle little star" and "you are my sunshine" like usual (real manly, but she loves it). So we're walking out and say I love you to her, she says I love you back. Thought she was saying it to both of us, then she says "I love you daddy". Talk about a good feeling and making you feel like a softy!

That is so cool!! Thanks for sharing that awesome moment with us.

Got some ups and downs to share from yesterday. First the ups. As I was getting ready to leave the house to go somewhere last night, I asked my 2.5 year old son if he wanted to give me a bye-bye hug, and being his little twerpy self says "no" and keeps playing. Rather than force him to hug me, I tell him I love him and start leaving. As I get to the door and get my keys, he stops playing and runs to me and jumps in my arms and gives me a huge hug. A wave of happiness crashed over me.

Now the downer. Teething! Same kid from up above is teething and wakes up in the middle of the night just sobbing in pain. We give him some kid's advil, but there isn't a lot more we can do. Such a helpless feeling when he's in some horrible pain and I can't help him. I just hope this goes quickly, because I feel bad and I'm getting next to 0 sleep and I don't know how long I can take it!

It warms the heart, I love coming home from work and getting hugs from the kids, melts away any bad feelings from the day at work!

That's a great feeling isn't it!? My wife and I put our daughter to bed last night, and we sang her "twinkle twinkle little star" and "you are my sunshine" like usual (real manly, but she loves it). So we're walking out and say I love you to her, she says I love you back. Thought she was saying it to both of us, then she says "I love you daddy". Talk about a good feeling and making you feel like a softy!

I don't know what could be more manly than being a solid dad and doing something for a daughter because she likes it.

Pretty exciting parenting moment for us this weekend. Bring our son to the ATL invitational to meet more THPers.

Got some ups and downs to share from yesterday. First the ups. As I was getting ready to leave the house to go somewhere last night, I asked my 2.5 year old son if he wanted to give me a bye-bye hug, and being his little twerpy self says "no" and keeps playing. Rather than force him to hug me, I tell him I love him and start leaving. As I get to the door and get my keys, he stops playing and runs to me and jumps in my arms and gives me a huge hug. A wave of happiness crashed over me.
Love it!

Now the downer. Teething! Same kid from up above is teething and wakes up in the middle of the night just sobbing in pain. We give him some kid's advil, but there isn't a lot more we can do. Such a helpless feeling when he's in some horrible pain and I can't help him. I just hope this goes quickly, because I feel bad and I'm getting next to 0 sleep and I don't know how long I can take it!
Sorry, man. Ugh, I don't miss those days. Sounds like you are doing all the stuff you can do...just gotta get through this phase.

Pretty exciting parenting moment for us this weekend. Bring our son to the ATL invitational to meet more THPers.
That's awesome, meeting the families at the MC was super cool. I can't wait to do it again, and actually bring my wife this time!!

My 5 year old is going to her first ever sleepover at a friends house tonight. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about it, not about the family cause we know them well, but that my little girl does ok on it. She's been on sleepover's at her cousins house and has does fine but still there is a part of me that wouldn't be surprised of a midnight phone call that someone wants to come get picked up. Fingers crossed!

She is pretty darn excited about it.

My 5 year old is going to her first ever sleepover at a friends house tonight. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about it, not about the family cause we know them well, but that my little girl does ok on it. She's been on sleepover's at her cousins house and has does fine but still there is a part of me that wouldn't be surprised of a midnight phone call that someone wants to come get picked up. Fingers crossed!

She is pretty darn excited about it.

Big first right there! How exciting/scary; they grow up so fast...

Back